Mega squirt/Emerald L28

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Anyone running a l28 a stand alone fuel/ign ecu I’m looking at the mega squirt ms2 set up .
but was wondering if anyone is currently running this or some thing similar like emerald ?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think think you'll find all sorts here, perhaps except Megasquirt.
I'm running Speeduino.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I’m on Emerald, no issues so far. They’re always dead busy but their support is good. We’ve done remote hook-up and tuning on mine. (I was impressed!)

peter_s

Club Member
Anyone running a l28 a stand alone fuel/ign ecu I’m looking at the mega squirt ms2 set up .
but was wondering if anyone is currently running this or some thing similar like emerald ?
What are your goals?

I'm running a EMU Classic from ECU master (which I can highly recommend). The MS2 feels like it's an antique in comparison to the new systems that have been out for the last 5 to 10 years.
MS2 lacks many features you want (even the MS3X lack I/O compared to the competition). For instance the MS2 lacks safety features like cutting ignition if the oil pressure drops.

If you want to run a standalone ECU, take advantage of what the modern stuff offers!

For instance, a EMU Classic is around 800 EUR. It has built in WBO and ignition coil outputs so you don't have to buy anything else. No addons or anything. Maxxecu offers something similar if you want something other than a ECU Master. Haltech is at least 2 times as expensive... for less features...

status

Well-Known Forum User
I’m running Emarald,have been for ages no issues with Rebello 3.2,lots out there just depends wot you want it for

Sky

Forum User
Hello all,
Annoyingly I didn’t see this when it fist went up.
I have also been looking into the same conversion. My car currently runs a single carb with a turbo (bit of a strange one I know)
Now I’m quite the novice so please forgive me if anything I say is wrong & feel free to correct me I’d prefer to know when I’m wrong.
The ms2 seems like a really good kit as it comes from what I can tell reasonably complete if you include all the extras.

How do the other ECU’s compare?
What makes the ms2 stand out or are the better options on the market for a reasonable price? Especially the UK based ones as it does add quite a lot of cost importing the ms2.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I tell people where ever you are going to take it for mapping, ask them what ecu they prefer as their the ones mapping it and it's all ways easier if you know what your working with.

Mr.G

Club Member
I tell people where ever you are going to take it for mapping, ask them what ecu they prefer as their the ones mapping it and it's all ways easier if you know what your working with.
That is spot-on advice.

I found that not many independent tuners use megasquirt, it is mainly for those wishing to get stuck into learning programming and soldering and quite often if you are that way inclined you are usually very hands on. That's why many going that route obtain a base map and do their mapping on the road as they drive.

Many moons ago, I originally bought a Megasquirt when they first came out. I didn't get on with it and sold it. I then had a choice of ECUs to go for, Omex, Emerald etc.. I chose neither and went for a Link ECU. They are brilliant but I have to travel a fair bit to take it to someone who is fully proficient in using them. So as Moggy says ask the person you intend on taking it to. I would go as far as to say find a good local tuner with good reviews, or one that has been recommended, and tell them your set-up and ask what ECU they'd recommend.

Sky

Forum User
Okay, sorry if this is a bit of a silly question but. Are most ECU’s relatively speaking the same thing but with different ways of programming? And does this mean end user they are the same if you not getting involved with the mapping?

Also does anyone know of a good kit for the fuel rail & sensors etc. I would also guess that different sensors work better or worse with the different ECU’s?

johnymd

Club Member
All ECU's basically do the same thing. They are all programmed to to adjust fuel and ignition based on engine sensors. The sensors generally will be Crank angle, throttle angle, Lambda, manifold pressure, coolant temp, intake air temp, plus optional knock and cam. Some have leaning functions that can be used during the initial tuning then turned off. Ecu's can generally be split into 3 groups. Low, medium and high end. The high end ECU's are much quicker and have the ability to control spark per cycle and cylinder whereas the low and medium groups are just not fast enough to do this. The problem I have found with the high end stuff is they are just too complicated for most of us to get to grips with so tuning costs can be very expensive.

Pondo

Club Member
You might also want to consider that mega squirt are near on impossible to get hold of and if you have problems whilst tuning you’ll then have to wait days if not weeks for a response.

Some of the other companies are fantastic and can connect to your car and diagnose any issues with the tuner straight away. Which in the long run might save you loads if your paying expensive tuning costs.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
I’ve run ms2 on my own car but having had a bad experience with a later install i decided to switch to emerald k6
and have now installed the same set up on x4 cars
The back up I’ve received from Emerald has been first class and have seen them hook up to a car at the tuners via teams
assisting in diagnostics and saving a lot of cost.
Emerald K6 will run everything your likely to need and can be ordered with build in coil drivers if runnning cop.
You will probably end up running wasted spark and batch firing but if you want to fit a cas rather than a trigger wheel you can run sequential

toopy

Club Member
I’ve run ms2 on my own car but having had a bad experience with a later install i decided to switch to emerald k6
and have now installed the same set up on x4 cars
The back up I’ve received from Emerald has been first class and have seen them hook up to a car at the tuners via teams
assisting in diagnostics and saving a lot of cost.
Emerald K6 will run everything your likely to need and can be ordered with build in coil drivers if runnning cop.
You will probably end up running wasted spark and batch firing but if you want to fit a cas rather than a trigger wheel you can run sequential
I had absolutely no idea what that last line meant, as I'd rather stick with carbs and spend the £3-4K+ needed for an injection system install on other things.
But i googled it all, and it's interesting stuff, and crucially appears to be not that complicated for the wasted spark/batch firing systems. Definitely on my radar now if i happen to find myself a bit 'flush' ;)

Reactions: Sky

Sky

Forum User
Thank you for your in-depth reply’s, confusing but really helpful!.

I’m hoping you can help me a bit more. My car currently runs an L28 with a single carb & a turbo. From what I understand not the best combination 😂.
I have been looking into changing this system to either fuel injection, keeping the Turbo or carbs & removing the fuel injection.
So far I haven’t really don’t know what to do. Price wise there doesn’t seem to be to much difference in buying the parts as I already have a new fuel injection head that came with the car.

Does anyone have any advice as to what they would do in my position?