Leak testing

yellowz

Club Member
I've got my dash out at the moment, replacing it. While its out I'd like to test the heater in the car to try to find a leak in the system.

Can I and is it safe to run the engine up to pressure without the dash in the car. I would have thought its OK but but being an idiot it's best to check before I break something!

Why not take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test it and boil it out if needed. If it has any leaks they can repair it at the same time and re-test before you install it? Just a thought.
Mike

Thanks Mike, all thoughts are welcome!
I've not got anyone near me to do it. Have flushed it and done a basic pressure test on the heater radiator with no noticeable leak. If its safe I'm planning on running the car and seeing where it leaks from, think it might be the valve. I have the ability to test the whole system out of the car but need to use the engine as the pressure and heat source.

Let’s think about this one logically.

Assuming you’re talking S30 Z with L-series engine:

Things you don’t need

1. The clock does nothing

2. Speedo not needed to run engine.

3. Water temp / oil pressure gauge not vital to running (except knowing you’re up to temp or that you have oil pressure). As long as you’re confident the engine hasn’t got oil pressure isssues and the cooling system works, then you don’t NEED them to run the engine. You can always use an infrared or other thermometer to track water temps at the radiator. I’d like to know this myself so as to avoid accidental over-heating.

What you do need

A. You will need the rev counter connected for the ignition to work as the low tension wiring from the coil goes through the back of the rev counter’s inductive pick-up. You can bypass this using a couple of spade connectors and a piece of wire to make a jumper for the connector block.

I believe it’s the coil positive that goes to the tach, so alternatively you can just add a direct connection from coil positive to the battery positive, but FUSED (5A) as close to the battery terminal as possible; a) to avoid a car-b-q and b) to be able to stop the engine by pulling the fuse!

Note: running a direct feed is also bypassing the ballast resistor (if one is installed), so make sure your coil is designed to run without the resistor (e.g. something like a flamethrower 1.5ohm coil). You can run the a ballast resistor type coil this way (I have done it while experimenting for 30 mins), but it will heat up quite a bit and may damage the coil. Also not great if you’re running points ignition as it will damage the points. Or if you understand the wiring, just connect it to the correct side of the ballast resistor (you can just buzz this out with a multimeter to determine which side is connected to the coil and connect your direct feed to the opposite side of the resistor).

B. If running an Ammeter / Fuel gauge, you need that one connected otherwise your alternator won’t work. If Voltmeter / Fuel gauge then you can get away without connecting it as the Voltmeter is only sensing and not vital to the operation of the alternator.

You can just disconnect the alternator and run the engine on the battery for a good while; also with a high output battery charger connected to the battery if required. Mine has a slow charge (upto 5A), fast charge (upto 15A), high output / engine start setting capable of delivering upto 80A.

Without everything else connected and just engine running, your ignition system needs c.3A max. A fully charged 90Ah battery should be good for the 5-10 mins you need to get the water temp up. Unless of course you need more juice for an electric fan (if installed).

Hope this rambling from an insomniac helps a little!

Keep us posted how you get on.

Last edited:
I have connected another car up to mine once to get the cooling system and engine up to temperature. I did this to heat cycle a "stuck" engine in an attempt to free it. It was connected to the heater hoses with hose pipes.

280z right? So power and switching of the ignition, injection and starter are in the dash, so without the dash you will have to provide alternate wiring and switching.
The johnymd plan seems easier....

Having said that, I think it's usually the valve on the right of the transmission tunnel.

Another way is to block one of the 2 hoses that go through the bulkhead to the heater valve and then pump air pressure into the other with a hand pump. If you have a leak, you will hear a hiss but won't get water inside the car. The residual water in the matrix and hoses will give you bubbling which will help. The usual culprits are the rubber hoses through the bulkhead or the valve.

Thanks All - dash will be going in to do this :conf2: sounds easier! Have done the basic leak tests but got nothing I can see while not hot and under pressure.

Extra requirements will be some Deep Heat and the number of a good chiropractor. Upside down backwards here we come..................

Thanks Kieron
If you can watch the radiator in the garage I'll be standing at the end of the drive in case it goes boom:) Appreciate the offer, will let you know.

Following on from 'successful' install back into the car for the heating system I have come across an issue I can't find an answer for.

When refitting the dash I had to use new air ducting as the old ones more or less crumbled and I had no idea of the routing and connecting. I cannot work out where the ducting for the side vents is supposed to connect inside the dash...........

I have connected the two tubes either side of the centre assembly as they are the vent supplies. When the air is directed into the car I think it is supposed to come from the middle of the dash and the side vents. My problem is I don't seem to have anywhere in the centre assembly to plug the feed to the side vents into. Looking in the 77 FSM I have the pic below which shows a 3 way ventilator duct with a feed coming out of either side. However I can't find a pic of a non a/c set up which mine is. As per the second photo, my version of that duct has plain sidewalls.

Has anyone got any knowledge of how the ducting is supposed to be connected please?

1704052583900.png
1704052767393.png

Attachments

• 1704052754311.png
    1704052754311.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 3
Back