LD28 parts discussion

Hands up moderators, I was feeling childish and frustrated. Genuine apologies.

point being this is a ‘club’-forum whatever you like to think of it as. We should support each other and our interest in cars, if that’s what your primary motivator is.

It does put a bit of sand between my toes abound certain buying to sell practices when it just raises costs or perceived values.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator

point being this is a ‘club’-forum whatever you like to think of it as. We should support each other and our interest in cars, if that’s what your primary motivator is.

It does put a bit of sand between my toes abound certain buying to sell practices when it just raises costs or perceived values.
No probs Jason, it's legitimate discussion, but should be in a separate thread from the ad.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
And for the avoidance of doubt, Sean isn't selling the two engines I bought a few week ago. I just checked, they're still in my shed.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm still intrigued by the suggestion of a 3.5L engine build on these. I did a bit of searching and I found a suggestion that Rebello used a 90 mm Crower crank. But neither Rebello nor Crower have published anything on it.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
The only way I can imagine doing this offset boring and fitting liners that will allow you to take the bore up to 91mm.
Last time I spoke to Dave Rebello he mentioned using the LD blocks which was annoying cos I’ve thrown mine away.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

Jason - I think you've forgotten about all the 280ZXs bought to break and beyond that, what 's wrong with someone hard-grafting* to turn a bit of profit to help get his own car back on the road AND help others with parts : noone's holding a gun to anyones' head to buy.
*the case here : I drove 300miles in a round trip to get these, removed one and the gearbox from the car and spent 2x days dismantling - how much do you earn at work in 3days ? I think that you should drop all your reactions here and on FB which appear to stem from some personal prejudice towards more abetted by a mutual aquaintance. You want to burry the hatchet - I'll dig the home and we can be friends again.:)

For information, both cranks and gearbox sold and strong interest on one block - the price is right ! Also, my JW stub axels sold, probably because I supplied them with OEM Subaru seals and cover gasket. Poeple want a whole package with less to do, just like the cranks.

Other cranks are here, I consider mine reasonably priced : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...dkigM6NdNPNIBGF31QZi9Eged3zkyOWvyr8tOadoVbXuA

Jon - Dave R sells a kit - this is what he told me : $6200 Pistons, rods, billet crank, rod and main bearings, MLS head gasket.

Jason - I think you've forgotten about all the 280ZXs bought to break and beyond that, what 's wrong with someone hard-grafting* to turn a bit of profit to help get his own car back on the road AND help others with parts : noone's holding a gun to anyones' head to buy.
*the case here : I drove 300miles in a round trip to get these, removed one and the gearbox from the car and spent 2x days dismantling - how much do you earn at work in 3days ? I think that you should drop all your reactions here and on FB which appear to stem from some personal prejudice towards more abetted by a mutual aquaintance. You want to burry the hatchet - I'll dig the home and we can be friends again.:)

For information, both cranks and gearbox sold and strong interest on one block - the price is right ! Also, my JW stub axels sold, probably because I supplied them with OEM Subaru seals and cover gasket. Poeple want a whole package with less to do, just like the cranks.

Other cranks are here, I consider mine reasonably priced : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=datsun ld crank&_sacat=0&fbclid=IwAR2Pk_IRsZHjbldkigM6NdNPNIBGF31QZi9Eged3zkyOWvyr8tOadoVbXuA

Jon - Dave R sells a kit - this is what he told me : $6200 Pistons, rods, billet crank, rod and main bearings, MLS head gasket.

there’s less over in the states. Have you seen what snow costs in Saudi?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
inspired by Rebello, I've started my build.
job 1: modify timing cover.

DSC_0009.jpg
DSCPDC_0000_BURST20200405120417425.JPG

job 2 is probably remove broken seized bolts, but I think my enthusiasm is much exhausted for today [emoji18]

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
inspired by Rebello, I've started my build.

[[emoji18]

Nice Jon! Following with interest! You certainly have the time at the moment at least :)

PS. I think we have the same shed!!!! Highly recommend Osmo Oil.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Nice Jon! Following with interest! You certainly have the time at the moment at least :)

PS. I think we have the same shed!!!! Highly recommend Osmo Oil.
it took me a while to figure out that Osmo oil is for the shed, not the engine!
it certainly won't be a cheap using that block so the shed won't be getting any investment any time soon.
so far I've an idea of how to get the block out to 90mm and where I can get some looong 150mm rods that should fit the big end (Isuzu 4ze1) and take advantage of the tall block.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
it took me a while to figure out that Osmo oil is for the shed, not the engine!

No you monkey, it’s to run the engine on!! How do you think DR is getting those BHP figures!?!!

Well chap, you’re an awesome engineer, so I’m looking forward to all your solutions and working the problems / challenges.

As a matter of interest, the block is what 20mm taller? So why is that such an issue? My bonnet closes with the choke cable holder bent up and without fouling which is easily a couple of inches. So except for the rods / pistons etc why is the extra height such an issue?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
So Osmo oil is worth 100bhp? I'll definitely switch to it!

I've heard some suggest they have only 1 inch clearance between engine and bonnet, so taking 20mm out of it seems to worry them.
For me, it'll probably be challenging for my strut tower brace, but I'll deal with that when I get to it. But generally I don't see a problem.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
So Osmo oil is worth 100bhp? I'll definitely switch to it!

I've heard some suggest they have only 1 inch clearance between engine and bonnet, so taking 20mm out of it seems to worry them.
For me, it'll probably be challenging for my strut tower brace, but I'll deal with that when I get to it. But generally I don't see a problem.
Drop the motor mounts 1/2”? I’m sure one of the racers on here has done it to get his exhausts to clear the trans tunnel.

Paul_S

Club Member
Drop the motor mounts 1/2”? I’m sure one of the racers on here has done it to get his exhausts to clear the trans tunnel.
Do you know if that's easy to do? I don't remember any adjustment so I guess it means changing the mounts for something slimmer, or a bit of fabrication?