jacking points

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
hi everyone,
this sounds like a stupid question but where are all the jacking points on a late 260z?
im guessing the main front cross member is one of them and the cross member at the rear just in front of the diff is the other?

plus once jacked up where would a good place to put axle stands?

thanks in advance

james

That's where I jack mine. By all accounts, it's fine to jack on the diff too.
I have wood blocks that go on the in-board end of the control arms for the axle stands.

i suppose the wheels would get in the way plus having the legs of the lift so close together in the middle of the car would mean it isnt so well supported and balanced.

problem i have is i have a wide trolley jack so once ive jacked the car up i cant fit the axle stands in or around the same area.

The axle stand usually go under the antiroll bars, close to the mounting points, or front tie bar inner mounts. On a lift I usually put the fronts in this place and the rears at the back outer corner of the floorpan.

Here is an image of a late model S30 jack (the late model jack has the S30 profile on it). The raising point positions are illustrated on a decal on the factory jack. They are semicircular cut outs in the bottom seam of the rocker panels. These factory jacking points, of course, rely on the rocker panels being in a satisfactory condition to support the cars weight though. I suspect this would need to be approached with care (or trepidation).

Attachments

• Jack(2).JPG
    Jack(2).JPG
    869.6 KB · Views: 50
The guy who restored my car back in 2000 welded a thickish square metal plate onto each chassis rail where it sits under the bulkhead for lifting. Might be an option for lifting the car but need to use a low level trolley jack to get under there.
I've lifted the rear at the diff as per the manual. Thereafter got some clunks from the drivetrain when driving but disappeared after a few outings
For MOT's / jobs I find a garage with a drive on lift and insist they use that before I book it in.

Like John Palmer I use the front tie-bar inner mounts for axle stands. The rear anti-roll bar mounts for axle stands.

For jacking I use the front crossmember (middle plate) and rear crossmember just rear of the diff.

I sometimes place the removed wheels under the sills (just in case) but not touching.

Back