How to apply for MOT Exemption? | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

How to apply for MOT Exemption?

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Woody928, Aug 21, 2018.

  1. Woody928

    Z Club Member
    Staff Member Moderator

    Hi all,

    My 240z is due its annual MOT shortly however given the new rules I intend to apply to have it made exempt. Does anyone know the current process of how to do this?

    I understand that you need to apply, it's not automatic, however I cannot find much info. I have found the V112 form from the DVLA which it implies you can fill in when you renew your tax at the post office which seems very outdated and unhelpful as my vehicle is taxed, but nothing more.

    I just wondered if anyone had completed the process or not? (if not then I'll get on the phone and speak to the DVLA about it and post back). Also not looking to spark an MOT debate, I wish to exempt mine for my own reasons.

    Cheers, Mark
  2. johnymd

    Z Club Member

    I have done this on one of mine and it was extremely simple...…..just can't remember how I did it. It may have just been a tick box when I taxed it online.
  3. richiep

    Z Club Member

    You can declare it online if your existing MOT has expired when taxing. Or you can print the V112 off and present it when taxing in person at the post office instead of presenting a valid MOT form. The grey area is when your MOT runs out but you are months away from retaxing (this is the case with my car this week as well as yours Mark). In this case when your MOT lapses, in theory, you do not need to declare anything until the next re-tax. Apparently, the DVLA database assumes that all cars 40 years old or more are MOT exempt by default. In the interim, I’ve seen it said that it will show “MOT status unknown” rather than MOT expired in the system. I’ve stuck a signed V112 in the glovebox to produce should I get pulled over.

    Another option some people have done is SORN the car when the MOT runs out, and then four days later (minimum length of SORN) they retax and check the exemption declaration. Then it’s all on record. This only works if the MOT is expired; I tried SORNing and retaxing while I was on hols and if it has a valid MOT, it doesn’t ask you to make the exemption declaration.
  4. toopy

    Z Club Member

    My MOT has expired while the car has been stuck on the drive with brake issues, i wasnt going to bother exempting it, as i will likely get it checked over every year anyway.
    However i must admit, not being tied to a specific MOT date would be convenient, and i could just have the garage give it a once over at my convenience :)

    The tax though is current until April next year, so if what you mention above is correct, i cant exempt it anyway!

    Just done an online MOT check and it said 'no results returned' so should i just forget about an MOT until next year, because if i do MOT it now, ill be in the same situation again, regards exemption!
  5. richiep

    Z Club Member

    There you go - “no results returned” (I got the wording wrong). Note it doesn’t say “expired”. Assuming you don’t fall foul of the substantially changed definition (which you won’t), your car doesn’t need an MOT. If the seeming limbo status bothers you between now and next April, do what I suggested- SORN it for the minimum period and when you retax, declare the exemption online. Otherwise, just continue to use and have a signed V112 handy in the glovebox!

    OR just keep MOTing. Your choice. The long-term threat of course is the MOT continuing to move away from suitability to classic cars, making them harder to pass. That’s one reason why the exemption has been extended:
  6. AD240Z

    AD240Z Forum User

    Like this.

    My car was sorned and I went to tax it online after the ‘no mot’ changes.

    You put in the details from your v5 or renewal , and a prompted box appears telling you it qualifies for exemption .

    Just tick that. The whole thing took less than 10 mins . No forms or messing about. Astonishingly simple for the DVLA .....
  7. toopy

    Z Club Member

    Thanks Richie, I think i'll just leave it as is for now, then when the car is garaged for the winter, i'll sorn it for a week and then re-tax and exemption :cheers:
  8. Woody928

    Z Club Member
    Staff Member Moderator

    Thank you all for the responses and input.

    Cheers dude, this is the answer I needed to hear, we may even want to make this a sticky on the forum for future reference?

    I know my dad has just renewed the tax for 12 months so I'd have to check with him as to what he has done. I'm definitely in the grey area now thanks to this, I'll fill in the bank V112 form I've got on my desk and stick it in the glovebox for peace of mind. I'm glad this isn't me just being stupid and the DVLA just haven't clarified or come up wit ha system to fully cope with the changes yet.
  9. toopy

    Z Club Member

  10. moggy240

    moggy240 INSURANCE VALUATIONS OFFICER Staff Member Moderator

    Personally I think it's not good to go mot exempt, I did it as was easier to get my car registered but then afterwards I got it Mot for peace of mind and some insurance companies have a box where you tick if you have a current mot or mot exempt, call me paranoid but seems like excuse not to pay out if involved in an accident.and would you prefer to buy a car that has been mot exempt for 10 years or a car that has had a mot every year
    Jimbo and Paul_S like this.
  11. toopy

    Z Club Member

    I fully appreciate what your saying, and for my own piece of mind, i will be getting it checked over every year or so.
    It's not that i want to avoid the MOT, just that convenience wise, it would be much easier not to be tied to a yearly time scale,
    so if i had a Saturday spare between shows and/or family commitments, i can get it sorted at approx on an annual basis to suit me and not the law! :)

    In a few years time, old cars with no recent MOT history will be the norm anyway, but having paperwork to hand to prove its been looked at in some shape or form will be desirable nonetheless, from a sale/insurance claim basis i expect.
  12. ron240

    ron240 New Forum User

    Hi Moggy

    I was looking at registering my 260 before starting the restoration (not to have an unroadworthy on the road) but to give me the Pease of mind that the car in uk register before spending a year and a small fortune on it first.
    I have the V55/5, US certificate of title and nova ref number. I know I need uk insurance on chassis number and can I send a V112 as I can’t do it online until it is registered ?

    Thanks Ron
  13. moggy240

    moggy240 INSURANCE VALUATIONS OFFICER Staff Member Moderator

    Hi ron
    You don't need insurance to register your unless you get a Mot beforehand.

    Just print off the V112 form fill it it in, leave the registration number part blank and send with your v55 form etc
    You have to do the v112 with the V55 to get it Mot exempt otherwise you need to get it Mot and insured before you can register it. It just the way the system works.
  14. ron240

    ron240 New Forum User


    Good news

    cheers Ron
  15. franky

    Z Club Member

    Good to hear, I read it as possible to register an imported car without an MOT.
  16. Robbie J

    Robbie J
    Z Club Member

    How do you do this? I need a few bits to pass an MOT but if there is a way to get it registered without waiting?
  17. Jay.

    Z Club Member

    I did the same for logistical reasons - checked the "MOT Exempt" bit and got it MOT'd .. Not sure where it leaves the car now for next year though!
  18. Farmer42

    Z Club Member

    I'm glad this thread popped up again. It got me to check the status on my car and it was a bit worrying. I renewed my tax on 1 March before my existing MOT ran out on 16 March and I ticked the exemption box on the tax form when I renewed it online. A few days later, I checked the tax site at DVLA and it said that my vehicle was taxed and MOT exempt.

    Having looked again after reading this thread, I checked the MOT status and it now says 'no results returned' . To add to this another site on says it has expired. It has now cast doubt in my mind as to what would come up on the ANPR system if Plod was following me. I'm a Civil Servant so am not going to slag off a fellow Government Dept but I do wish government systems would start talking to each other and not leave us punters totally confused.:EXTRAconfused:

    Going to carry a V112 in the glove box as suggested just in case.
  19. MaximG

    Z Club Member

    It would appear that if your car s registered as Historic then it automatically falles into MOT exempt.
  20. richiep

    Z Club Member

    “No results returned” is the default in the system for an exempt car. So you’ve nothing to worry about if that’s what shows for your car. Of course, that doesn’t mean it’s a satisfactory solution!

    I’m in Berlin right now, but at home I’ve got the latest issue of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs’ magazine and there is an update on this issue. I’ll have a look when I get home tonight.
    MaximG likes this.

Share This Page