Hitachi carb parts UK?

Carl Platel

Club Member
Good morning everyone please can I ask advice again 🫡
Question 1:
where’s the best place to buy needles & jets and also the two new fuel float operated needle valves. I have two different Length ones, which I guess is not good , the longer one keeps getting stuck off, I guess when fuel level drops, I understand I could possibly adjust this out but it would seem that the shorter option is original, so I’m after two new shorter ones

Question 2:
Can I buy SU parts to fit the Hitachi HJG46W -R8…..2802H I believe referred to as round tops

Question 3:
I noticed lots of 240Z owners retain the original air filter set up I get that it’s orange and looks great but are there better options that are the go to upgrade or is this absolute sacrilege on a 22,000 mile one owner car 😱🤭🤫😁
Thanks again for any help I’m learning lots and your time is greatly appreciated 🙏 Carl

Kieronpollock

Club Member
I use these Weber Ramflo air filters and very happy with them. Whisky clearly not stock they don’t look out of place in the engine bay in my opinion

Attachments

• IMG_5583.png
    IMG_5583.png
    395.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5584.png
    IMG_5584.png
    520.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4233.jpeg
    IMG_4233.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 18

Kieronpollock

Club Member
I use these Weber Ramflo air filters and very happy with them. Whisky clearly not stock they don’t look out of place in the engine bay in my opinion
Sorry ignore the eBay shop photo, I have the round not oblong ones but they can advise you which ones to buy to fit your carbs

Attachments

• IMG_5585.png
    IMG_5585.png
    365.7 KB · Views: 8

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Hi Carl

Q1: needles, probably Burlen in the UK. Jets are a different story I'm afraid, I think Ztherapy in the USA are the only ones with jets (other members can confirm) unsure on those float level parts, it could be the same story as the jets.

Hitachi SUs on these cars don't have a lot of part availablity. Genuine SU parts however, there's loads of part availablity.

Q2: yes the conversion is easy to do, a lot of members have made the change themselves. You can go to SU direct for these, but cheaper if you can find it on eBay - does pop up now and again.

Q3: I'm running K&N filters with their own kit. I've still got to figure out how to get the fuel pipe from my carbs into them 😬

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_124331.jpg
    IMG_20210912_124331.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 9

Paul_S

Club Member
With regard to originality, I think everything you want to do is reversible, so just keep the original parts somewhere safe and it can always be reverted to factory spec in the future.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Question 3:
I noticed lots of 240Z owners retain the original air filter set up I get that it’s orange and looks great but are there better options that are the go to upgrade or is this absolute sacrilege on a 22,000 mile one owner car 😱🤭🤫😁
Thanks again for any help I’m learning lots and your time is greatly appreciated 🙏 Carl

I'd ask yourself what you're looking for that you're not currently getting with the OEM setup. That orange airbox is a basic kind of cold-air intake which you'll lose if you switch to K&N pancake filters etc.

Farmer42

Club Member
The only SU part that will fit a Hitachi carb is the fixed needles. Nothing else will fit as the SU is imperial measurements and the Hitachi is metric and the tolerances are different.
You will find it nearly impossible to get refurb kits for Hitachi's in this country but there are a few suppliers in the US. Beware of getting these though as they are expensive and may not solve any problems. My advice is to take the carb linkage off and check the play in the throttle shaft. It will move in and out a little but any movement in any other direction and the bushes are worn. You will never get it to run properly and your repair kit will be useless.

I think I have said this before on a different thread of yours recently, HS6 carbs are a good replacement for Hitachi's and you can get all the bits in this country from Burlen.

WRT the OEM air filter box, keep it if you can. It does help with cold air induction and will help your car run better. I do have a couple of K&N round, 75mm deep air filters if you want them. I didn't find them very good so would sell them on.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Isn't there are K and N filter available for the original 240z metal airbox...? I would keep original on an original 22k miler.

From what I am seeing, there is a little cross use of Hitachi carb parts with other models from Nissan..., so you may have to look wider and see (though they still are on the scant side).

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Isn't there are K and N filter available for the original 240z metal airbox...? I would keep original on an original 22k miler.

From what I am seeing, there is a little cross use of Hitachi carb parts with other models from Nissan..., so you may have to look wider and see (though they still are on the scant side).
Yes there is and there are two types - one is about 12mm wider than the other - make sure you buy the right one!

Ont240

Forum User
My last inquiry to K&N usa in November; the answer was no longer in production of E-2900 (1973 thinner one) if you find one scoop it and use weather seal foam strip for the earlier years which is wider.