Historic Vehicle Taxation (VED Exemption)

Mr.F

Inactive
Advice from the FBHVC:
The next extension for Exemption from VED will be to the 31st December 1974 and comes into force in April 2015. You are advised that you don't need to wait until April to have the DVLA record a date change. If you have a vehicle which crosses the line you don't have to wait until April to make the application. In fact the DVLA are on record as indicating that they would prefer early requests as it would spread their workload.
If the vehicle in question is registered in 1975 but you suspect that it was manufactured in 1974 then you will need a letter from The Z Club confirming its status and a copy of the relevant pages from the Glass's Car Check Guide for the period (available FOC to paid up members).

For reference the relevant 31/12/74 chassis numbers for the 260Z are now:

2 seater RS30-005095
2 + 2 GRS30- 005469

These are the numbers that will be confirmed by the Glass's Guide.

For your information, the correct address for changes to a date of manufacture should now be addressed to:

Central Capture Unit
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA

It is recommended that all applications are neatly presented, typed (computer printed) where possible, logically arranged with a list of contents and a concise covering letter. Documents ideally should all be of the same size and clipped together. Any photographs included should be a a good quality - sharp, clear and well lit.

Thanks for the info Mike. Am I correct in thinking that my car will automatically be classed as exempt without me doing anything (first registered in Feb 1974)? Or do I still have to send an application in to them?

My car was built in '73 but can't see the point trying to argue that with them as it will be exempt from April anyway.

If the date of first registration is in 1975 then you will have to apply to get it changed via DVLA with supporting documentation. If the registration document shows a valid date then you can apply at your local Post Office.

Thanks Mike, I was the one that phoned you the other day about a deep valance, certainly made everything clearer about the date of my car, gonna be much easier now sourcing bits.

If the vehicle in question is registered in 1975 but you suspect that it was manufactured in 1974 then you will need a letter from The Z Club confirming its status and a copy of the relevant pages from the Glass's Car Check Guide for the period (available FOC to paid up members).

For reference the relevant 31/12/74 chassis numbers for the 260Z are now:

2 seater RS30-005095
2 + 2 GRS30- 005469

These are the numbers that will be confirmed by the Glass's Guide.

Mike

Does the Glass's Guide cover imports, specifically JDM? If so, can I please get a copy of the 1975 pages covering VIN GS30-0016934. I have been trying to find out the year of manufacture cos DVLA have messed up my V5 and given my car as a 1971 240Z when it is a 1975? Fairlady Z 2+2. I at least know they didn't make the 2+2 until 1973/4 so it is definitely not 71.

I have seen previous threads about VIN numbers going way back (2003) and I have also seen the VIN Check on the Black Dragon Auto website in the US but nothing gives a definite year for my car. I did write to you some while ago on this but not had anything back yet.

Not interested in sending the V5 for correction yet as at least the cock-up means that it is Tax Exempt but would be interested to satisfy curiosity in case I need to sell in the future.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

The Glass's check guide is specifically for UK cars. For accurate data on Fairlady JDM models you could contact Nissan Japan. Details in another earlier thread.

Update:

e-mailed Nissan on Friday, received the reply this morning - usual Japanese efficiency, brilliant!!. They provided me with a dating letter so hopefully DVLA will be happy with that when I eventually send it to them.

In case anyone wishes to do the same, the e-mail address is postoffice@nissan.co.jp

I have received a letter from Nissan Japan confirming my 260 Z 2+2 was manufactured in september 1974.
My question is,do I need any further proof of tax exemption other than a copy of this letter.

I thank anyony who kindly replies. Tony Bates anthon51.

Thanks for that Mike, I will try to get them to send me a copy unless I must get through you.Regards Tony Bates

Hi Mike,Tony again,.having been on Glasses car check guide I can,t find anything on Datsun Zs so I am having to rely on you to supply me wit the relevant info. I already have the letter from Nissan Japan confirming my 260Z 2+2 was manufactured in september 1974 with the chassis number of GRS 30-001062 it was first registered in March 1975 with the REG of HED880N and it is now 1126 WU.The Selling Dealer was A B Motors LTD Mill Lane.Newton-Le-Willows.I hope this is enough info but if not let me know.Tony Bates.

Luckily for the club members Mike sourced a relevant years copy of the Gasses Check Guide last year not long after the DVLA changed the goalposts by Stating just a letter from Nissan was insufficient and that proof was needed also from a relevant Glasses Guide and luckily the Club decided to purchase it to enable Mike to assist members getting a copy of the relevant pages from the Glass's Car Check Guide for the period (available FOC to paid up members)

Well I sent my letter & glasses guide excerpt etc off back in early December, with a request to note the manf, date as 1974.
I duly got my V5 back today, exactly the same as the old one. nothing changed.
Still PLG tax class, still registered 01/03/1975 and no note of the manf. date.
And no covering letter explaining it.

Great :smash:

Jon - I had the same thing several times. They never provide an explanation letter or enter into any conversation until after they return your application. It's all very frustrating.

Back