Green LHD 240z

johnymd

Club Member
Picked up the last of the "first batch" of cars today and its now at Terry's for an initial look over. First impressions are very good with no visible rust or repairs. The lacquer has pealed off from most of the car but the paint is all intact so usable in the rain without fear of going rusty. The drivers door has some accident damage to the middle of the skin but it all fits well so ill probably repair it rather than use one of the spare doors I got with the car. The whole underside of the car is in great condition with no welding required. Complete interior is all intact but the drivers seat is well worn. Brakes look new and has new front springs. All the dampers feel good and it drove well around the estate. Engine appears to be a fresh rebuild that hasn't been run!!! All new gaskets, clean unused oil, filter and freshly painted block. Looking in the rocker cover shows no sign of oil. New fuel filter, coolant and spotless round top su's. turned it over and it fired up and run straight away with oil now at the head and good oil pressure. Revs well and sounds crisp. Odd that there was no mention of the engine in the add. All the lights, indicator ect work so looks like its time for the mot. Also new tyres and 15" ally cat wheels plus a new front bumper. The engine bay is in nice, unrestored original green paint which I prefer to a restored one.

Now I really don't know what to do about a daily driver. Having just done all the jobs on the orange one to make that a nice usable car, I now quite fancy making this the daily as its pretty much ready to go.

I'll sleep on it and have another think in the morning.

status

Well-Known Forum User
You look like a dog Sean baby,aPekanese,even my border terrorist is better looking than you,and she is ugly,like the interior Jon,goes with the green

johnymd

Club Member
You have to look beneath the skin Sean. It may look a bit tatty but underneath its all good and I don't mind the ratty look. I probably wouldn't call it a dog but I'd agree with you that's its nowhere near as pretty as the orange one. I may keep them both for a while and see which one grows on me. I still have the other 2 to play with and one of those may evolve into the daily. It's still early days.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Aha, from Mike from Sacramento? I did see this car, it has no rust not at all from the pics I saw ...

He comes across like a really genuine 240 guy ... If I hadn't bought mine I would have bought an orange one from him that he had. Great car, no rust, etc. Like most of his as they're all CA cars.

He's had loads down the years and races an orange one ... There's a few videos on YouTube. He's got three or four others presently.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Great collection you have in Essex lads!

It looks lowered John and is it a manual?

Decisions, decisions! You could drive these cars around without any problems but if you wanted to convert to RHD, paint, 5 speed, diff, interior etc it would cost thousands. Keep them as they are John plus they are far more interesting like that.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Decisions, decisions! You could drive these cars around without any problems but if you wanted to convert to RHD, paint, 5 speed, diff, interior etc it would cost thousands. Keep them as they are John plus they are far more interesting like that.

Or you could sell them.........!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You look like a dog Sean baby,aPekanese,even my border terrorist is better looking than you,and she is ugly,like the interior Jon,goes with the green

I have less hair than a Pekinese. You have the advantage John - I've only seen 1x photo from the top-side.

Since 260Zs are rarer, I'm surprised that forlock above prefers that you keep the 240Z (probably a closet 240Z lover and regrets selling his).;)

status

Well-Known Forum User
I do regret selling the green 240 which Mike B has in Ireland now,had to sell the jenson interceptor at the same time as moved house and only had room for the 260'hard life ain't it,got another lined up but at the end of the day a240 doesn't drive as god as a late 260,I've had em all so I know,I just like the late 260 interior better,has more class like me,Jon is now the Essex Zed baron,there ain't any left,he's got em all,no wonder they are rare,when I pop in to Essex might look him up ,

johnymd

Club Member
No 2 zeds are the same. I have plenty to compare with and they all have their own personalities that make them feel and look different and I love them all for different reasons. That's why its such a hard choice to pick which one's must stay.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
..... but at the end of the day a240 doesn't drive as god as a late 260,I've had em all so I know,I just like the late 260 interior better,has more class like me,
Class ? Platsic wooden trim and almost '80s type (look closely at a 280ZX) ventilation panel.
All superficial....like.....

And ANY Z whether it be 240, 260 or 2+2 can today be made to drive nicely on any roads and that applies even when stock which your 260Z isn't and neither will be my 240Z.

Aint none better - just different as John says.

status

Well-Known Forum User
You r right there baldy but I was talking in data dared form,apart from the plastic steering wheel on the 240 it's not a bad motor for an old Datsun,Jon is right,they all have their own personality which can't be said for some of the riff raff you get on here,Jon has pushed the prices of RHD up over here so thanks for that Jon,

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
No 2 ...... are the same. I have plenty to compare with and they all have their own personalities that make them feel and look different and I love them all for different reasons......

Hence Harems! :blush:

Yep old cars do have character and that's why if poss. it's nice to leave them alone (unlike women).

My posts are getting like Sean's I'd better be careful.

johnymd

Club Member
Not so sure I agree with you Rob about leaving them alone. They develope a character in their 40+ years from previous owners. It would be very boring if they were ALL exactly as they came out of the showroom. Going to shows would be pointlessas you would just have a row of identicle cars with the only difference being the amount of tyre ware. Individualarity has whats made zeds so appealing to me and many others. Its what got me into them in the '80's and why I didnt buy a tr6 or mgb. It's OK to have maybe 1 or 2 original cars in the club but I wouldn't want to see any more IMO.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My comments about leaving cars alone are a bit tongue-in-cheek and of course most do need extensive work including bodywork and paint. It's just that very often the 'patina' is lost. I just like to see these 'barn finds' - an overused phrase I know, left alone.

Take for instance this green car, many buyers would strip it to bare metal, paint it (diff colour?), renew interior, perhaps convert to RHD if they have the bits, big wheels, lower/stiffer and then would it have the character you are mentioning (even smell). It would be another shiny Z but all it's US character lost. It's nice to imagine these cars and the miles they have done in their country of sale.

Of course if the work is necessary to get them back on the road fair enough and like your Hybrid you can give the car another life. To some extent I did that with my old car (which needed extensive work) and like you I had lots of great memories, and then someone else gave it another life.

I'm currently looking at hiring a holiday cottage in the Lakes for next summer and the ones that I'm attracted to are the slate floor, stone wall type however like Datsun Dave has pointed out before, I want modern facilities.

Interesting I think.

richiep

Club Member
Thing is, this car's US character is the product of an evolution over its life. Whatever gets done to it next is part of that evolution. for example, fixing the paint shouldn't be seen as a negative, given that it isn't the original paint job or colour anyway. It's got non-standard wheels and looks lower than standard.

I don't see the appeal in protecting someone else's choices when they might not be to one's own tastes. Unless the car is a real survivor with original paint, low miles, one owner etc., why shouldn't it get 'reinterpreted' again? And I don't think a total restoration necessarily wipes out the patina and classic vibe either. My car was obviously totally taken apart and rebuilt with lots of new bits but it still smells like a 44-year-old car. It's the intrinsic nature of the interior plastics and vinyl. The old foam in the dash. The smell of the old heater and vent system when warm. Plus I never changed the cr4ppy old carpets! :D

This is another great car btw John. I loved that it was a running driving car that could've doubled as a daily before having any significant work done. I seriously nearly bid on it but it ended on the day we got taken over at work and that event totally soured my desire to spend money when I found myself thinking about resigning on the spot and preparing for a few months of daytime TV as a stay at home Dad!

I'm sure I will scratch my next Z project itch soon though... ;)

johnymd

Club Member
I think we are all in relative agreement and our views are not too far apart. I guess none of us want to see cars spoilt or we drift too far from the path. I sometimes like to create my own paths but resist changeing the body as I like it just the way it is. Maybe some minnor tweaks. I've started to like the look of an unrestored engine bay, as long as its not too far gone. I like a car to apear used.

On a side note. when I picked this one up from the port it was parked next to another 240z. I wonder who's that is?