Engine drain block

Sam_C

Club Member
Hi all. I need to replace my coolant and tried to remove the engine block drain plug. Even with a very long bar it doesn’t seem interested in coming out!. I guess I can’t apply any heat to it as it would burn the paint off, so what are my options? If I press on with the long breaker is there a chance of cracking the block? Is it absolutely necessary to take it out? Would an impact driver work? Etc etc! All suggestions gratefully received ta!😊

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Got any photos? The coolant is drained from the radiator. The oil can be drained from the engine block (oil pan)?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Got any photos? The coolant is drained from the radiator. The oil can be drained from the engine block (oil pan)?
Theres a drain plug on the left rear, under the exhaust manifold. Draining from the radiator only drains as low as the water inlet on the timing cover where the return comes in from the rad.

Mr.G

Club Member
Usually removed when flushing as its hard to get to under the exhaust manifold, is that what you are undoing? Localised heat on bolt should help

If you're not flushing then just drain radiator and replace with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and deionized water, don't use the OAT stuff. (If it's ready mixed then you just fill as is, don't dilute any further).

Attachments

• 20231222_081358.jpg
    20231222_081358.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hi all. I need to replace my coolant and tried to remove the engine block drain plug. Even with a very long bar it doesn’t seem interested in coming out!. I guess I can’t apply any heat to it as it would burn the paint off, so what are my options? If I press on with the long breaker is there a chance of cracking the block? Is it absolutely necessary to take it out? Would an impact driver work? Etc etc! All suggestions gratefully received ta!😊
Maybe its had radweld or similar in the past. I think the block is pretty tough. Heat and an impact gun might do it, or give up and take it out and tip it out the water inlet.
As George says, if you're only changing the antifreeze, it'll be ok to leave the last litre or two in the block.

Sam_C

Club Member
Thanks gents. Yes, it’s just an antifreeze change. What’s the OAT stuff that I shouldn’t be using?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
OAT is organic and typically not blue in colour. IAT is inorganic and blue (although you should always read the label!!).

OAT likes eating metal parts in classic car cooling systems over time (especially likes munching on copper solder joints) - best avoided unless in an emergency situation!

Use something like this: https://www.mymotorworld.com/bluecol-2-year-blue-antifreeze-coolant-5l

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Cheers Ali👍
Most welcome buddy - just don’t forget you’re supposed to drain and refresh every couple of years as I believe some of the inhibitors degrade with use and over time.

toopy

Club Member
Most welcome buddy - just don’t forget you’re supposed to drain and refresh every couple of years as I believe some of the inhibitors degrade with use and over time.
On that note, what do people do with the drained fluid? The last couple of times I've taken it to the local tip for recycling, but not all places accept that sort of thing. Back in the day with previous cars it just got drained into the kerb! :oops:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
On that note, what do people do with the drained fluid? The last couple of times I've taken it to the local tip for recycling, but not all places accept that sort of thing. Back in the day with previous cars it just got drained into the kerb! :oops:
I leave it out for the neighbours' cats. They love it, although they don't seem to come back a second time. 😋🤷

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I leave it out for the neighbours cats. They love it, although they don't seem to come back a second time. 😋🤷
I was wondering what happened to our cat!!

Dumps have become far too fussy on such things for my liking which has precipitated an increase in the amount of fly tipping around us! :(

arcdef

Club Member
i take mine to the local tip and they tell me to put it with the used engine oil. Only allowed a couple of containers at a time though.