Early shells

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Are the very first yr of production shells any different from later cars.

I know there is the lack of cubbie holes behind the seats but someone told be the metal is different???

Air vents in the hatch too, and stick-on rear quarter emblems instead of vents... that's all I know. Maybe there were some manufacturing 'issues' with metallurgy or panel thickness? Unforseen problems usually happen early in a production run.

Are the very first yr of production shells any different from later cars.

I know there is the lack of cubbie holes behind the seats but someone told be the metal is different???

Hi Vipergts

I started a thread recently trying to find this out - without much success.
You could try zhome.com and ask the question - you might get lucky.

Mark

Agreed , but it also covers big sam and talks a little about the HS model , amongst a load more useful info.Carl Beck has also got a huge amount of info about everything Z , and could be worth asking. Also , isnt that where the first year of production went mainly?The Z was primarily a USA market car , was it not?

Arrh youth, so entertaining what the little blighters come out with....:bow:
If you're talking about my comment Sean then I am simply saying that any differences in metal composition or thickness may simply be a result of production process. It still happens today, tolerances might be smaller now but you can (and usually will) have two panels stamped consecutively that will have different thicknesses and therefore weight.

Might be a better ploy to politely point out the error in believing that Z was primarily a USA market car

Seems a bit of a shame in some ways that those who know the answer to both vipergts and 240_Z questions on the same thing can not bother posting up an answer and then one of them due to the lack of response to the question uses his initiative and tries to find out the answer himself else where on the internet and comes away with an American slant on the Z Production

If you're talking about my comment Sean then I am simply saying that any differences in metal composition or thickness may simply be a result of production process. It still happens today, tolerances might be smaller now but you can (and usually will) have two panels stamped consecutively that will have different thicknesses and therefore weight.

Nope, nothing to do with you mate.:thumbs:

Might be a better ploy to politely point out the error in believing that Z was primarily a USA market car

Seems a bit of a shame in some ways that those who know the answer to both vipergts and 240_Z questions on the same thing can not bother posting up an answer and then one of them due to the lack of response to the question uses his initiative and tries to find out the answer himself else where on the internet and comes away with an American slant on the Z Production

Cobblepots...if people won't use the search button on this forum then why should 'we' repeat things already out of the closet and available right here ?

Looks on the internet or in USA books....and only because it's in a language he will understand...gawd, I think I've been bitten, I'm beginning to sound like HIM now....:D !

Cobblepots...if people won't use the search button on this forum then why should 'we' repeat things already out of the closet and available right here ?

Looks on the internet or in USA books....and only because it's in a language he will understand...gawd, I think I've been bitten, I'm beginning to sound like HIM now....:D !

Oh dear one of the more older knowledgeable posters on here not willing to point out at the very minimum a link to where the answer might be found things to the newer Z owner/enthusiast

So nobody has ever pointed you in the correct direction to educate yourself early on in your time as a z owner

And we wonder why newer people only seem to make a couple of posts asking questions on here and then either leave here or just come and look and don't make any more posts

Oh dear one of the more older knowledgeable posters on here not willing to point out at the very minimum a link to where the answer might be found things to the newer Z owner/enthusiast

So nobody has ever pointed you in the correct direction to educate yourself early on in your time as a z owner

And we wonder why newer people only seem to make a couple of posts asking questions on here and then either leave here or just come and look and don't make any more posts

We also wonder why people don't pay up and join in order to learn more - back then when we weren't knowledgeable, that's what we did ;) and then people DID point us in the right direction.:thumbs:

We also wonder why people don't pay up and join in order to learn more - back then when we weren't knowledgeable, that's what we did ;) and then people DID point us in the right direction.:thumbs:

Well in my case a few old time Z club members helped me out with a lot of queries I had prior to me paying any subs and they offered that help without any mentioning "pay up before we help you" and because of their friendly helpful nature I decided to be a subscribed member
But Hey lets not drag the the thread of topic and try and let others answer the guys question

Not sure i am safe to get involved in this,........my brother and i both worked at a Datsun Garage garage in Hyde in the 70s. He was on the dealer council, and spent time in Japan. The reason he gave for the poor rust issues, was he was told very confidentially they used inferior recycled steel. I have no factual evidence to back this up, and he never saw any. I do remember the amount of 2-3 year old cars coming in with major rust problems mostly repaired foc paid for by Datsun Worthing. We used to sell Ziebart treatment to as many as we could persuade.

Well in my case a few old time Z club members helped me out with a lot of queries I had prior to me paying any subs and they offered that help without any mentioning "pay up before we help you" and because of their friendly helpful nature I decided to be a subscribed member
But Hey lets not drag the the thread of topic and try and let others answer the guys question

Different age and circumstances Steve : back then no suns = no mag/newsletter, no news of meetings - here it's all available free, all one has to do is hit the search button.:eek:

Is anyone has tried, done that and still has problems then I for one would quote info and links.:thumbs:

If one wants the info, make a small effort beforehand....pretty please - it avoids us repeating .;)

Different age and circumstances Steve : back then no suns = no mag/newsletter, no news of meetings - here it's all available free, all one has to do is hit the search button.:eek:

Search button must be broken cos I just hit it as advised in this post and nothing happened. No results came up.
What am I doing wrong please

Sorry Viper I am sure that the font of knowledge will be along to answer your question nicely in a while.

Back