diesel vs petrol sump

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yep - great engine although I couldn't live with the engine paint colour and that oil pan has seen some life - do they fit without mods then, perform better than petrol versions (bigger capacity) ?
yes, paint can be changed easy enough.
the diesel sump bolts straight up and clears the cross member fine. The wing seems to hold an extra litre.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
the diesel sump bolts straight up and clears the cross member fine. The wing seems to hold an extra litre.

Interesting, I'll take your word for the fitting as I have two here but no block to test. 'Seems to hold'....how many litres did you pour in then please ?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Interesting, I'll take your word for the fitting as I have two here but no block to test. 'Seems to hold'....how many litres did you pour in then please ?
There are 5.0L in the sump in the pic above.
Here's a standard sump with 4.0L
DSC_0210.JPG

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
What was your donor car (model and year) because not all diesel sumps are the same - some are front mounted (Laurels) and so won't fit with the Zs steering. Don't want to sending people off in the wrong direction.EXTRA:D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I don't think big sumps are the way to go for a lot of our cars. The main issue IMO is that with the increase in oil capacity you will have a decrease in oil temp. Oil needs to be hot to do it's job properly.

A better way to increase oil volume is with an oil cooler and thermostatic valve.

What you want is a system which warms the oil quickly. For most of us on the road a standard sump should be big enough.

Why does a diesel need a large sump - possibly because of the heat generated by the very high compression of a diesel engine? My Xtrail had an 8 ltr capacity!

My 370Z 4.9 ltr. Actually that was a bit small - I had an oil temp gauge and on rare occassions it did get too hot. Not because of fast driving but slow driving in traffic.

Large (baffled) sumps are ok for competition cars working under extreme conditions. In fact 'serious' competition cars have a 'dry sump' lubrication system with a separate oil tank. That enables the engine to be mounted lower and an oil capacity of your choosing.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yes, I suppose diesels generate more heat, also bigger vehicles.
My diesel engines came with oil/coolant heat exchangers which helps heat the oil when cold and cools the oil when hot.
I might fit it to my new LD engine.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Everything Rob said! Never underestimate the power of grey hairs! ;)

A part of me feels that you are going to waste money on oil you just don't need. Having said that, does the LD block have bigger oil galleries etc that could potentially require the additional volume? In which case, ignore Rob and I's thinking! :p

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Everything Rob said! Never underestimate the power of grey hairs! ;)

A part of me feels that you are going to waste money on oil you just don't need. Having said that, does the LD block have bigger oil galleries etc that could potentially require the additional volume? In which case, ignore Rob and I's thinking! :p

Ali, I wouldn't mind some grey hairs on top of my head.

Oil - it's not the cost (never thought about that but good point) it's the temp of the oil. I know our cars aren't used for commuting or shopping but short journeys with cold oil are not good. I suppose sump capacity is a compromise with most cars. A couple of litres would be ok for the 2 miles to the local shop but 5 litres for the motorway trip. Heat exchangers help but a thermostatic valve opening a second reservoir might be good. After all warm oil helps with mpg too. If my car can have the complexity of Stop-Start to aid mpg why not?

Actually a sump heater would be the answer in winter. Or a hybrid running on electricity first and powering a sump heater for when the ICE 'kicks in'.

Sorry Jon, gone off at a tangent.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Ali, I wouldn't mind some grey hairs on top of my head.

Oil - it's not the cost (never thought about that but good point) it's the temp of the oil. I know our cars aren't used for commuting or shopping but short journeys with cold oil are not good. I suppose sump capacity is a compromise with most cars. A couple of litres would be ok for the 2 miles to the local shop but 5 litres for the motorway trip. Heat exchangers help but a thermostatic valve opening a second reservoir might be good. After all warm oil helps with mpg too. If my car can have the complexity of Stop-Start to aid mpg why not?

Actually a sump heater would be the answer in winter. Or a hybrid running on electricity first and powering a sump heater for when the ICE 'kicks in'.

Sorry Jon, gone off at a tangent.
I'm glad I split this off from my engine ad!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Actually a sump heater would be the answer in winter.

Funny you should say that.....

My view - stock is for people that drive stock

You need to protect your engine because you drive hard ? Heat kills so :

fit a larger capacity sump
fit a higher volume pump
fit an oil cooler
fit an oil temp gauage
use the quality of oil suited to your engine and end use

You want to cool your engine, improve your coolant system.....all the above are to keep your engine lubrificant effective....not cool it !