Classic car tour Japan.. which car would you choose?!

Robotsan

Club Member
Going to Japan in October for 2 weeks, and unbelievably my girlfriend suggested we do this! https://fun2drive-japan.com/

We're going to do the Hakone 'spirited drive' wherein you follow their lead car around the foothills of the Fuji/Hakone area. Basically the Touge (I'd never heard of this until we researched this!) roads that some of the original Gran Turismo courses were based on, and where all the tuner guys race. I'm not into Anime or the whole JDM scene so this was all news to me.

But which car would you choose from those available?: https://fun2drive-japan.com/fleet/

I'm pretty sure I'm going for the NSX. I don't want to drive the RB Fairlady, which you might think is a strange thing for me to say.. but I don't want to find out how shit and slow my 280z is in comparison, and never end up with a car as good as this 😂 I was tempted by the GTR replica, but it'll probably have a poor engine in it right? Also very tempted by the Porsche, but then I just don't like the sound of the air cooled cars (probably sacrilege, but they just sound too much like a Beetle to me). Although I have never driven any Porsche let alone a classic, so it is tempting. None of the other cars really appeal to me.. and I just think the NSX is great balance of exotic *specialness*, comfort and speed.

Anyone here actually done this tour maybe?

Not done the tour, pretty sure I'd love it if I ever got the chance. I looked at the fleet before reading the rest of your post and the only car I would choose on there would be the NA1 NSX, it's a dream car for me and one I wish I got in to before the prices went mental. Maybe the R34, that would be fun, they're great cars, the R35 is ballistic but boring. The Porsche would be a laugh, they are great cars and drive one and you'll understand why Porsche fanboys are so fiercely loyal. The rest, I agree, wouldn't really take my fancy (S30 aside but for the same reasons you've given!). So I agree with your choice, go for the NSX.

Not done the tour, pretty sure I'd love it if I ever got the chance. I looked at the fleet before reading the rest of your post and the only car I would choose on there would be the NA1 NSX, it's a dream car for me and one I wish I got in to before the prices went mental. Maybe the R34, that would be fun, they're great cars, the R35 is ballistic but boring. The Porsche would be a laugh, they are great cars and drive one and you'll understand why Porsche fanboys are so fiercely loyal. The rest, I agree, wouldn't really take my fancy (S30 aside but for the same reasons you've given!). So I agree with your choice, go for the NSX.

Glad you agree on not driving the S30! I still think a lot of people are going to disagree with me on that though :)

Yeah I think its got to be the NSX hasn't it. Even though it's probably no faster than my M3, maybe even slower, it's going to be more of an experience. 964 is so tempting but I feel like it's got to be a JDM car!

Probably right about it being no faster than the M3 and probably slower but that's not the point. The current M3 makes my M3 feel proper slow but I know which one I'd rather drive!

I suppose the best way to justify not going for the S30 would be like having an E46 on there with a 1JZ in it running circa 500bhp, you just wouldn't because you know what the S54 is like and you would spend the whole time comparing it to yours and wondering what if. Then when you come home you'd be disappointed with your M3 :EXTRAlol:

Out of those (and im a Porsche fanboy) I would be taking the n NC1 NSX. They're absolutely fantastic cars to drive. Mega fun on track. Nothing else stands out to me on that list as track orientated.

Out of those (and im a Porsche fanboy) I would be taking the n NC1 NSX. They're absolutely fantastic cars to drive. Mega fun on track. Nothing else stands out to me on that list as track orientated.

Well we won't be on a track at any point, it's all mountain passes. But I imagine the NSX would be pretty good there too!

I would go for the NSX too, but only because I have the R34 (which is superb fun on the twisties).
The RB Fairlady may not be that bad a choice seeing as it is an N/A build.

I had booked these for my Honeymoon before COVID scuppered our holiday!

I had the S30 booked, because I wanted to experience driving it in Japan, and it resembled closely my previous Blue RB-swapped Datsun 240z.

My back-ups would be the NSX or S2000

I had booked these for my Honeymoon before COVID scuppered our holiday!

I had the S30 booked, because I wanted to experience driving it in Japan, and it resembled closely my previous Blue RB-swapped Datsun 240z.

My back-ups would be the NSX or S2000

Ahh that's gutting Jay, sorry to hear that. Hope you managed to have a better late than never honeymoon somewhere else? We had a 2 week California trip cancelled at the same time.

See that makes sense you booking the S30 as you already had an RB swapped one! I stand by my logic :)

Another +1 for the NSX though!

I'd go for the NSX too, personally. Even if it's an Auto. Wonderful cars.

One thing I'd caution against is any idea that you can hoon around at all on that route during daylight hours. A friend of mine who lives in Kanagawa told me that there's a strong police presence recently and that they are making a particular point of giving tickets to foreign drivers who misbehave. I drove the route a few years back and there were pairs of motorcycle-mounted Kanagawa Highway Patrol around a couple of corners. I was in a rented Honda hybrid box thing (awful..!) so just gave them a polite smile.

Its very touristy round there too, so you'll encounter family wagons who are minding their own business going to and from the picnic and sightseeing spots. Caution advised, but enjoy.

I'd go for the NSX too, personally. Even if it's an Auto. Wonderful cars.

One thing I'd caution against is any idea that you can hoon around at all on that route during daylight hours. A friend of mine who lives in Kanagawa told me that there's a strong police presence recently and that they are making a particular point of giving tickets to foreign drivers who misbehave. I drove the route a few years back and there were pairs of motorcycle-mounted Kanagawa Highway Patrol around a couple of corners. I was in a rented Honda hybrid box thing (awful..!) so just gave them a polite smile.

Its very touristy round there too, so you'll encounter family wagons who are minding their own business going to and from the picnic and sightseeing spots. Caution advised, but enjoy.

Thanks Alan, good advice that I shall heed!

I'm not much of a hooner anyway. And as we'll be following their lead car hopefully they'll spot any *issues* ahead and will tell us when to add "spirit" to our driving.

Going to Japan in October for 2 weeks, and unbelievably my girlfriend suggested we do this! https://fun2drive-japan.com/

We're going to do the Hakone 'spirited drive' wherein you follow their lead car around the foothills of the Fuji/Hakone area. Basically the Touge (I'd never heard of this until we researched this!) roads that some of the original Gran Turismo courses were based on, and where all the tuner guys race. I'm not into Anime or the whole JDM scene so this was all news to me.

But which car would you choose from those available?: https://fun2drive-japan.com/fleet/

I'm pretty sure I'm going for the NSX. I don't want to drive the RB Fairlady, which you might think is a strange thing for me to say.. but I don't want to find out how shit and slow my 280z is in comparison, and never end up with a car as good as this 😂 I was tempted by the GTR replica, but it'll probably have a poor engine in it right? Also very tempted by the Porsche, but then I just don't like the sound of the air cooled cars (probably sacrilege, but they just sound too much like a Beetle to me). Although I have never driven any Porsche let alone a classic, so it is tempting. None of the other cars really appeal to me.. and I just think the NSX is great balance of exotic *specialness*, comfort and speed.

Anyone here actually done this tour maybe?
AE86, BNR34 or the KPGC10 replica for me.

AE86, BNR34 or the KPGC10 replica for me.

Except that the 'KPGC10 replica' wouldn't give you any sense of what a real KPGC10 is like to drive.

Different engine, different transmission, different differential, different steering, different suspension... even different windows.

Why don't they just call it a 'modified KGC10' or 'GT-Kai'? It would be more realistic, at least.

I was lucky enough to drive a modified RX7 around some of the back roads near mount Fuji. The car was owned by a "exporter" and very well done but I was to scared to go to fast in case I pranged it.

yes driving a NSX is a good call, I might also go with BNR32 as well...

Hiring a normal car and doing it is also less of a risk

Back