Chrome Plating Plastic ?

ZedzDead

Club Member
Anybody had any experience of companies that chrome plate plastic such as tail lamp bezels ?

Initially thought they were mazak which would have been less of an issue.

status

Well-Known Forum User
I sent two pairs off to the states,wasn’t cheap,correct name for it is vacum plating not many people over hear do it but worth doing

ZedzDead

Club Member
Back in 2016 I nearly found a firm that was going to do this for the club as a bulk buy for rear tail light bezels, but it fell at the last hurdle.

https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/plastic-re-chroming.21837/

Might be worth trying the firm again, they were pretty helpful at the time....?

http://www.qppltd.co.uk/

Cheers,

JK

Phoned the company JK and they arent prepared to do it which is a big shame as only had one other response and that was in the region of £500.00 so not sure what to do now.

Paul_S

Club Member
I think I mentioned this in another thread a while ago, but how about speaking to someone who offers a hydro dipping service? I think they should be able to produce the same affect but I wouldn't know about the cost.

ZedzDead

Club Member
I think I mentioned this in another thread a while ago, but how about speaking to someone who offers a hydro dipping service? I think they should be able to produce the same affect but I wouldn't know about the cost.

May be worth considering Peter just not sure how long it'd last.

Mark N

Club Member

It should give a good result for plastic items like tail light bezels.
One of my mates had a few parts from his Cresta PA done with a chrome spray system a couple of years ago.
They initially looked pretty good but started to turn yellowish after a fairly short period.
That could have been down to the sun and heat of Cyprus though.
I wouldn't imagine the UK weather would present the same issue and there is also the possibility that there have been UV resistance product improvements in the last couple of years.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
You need to get the old chrome off to get a decent surface to work onto without damaging the plastic, that’s the major time consuming pain with refurbishing them. You could probably paint onto the old chrome but I’m not sure you’d get a good key and long term adhesion.

status

Well-Known Forum User
If you are going to have it done properly it’s going to cost £200 plus,all that spray stuff that’s been mentioned looks pants compared to the real thing,many have tried it and regretted it,if you’ve spent thousands getting your car up to scratch why do people bodge the light bezels up it really does ruin it,Places in the states do it,I’m looking about but no luck as of yet

ZedzDead

Club Member
If you are going to have it done properly it’s going to cost £200 plus,all that spray stuff that’s been mentioned looks pants compared to the real thing,many have tried it and regretted it,if you’ve spent thousands getting your car up to scratch why do people bodge the light bezels up it really does ruin it,Places in the states do it,I’m looking about but no luck as of yet

Got no problem handing over £200.00 + to get it done properly Status, how do you feel about £500.00 + vat + shipping or £400.00 + ready stripped & prepped ?
Know what you mean bout bodging My Mum would say don't spoil the ship for a hap'orth of tar ! :)

status

Well-Known Forum User
It’s finding somewhere that does vacuum plating which is the correct process,I had two sets done years ago,I sold one set to Grolls but I’ve got a set that I’d get done if I found somewhere