Plastic Re-chroming

JK240

Club Member
I've looked for a long time at having my plastic rear tail light surrounds re-chromed somehow and I know its been discussed on here several times in the past with no outcome.

Anyway, I spoke to a conventional re-chromer at the NEC over the weekend who gave me the name of a company who do this sort of this thing, I emailed them to see if it was something that could be done for individuals like myself and it turns out they can.

http://www.qppltd.co.uk/

The downside is the set up cost is £150 + VAT, so as I'm not VAT registered that's £180 for a pair of lamp surrounds, which is a bit steep, however it's the same cost even if there are ten pairs of surrounds, I have to let them know the size tomorrow so they can work out how many fit on the fixture to go through their plant and they will let me know how many I can get for the £150 fee.

So potentially this could work out as a cost effective way of getting a batch done as a club offer and I'd just like to know if there is anyone else who's interested in having this done.

Cheers,

JK

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Might be worth speaking to a hydro dipper.
I was speaking to one early this year about getting chrome trims that where to bad to chrome done
He said he was currently looking it to it as they where doing it in the USA

status

Well-Known Forum User
I think the correct name is vacuum plating,I had 2 sets done in the states for my 260,not cheap,there are some on the net,new at the moment which are a lot cheaper,can't find the link,sorry

JK240

Club Member
No, its a different process to vacuum metalising, this is from their website;

The procedure for “Plating on Plastic” consists of a highly complex chemical & electro-chemical process, during which the components go though total immersion in numerous tanks of solution. This includes etching the surface of the mouldings, at a molecular level, to chemically deposit a conductive coating, prior to building up a layer of Copper and Nickel before the final decorative finish.

If there turns out to be no interest then I'll still probably end up getting them done as I've a spare set that I could have done too and sell on to recoup some of the cost, just thought it might be a 'clubby' thing to do :unsure:

status

Well-Known Forum User
Probably more than one process nowadays ,I had two sets done in the states ,both good finishes but one set seemed a lot heavier than the other,might have been the process you mention

status

Well-Known Forum User
I have a set that you can add to the order,sold my spare set to grolls,they are 260 ones though and may cost more due to the area covered compared to the 240 ones,keep informed please

johnymd

Club Member
Are we talking about the large chrome looking trim found on 260z's? If so then I would be interested too.

JK240

Club Member
Thanks for the replies and the interest so far, and yes I am talking about the 260Z rear light surrounds like the ones in the image attached.

I intend to talk to the platers again today with the sizes so that we can establish how many pairs can fit through their plant in one go and that way we can get a better idea of how much it will cost per pair, but I think this looks like it's something that could prove viable for a few of us :thumbs:

Attachments

• IMG_1463.JPG
    IMG_1463.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the replies and the interest so far, and yes I am talking about the 260Z rear light surrounds like the ones in the image attached.

I intend to talk to the platers again today with the sizes so that we can establish how many pairs can fit through their plant in one go and that way we can get a better idea of how much it will cost per pair, but I think this looks like it's something that could prove viable for a few of us :thumbs:

Jonathan,
Do you know if this company would be able to apply chrome type finish to FRP bumpers ? Could you ask the question when you next speak to them ?
Thanks ;)

JK240

Club Member
Jonathan,
Do you know if this company would be able to apply chrome type finish to FRP bumpers ? Could you ask the question when you next speak to them ?
Thanks ;)

Hi Chris, I'm pretty sure they would and will ask.

What I would say is that when we spoke yesterday they made it clear that the parts all have to be of a similar size when going through the plant on whatever their apparatus is, so I suspect that you would get fewer bumpers in one go than light surrounds, again I will have a better idea once I know how many light surrounds we can get done for the set up fee.

Cheers,

JK

Ian

Club Member
I have had two sets of trims done, one was done with qpp. The finish was not as new, it seems they can only make them as new if they are in good condition (as in surface condtion, not gloss level of the chrome) to start with. Just keep this in mind if you are sending them any.

Ian

Club Member
Ian, have you a picture of yours finished, so we can see how they turned out thanks.
Theres a photo on my build page, I'll post it up here a bit later. Its still a huge improvement over what I started with.

Ian

Club Member
Only got the one photo but you can't see the flaws in them as its too far back.

DSCF9420.jpg

If I remember correctly I'm currently using one of the ones above and one of the ones done by another company,