Chasing Classic Cars

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I like that programme but Wayne slipped-up on an episode I watched today. He bought 3 two-stroke Saabs which were lovely. However he doesn't really understand two-strokes. He said the engine was cammy and the revs were amazing. Those Saabs produced max power at 5k, my Sunbeam Stiletto produced its max at 6.1k. No camshafts in a two-stroke! 5k would sound like 10k so that's what's confusing him.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Met him a few years ago at the Monterey Pebble Beach Concourse and Little car show, nice enough chap i guess.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I forget what my old GT Suzukis spun at back in the day for max power but the GT125 I had when I was 17 was doing 8k at 60mph.

I love big capacity two-stroke bikes but couldn’t afford a KH500 when I passed my test. To have a GT750 now would be unrealistic but then ...

Bazzateer

Club Member
Best 2 stroke is surely the 3.25 litre, 3 cylinder, opposing piston (that's 6 in total), supercharged Commer TS3?

Turn & Burn

Club Member
I like that programme but Wayne slipped-up on an episode I watched today. He bought 3 two-stroke Saabs which were lovely. However he doesn't really understand two-strokes. He said the engine was cammy and the revs were amazing. Those Saabs produced max power at 5k, my Sunbeam Stiletto produced its max at 6.1k. No camshafts in a two-stroke! 5k would sound like 10k so that's what's confusing him.
‘Cammy’ is certainly the wrong phrase, but the effect is the same, when 2 strokes come on pipe the performance change is mental.
I’ve not done much with bigger 2strokes, I used to race 250cc enduro and they were just addictive, the power band feeling just encourages you to wring its neck at every opportunity. I went 4stroke 400cc/450cc after that and that had that power everywhere straight off tickover, more tiring to ride.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yeh I know what you mean. My lad had a YZ125 and then went 450 Honda. Totally different to ride.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is it me or do people put too much oil in 2 strokes these days? They seem to smoke far more than I remember.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Is it me or do people put too much oil in 2 strokes these days? They seem to smoke far more than I remember.
Supposed to be about 80:1 on modern oil, when I was on my trials bikes in the 80’s we were at 25:1. You can get 2tt oil from Ipone that smells of Strawberries. But Castrol R, that’s where it’s at! Takes me back to the 1970s Speedway at Bellevue in Manchester in the when I was a kid.

‘Cammy’ is certainly the wrong phrase, but the effect is the same, when 2 strokes come on pipe the performance change is mental.
I’ve not done much with bigger 2strokes, I used to race 250cc enduro and they were just addictive, the power band feeling just encourages you to wring its neck at every opportunity. I went 4stroke 400cc/450cc after that and that had that power everywhere straight off tickover, more tiring to ride.

you missed out, I tried racing a cr500.

Just starting it would keep you fit!