Bet this has been brought up before

ozting

Well-Known Forum User
:rofl:
I am having my 240z v8 worked on and one of the additions I would like to see happen is PAS. Now I imagine some of you have done this before or know of someone who has. Is there any tried and tested parts to use, Doner vehicles to look for etc.
Engine & box are being removed so its a perfect time to do it.
Anyone?:unsure:

datsun dave

Club Member
:rofl:
I am having my 240z v8 worked on and one of the additions I would like to see happen is PAS. Now I imagine some of you have done this before or know of someone who has. Is there any tried and tested parts to use, Doner vehicles to look for etc.
Engine & box are being removed so its a perfect time to do it.
Anyone?:unsure:

I bought my PAS bespoke S30 kit from Dave Jarman and it fits like a glove.

Just PM you Dave number.

us2

Well-Known Forum User
Another option is a Subaru rack conversion, which I did myself about four years ago.
A little cutting and welding of the crossmember may be needed,or not,
I'm still running the L24, and fitted a Hyundai Lantra pump and mounting bracket where the L24 fuel pump used to be.. :thumbs: This is a worthwhile mod in my opinion, and is a great improvement.
This has been gone into in depth on HybridZ. Do a search for power steering, on there.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Been driving with PAS for nearly 5 years now - Dave - did you have the complete rack kit or the 'bolt-on' electric ? I love it !

We've also fitted the 'bolt-on' electric version to a 260Z 2+2 last year which is lovely, not quite as precise in my view as mine and we're going to be fitting one to a 240Z next month.

Of course, it will reduce your cars' value, not being original and PAS is a poofs' choice..............

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Of course, it will reduce your cars' value, not being original and PAS is a poofs' choice..............

You are such a 'shit stirer' :devil:

PAS would make a 240 a much easier car to drive around at slow speeds Sean I guess that's why you like it. :rofl:

Seriously I should imagine it's a good upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You are such a 'shit stirer' :devil:

PAS would make a 240 a much easier car to drive around at slow speeds Sean you I guess that's why you like it. :rofl:

Seriously I should imagine it's a good upgrade.

Two 'r's in stirrer Mr Gaskin.....like 'Grrh' ;) !

Not just at low speeds (noted - and get you back later) but track speeds and fast roundabouts.

Try mine next when we see each other and then decide.:thumbs:

rahail240

Well-Known Forum User
the main put off for me is the actual non o.e look the electric kit gives with donor column etc.
a nice stealth option would be nice so you can retain o.e steering wheel etc.

datsun dave

Club Member
the main put off for me is the actual non o.e look the electric kit gives with donor column etc.

Dave Jarmans kit uses the original top part of the column so it still bolts up under the dash/pedal box all the electric part is hidden away out of view and you still can use the original oe steering wheel.

rahail240

Well-Known Forum User
Dave Jarmans kit uses the original top part of the column so it still bolts up under the dash/pedal box all the electric part is hidden away out of view and you still can use the original oe steering wheel.

ahhhh, that's brilliant.
might be giving mr 'j' a call. ;)

johnymd

Club Member
Would this affect the value much? I am a bit concerned about not modding too much. If I find the parts off a Toyota would that be more in keeping with the soul of the car?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User

Wondered where you were going with that one..........obviously one can use the OEM steering wheel !:confused:

Picture of 260Z set-up !

Dave - not like mine then - can you turn yours up and down with a rheostat ?

Attachments

• Begin June 018.jpg
    Begin June 018.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 33

datsun dave

Club Member
Wondered where you were going with that one..........obviously one can use the OEM steering wheel !:confused:

Picture of 260Z set-up !

Dave - not like mine then - can you turn yours up and down with a rheostat ?

Yes mine can be turned up or down from 100% to 0 PAS it also has a speed sensor fitted in the front wheel hub so the PAS ECU knows what speed the car is traveling at.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Yes mine can be turned up or down from 100% to 0 PAS it also has a speed sensor fitted in the front wheel hub so the PAS ECU knows what speed the car is traveling at.

Mine is speed progressive which acts effectively as a rheostat, cannot be turned up or down but does have an on/off switch - saves the pump and allows me to 'enjoy' wet tracks without too much drama.

Dale

Club Member
I've got to say it's a mod I'll not be doing. In my opinion it's only parking it would be beneficial for, and I can manage that fine :p.

For me it takes away the 'driving' experience of my classic and iconic 70's sports car ;):D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I've got to say it's a mod I'll not be doing. In my opinion it's only parking it would be beneficial for, and I can manage that fine :p.

For me it takes away the 'driving' experience of my classic and iconic 70's sports car ;):D

Another one with a wild statement who's not tried it !:(

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
Not mocking for sure.
I have a v.fast gt4 with pas and its as good a feedback as I have driven for a car that age.
But I also have a v.fast kart which after an hour my arms are hanging off but the direct thrill of the feeling of the lumps and bumps shooting through your arms is second to none.
The first time I drove my Z I felt the same.
Yes full of possible criticism but like I've said before when a new person gets in an old Z they feel like it is a track/race car coz' they drive pas all the time.
The 240/260 is full of faults but fix them all and it's a different car.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
You don't get it do you guys !

With a system that one can switch off - it's hairy-chested old-time sportscar driving when you want, and smooth, precise assisted when you want !

When mine is switched off - the steering is a per a standard 240Z...except that I don't have any steering wobble and bump-steer but is that down to new parts throughout ?

Best of both worlds - agreed Dave ?