Another Zed to scratch that itch

Col-b

Club Member
So ive sold the Toyota Celica and the Porsche but needed another Zed I have now taken delivery of a very clean shell, one USA owner fron new 280Z to work on.
I have attached a few pictures including the 1977 highway flares that were in the tool box ! Just a couple of questions if any one can give advice with.

1 I noticed the floor heat sensor in the boot that i have circled in red after doing some reaserch i found out that Calaforina cars had them because of emmissions and the cat in the rear box got hot and caused the sensor to light up on the dash. I did notice driving the car only say 2 miles the back box was kicking out a lot of heat. If i remove the exhaust and fit it with a new one without the cat will this be ok and do i need to change any thing ?

2 The EFI has been removed by the previous owner and round top carbs added although it starts on the button the coil pack looks like it has seen better days can this be replaced just as the coil or would i need the whole pack ? and does there look like any thing out of place or missing on the engine ?

no doubt i will be posting a few more questions as i go on thanks in advance

Col

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 48
  • PHOTO-2024-03-20-14-00-25 (1).jpg
    PHOTO-2024-03-20-14-00-25 (1).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 56

Robotsan

Club Member
Hi Col,

Looks like a decent car, very similar condition to mine.

Re: the exhaust / floor temp - should be fine to fit any new exhaust. I presumed the floor only got hot because of the old cat? So with that gone, it should be cooler. Someone else might know more though.

Re: the ignition coil - Rockauto do them so you should be able to just swap that over: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1977,280z,2.8l+l6,1209248,ignition,ignition+coil,7060

What suspension does the car have? Looks lowered a little, and its got what looks like adjustable shocks, but made by BC? I presume they're not coilovers as the shock towers are not cut?

George

Col-b

Club Member
Hi Col,

Looks like a decent car, very similar condition to mine.

Re: the exhaust / floor temp - should be fine to fit any new exhaust. I presumed the floor only got hot because of the old cat? So with that gone, it should be cooler. Someone else might know more though.

Re: the ignition coil - Rockauto do them so you should be able to just swap that over: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1977,280z,2.8l+l6,1209248,ignition,ignition+coil,7060

What suspension does the car have? Looks lowered a little, and its got what looks like adjustable shocks, but made by BC? I presume they're not coilovers as the shock towers are not cut?

George
Hi George thanks for that yes it has BC coilovers

SacCyclone

Club Member
The CAT may be getting hot because the car is running richer with those SU's rather than the EFI.

I'm in Cali and we have to run the CAT on our cars here but if your not required, I would remove the car for sure.

Mike

toopy

Club Member
Camber adjustment plates are usually an optional fitment with coilovers, bit over kill i guess for average road use so most wouldn't go to the time and expense of fitting them as well. Unless you mean adjustable top mounts integral with the top of the coilover rather than welded in.

Robotsan

Club Member
Camber adjustment plates are usually an optional fitment with coilovers, bit over kill i guess for average road use so most wouldn't go to the time and expense of fitting them as well. Unless you mean adjustable top mounts integral with the top of the coilover rather than welded in.

Ah I see. I guess I do mean the latter - like this. So would they just be hidden on Col's car?

1713022632549.png

toopy

Club Member
I don't think you can hide them as such on an S30, they're either fitted or they're not, unless some sort of cover is available which I've never seen fitted on a car.

Makesy

Club Member
Yeah exactly. I just didn't realise it was possible. And I'm interested cos I would rather not cut the tops of the strut towers if I don't have to? I just didn't think it was possible.

My 2nd project currently has bc's installed but the towers have not been cut at the top, looking nearly identical to Yellowz's 2nd picture - mainly because I haven't gotten round to it yet. I can't see any mechanical reason why it wouldn't run ok like that, save for adjusting the camber being a bit of a chew.

Robotsan

Club Member
My 2nd project currently has bc's installed but the towers have not been cut at the top, looking nearly identical to Yellowz's 2nd picture - mainly because I haven't gotten round to it yet. I can't see any mechanical reason why it wouldn't run ok like that, save for adjusting the camber being a bit of a chew.

Right, ok I see. So theoretically, the camber could be set once and then left alone? Obviously there's a good chance it would need to be driven/tested and then readjusted though I guess.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Right, ok I see. So theoretically, the camber could be set once and then left alone? Obviously there's a good chance it would need to be driven/tested and then readjusted though I guess.
So the camber can be adjusted at the top of the hat as in the safari gold pic above or you can adjust it at the lower control arm with a pair of T3 type adjustable lower control arms. My orange track car has the T3's so I didn't have to cut the top of the strut tower.

IMG_8591.JPGIMG_8583.JPG

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I don't think you can hide them as such on an S30, they're either fitted or they're not, unless some sort of cover is available which I've never seen fitted on a car.
Photo top left ;-) Works rally Z

Attachments

• 164275_520570561314864_713208435_n.jpg
    164275_520570561314864_713208435_n.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 29