A big box from Osaka arrives...

richiep

Club Member
I was going to save this one up as a surprise until it was on the car but I'm too excited right now. :D

At the weekend, I took the plunge with something I've been after for a long time. Something suitably befitting my car, as a JDM S30 Fairlady Z.

This afternoon (perfect timing, given I'm working from home) a very large box arrived from Japan:

Zresized1.jpg

Any ideas what it might be??? ;)

A bit of a giveaway:
Zresized3.jpg

Exhaust bling:
Zresized4.jpg

A stainless steel Fujitsubo Super EX manifold:
Zresized5.jpg

Zresized6.jpg

But that's not all:
Zresized7.jpg

It came with a matching Fujitsubo Legalis R twin exhaust system, also full stainless:
Zresized11.jpg

Zresized10.jpg

Zresized9.jpg

Zresized8.jpg

Zresized12.jpg

The quality of this stuff is fantastic IMO. Typically Japanese. :thumbs:

As much as I want to devote my weekend to swapping this onto the car, I am going to hold off. I will be getting the manifold ceramic coated ASAP by Camcoat in Warrington, who've done two previous manifolds for me - it will still look the same as it does now, given it will feature the polished Cermakrome finish, but will offer superior heat dissipation (and it won't discolour like stainless will). That usually takes about 2 weeks turnaround time. Hopefully, all will be sorted by the time of the new Oulton Park show next month.

This is what I have really always wanted for my car since I rebuilt it and re-emphasized its JDM origins. Could I have opted for a cheaper, but also high-quality solution? Most definitely. This was not cheap, to say the least (partially due to the £360 shipping bill and especially the appalling Yen-Pound rate - and I've not yet had the eye-watering customs bill). However, it was an emotive as well as a practical/performance decision. It will definitely improve on the MSA 6-1 manifold and mild steel system I have on the car now, while looking utterly bitching. :bow: I also love how these systems sound too. And it is in total keeping with the nature of my car.

I am very, very happy right now and can't wait to get this on the car. :driving:

3 total! However, I will be liquidating the others now, i.e. a Motorsport Auto 6-1 manifold, Cermakrome coated by Camcoat (used for 4 years but still excellent cond. thanks to the coating) and a mint, unused Nissan Motorsports USA manifold, originally factory chromed but Cermakrome ceramic coated too. One is potentially spoken for. Watch the classifieds shortly. ;)

Looks nice Rich, is that a dead body in front of it?

Of course looks are only part of the story, if it performs as well as it looks :thumbs:

It would be interesting to know the Decibel rating when it's fitted?

Give yourself plenty of time to fit it nicely too.

Looks a very nice piece of kit :thumbs:
Was it expensive :D

Did I not emphasize that enough above? :rofl:

I figured I deserved the treat - I've spent very little at all on the Z for 2+ years, but I now have the bug to make a few developmental changes this year into next. Nothing radical, but things to give me a few small projects and hopefully liberate a few more HP!

Airbox comes next after the exhaust is dealt with...

Looks nice Rich, is that a dead body in front of it?

Of course looks are only part of the story, if it performs as well as it looks :thumbs:

It would be interesting to know the Decibel rating when it's fitted?

Give yourself plenty of time to fit it nicely too.

The Fujitsubo systems have a good reputation generally, so hopefully fit and performance will match the looks. Decibel-wise, the marketing blurb suggests that it is quite quiet on idle, with only a 3db hike over normal. We'll have to see what that is like when its on the car though. It'll probably be quieter than the MSA system I have now (a turbo back-box and no centre box).

Looks like a work of art. I'd leave it stainless as I love the discolouration look of a well thrashed car :) but that's just my opinion. Out of curiosity, I notice they don't attempt to use equal length primaries and wonder why? It's a real shame that something this nice has to be hidden under the car.

So...is it fitted yet? I have been wanting to hear the sound of a Kaemeari header connected to a Fujitsubo for the longest time! :thumbs:

Not fitted yet. The manifold (which is also a Fujitsubo, not a Kameari) is still at Camcoat having its ceramic finish applied. It should be ready later this week. We'll be fitting it either next weekend or early the following week, ready for the show at Oulton Park on the 14th-15th. I'll see about doing a vid so you can hear it.

I had the pleasure of looking at this system last week the build and quality is just fantastic no wonder Richard a happy man.

Sorry Rich, my mistake on the header, I've got a LHD car so I'm fairly sure the Fujitsubo SuperX won't fit past the steering rack,so for me its a case of tracking down which fancy-pants header will to run on the L28.

Some gorgeous ones here - ysgarage if only Stahl still made them!

Can't wait to hear yours run!

Sorry Rich, my mistake on the header, I've got a LHD car so I'm fairly sure the Fujitsubo SuperX won't fit past the steering rack,so for me its a case of tracking down which fancy-pants header will to run on the L28.

Some gorgeous ones here - ysgarage if only Stahl still made them!

Can't wait to hear yours run!

Give Sean a shout.

I've just collected the manifold from Camcoat over lunch. Tomorrow is fitting day! Will take some photos and see what I can do video-wise to demo the sound.

Back