280zx 2+2 restoration (Matchbox) | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

280zx 2+2 restoration (Matchbox)

Discussion in 'General discussion' started by Ped, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Ped

Ped
    Z Club Member

Won this 1982 280zx 2+2 ‘model’ on eBay after a successful 300 pence bid!

As usual when it turned up on the Royal Mail delivery truck, I realised it would take literally 2 or 3 evenings to get it fully restored. Why is it that there is always more work involved than in the pictures? Fortunately the engine won’t be a problem - there isn’t one in this Macau built variant.

I intend to create a replica of the other blue silver 280zx I currently own.

The build starts in earnest! TV car shows, eat your heart out!

1. Assessing the bodywork prior to full strip down…

[​IMG]

2. Full body-off restoration starts in earnest…

[​IMG]

3. Targa top deleted and later style bonnet vent reworked, literally minutes and minutes of flatting back!

I always preferred the earlier 280zx…

[​IMG]

4. The car hits the paint booth for primer, beige interior is being re-trimmed in grey/blue…

[​IMG]

5. Meanwhile; exterior paint acquired, running gear refurbished and correct iron-cross alloys sourced…

[​IMG]

And all without the need for some git to put on a funny hat, watch the clock and say "lets get it done" over and over again.

Tune in next time for some made up drama about the wrong parts being delivered...

jonbills, TimW, toopy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Paul_S

Paul_S
    Z Club Member

Love it!

When you're done will it be a display cabinet queen or will it be used as Matchbox intended?

TimW and Ped like this.
  3. Ped

Ped
    Z Club Member

I wont let anyone else drive it that's for sure... EXTRA:D

Paul_S likes this.
  4. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Do you do customer jobs mate ?

5. TimW

TimW 1978 UK RHD 260z

Paul_S likes this.
  6. Ped

Ped
    Z Club Member

7. Ped

Ped
    Z Club Member

What did you have in mind... some crazy Hot Wheels paint job? :EXTRAcool:

8. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

That's the aura I'm putting out is it ?:ack:

9. Ped

Ped
    Z Club Member

Ah, you mean a full nut and bolt restoration, with a bear metal respray, I see...

10. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

No, more bullish than bear-ish.....gotta make a statement with a sportscar....not blue in anycase.:p
    :EXTRArolleyes:

11. Ped

Ped
    Z Club Member

Bare metal... :EXTRAlol:

12. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Oh, as bear as that then ?

13. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator
    Staff Member Committee Member

14. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

Ease off on the juice Jon....

15. Ped

Ped
    Z Club Member

6. Black stone chip applied to the underside - fully seam sealed first of course.

[​IMG]

7. Bodywork now been flatted back and masked up. Not sure about that door shut gap though… new blue carpets on order.

[​IMG]

8. Metallic 2 pack now sprayed, silver will be shot once it has been baked. OK - so the paint is not perfect. The guy in the paint shop managed to squeeze it in in his lunch break. At the end of the day it will be a daily driver, so I only wanted to spend hundreds (of pennies) on it not thousands. Once the trim and glass has been refitted it should look presentable. EXTRA:D

[​IMG]

toopy and Paul_S like this.
  16. SeanDezart

SeanDezart
    Z Club Member
    Official Trader

The overspray on the interior trim is a bit disconcerting..........

17. niroshann

niroshann
    Z Club Member

I like your work! I’ve always been keen to match the ones on my key tags with the paint on the actual cars the keys belong to! Great work as usual Ped!!

Attached Files:

18. Ped

Ped
    Z Club Member

Like the idea of using these as keyrings. Not sure the paint would last 5 minutes though.

19. Ped

Ped
    Z Club Member

9. Body masked off ready for silver.

[​IMG]

10. Silver now sprayed. It will need to have a gloss coat applied as the colour I wanted was only available in matt, so it looks like flat aluminium at the moment.

[​IMG]

Still no carpets. The supplier is making up excuses, something about not being able to get the right size? Can’t see what is so difficult?

SeanDezart likes this.
  20. Mr Tenno

Mr Tenno
    ZClub Administrator
    Staff Member Committee Member

Love it! There's a couple of guys on Youtube who restore vintage Hotwheels and it looks like you're doing a solid job :thumbs:

Ped likes this.