240ZG for sale

None But hope Albrecht sees this and he will enlighten us on it as I am sure he would know if this was genuine and probably if it is may know all about it

240ZG for sale:thumbs: - anyone know of this particular car? How many sold in UK?
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C60622?pt=pf

No Fairlady ZGs were sold in the UK. It was JDM only.
Speedo in KMs might give a clue here????:p

This particular car is certainly NOT original ZG spec.
There are no ZG arches.
There are no JDM wing mirrors.
Pictures are so dreadful its not possible to detect any anything else.
Its Probalby some sort of Fairlady JDM model with its Km speedo and Fairlay wing badges but beyond that its difficult to know.
Amercan Racing four spoke alloys were not in the original JDM spec either:rolleyes:

No doubt Albrecht will pop in to give us the full info;)

Im not really that bothered, but for the record .... I think its a "replica":D

I'm not really that bothered, but for the record .... I think its a "replica":D

Pretty sure you're right there. The colours don't match so the nose was obviously painted / added at a later stage. If the photos were during the day then that might not of been so easily spotted but then you'd probably be able to make out more of the horrors that the cover of darkness was hiding.

No Fairlady ZGs were sold in the UK. It was JDM only.
Speedo in KMs might give a clue here????:p

This particular car is certainly NOT original ZG spec.
There are no ZG arches.
There are no JDM wing mirrors.
Pictures are so dreadful its not possible to detect any anything else.
Its Probalby some sort of Fairlady JDM model with its Km speedo and Fairlay wing badges but beyond that its difficult to know.
Amercan Racing four spoke alloys were not in the original JDM spec either:rolleyes:

No doubt Albrecht will pop in to give us the full info;)

Im not really that bothered, but for the record .... I think its a "replica":D

Yes aware that no Fairlady's (regardless of spec)were ever sold in UK .But are you saying no ZGs at all were sold In UK - or that at least 240 was ?:)

Well spotted Mike. The 2nd shot is actually better for spotting the front one. I've lightened them up a little so you can see (a tiny bit better).

zg1.png

zg2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks restorable to me from the pictures ZG wing mirrors and wheels could have been replaced/robbed off the car.

But i have been wrong before.

Why take pictures at night time to sell a car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

as with most cars on ebay you really need to have to see it in the flesh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It IS actually a real ( factory built ) 1972 'HS30-H' model Fairlady 240ZG. It was originally imported by a USAF serviceman transferring from a Japan posting to a UK posting. It has been in the UK for a long time, but stored unseen in a garage for many years.

Front upper panel on the G nose is a fabricated replacement ( to repair light crash damage I'd say ) and does not really fit very well. The paint on that has faded in storage too, so that's why it looks such a different colour. Lower front G nose panel is genuine factory item, but has been cut on the wheelarch corners for tyre clearance ( very common on ZGs ). Front bumper is the correct factory urethane item, but light crash damaged and mis-shapen. The headlamp housings are genuine factory ZG items, but evidence of fibreglass repair is evident - which is probably connected to that light front crash damage.

Original 'fender' mirrors have been removed at some time in the past, and the non-standard American Racing wheels have been on the car a long time - in place of the standard steels and hubcaps. A large rear spoiler has been added.

Body is a little bit decrepit; It needs new floors and at least one front chassis leg replacing, along with both front wings. Bottoms of the doors are bubbling and breaking out, however the basic structure appears sound. Engine is the original L24, and has been 'rebuilt' some time in the distant past. Only external modification over standard appears to be the red painted engine block and a six branch exhaust manifold.

The car is now sold........... ;)

Well it may be a good find but the seller is not trying too hard is he. Crap pictures and not answering emails.

I would have thought that if the owner was able/inclined to buy a ZG all those years ago it would have been cherished and not put up for sale like some tart on a street corner at night.

As a matter of interest did a ZG really need wheel arch flares or was it just an homologation item for racing cars.

Well it may be a good find but the seller is not trying too hard is he. Crap pictures and not answering emails.

I would have thought that if the owner was able/inclined to buy a ZG all those years ago it would have been cherished and not put up for sale like some tart on a street corner at night.

As a matter of interest did a ZG really need wheel arch flares or was it just an homologation item for racing cars.

Rob,
I don't think it is fair to judge the seller based on this 'net based advertisement. I can tell you that he has been 100% honest, did not misrepresent the car in any way and has a very genuine reason for sale. He admits to being very UNsavvy when it comes to computers and e-mails. In fact if you knew the full circumstances surrounding this story you would certainly not be thinking so negatively of him, believe me.

The seller is not the person that imported the car originally. That was a USAF serviceman, who were allowed to bring their own personal transport shipped gratis from one posting to another. During this period it was common for a USAF pilot's tours of duty to involve postings in both Japan and the UK, and with both territories being RHD it made sense to buy a car in Japan, drive it around while stationed there, and then take it on to the UK when posted. Some of these USAF pilots even did 'exchange' postings with RAF pilots. My 1970 Fairlady Z-L was imported as one of these ( USAF ) 'G.I. Brides' too, and I suspect that there were - and still are - a few other Japanese market cars that made it into the UK in this way ( I'm thinking of RichieP's car too perhaps? ). There are a fair few in the USA too. This particular car appears to have had two UK owners after the original importer, and has kept a very low profile.

You asked about the 240ZG wheelarch extensions ( 'Overfenders' in the Japanese vernacular ); These were indeed added simply to homologate them for race use ( as was the rest of the 240ZG 'aerodyna' kit ) and were not actually functional on the road cars. The factory road cars were originally sold with normal 6j x 14 TOPY steel wheels and the 'dustbin lid' hubcaps, and the rear arches were not even cut away for clearance. This was a classic 'homologation special' tactic, and it allowed the factory to legally use even more extreme arches on their Group 4 and Group 5 race cars. However, the 'ZG' overfenders were not the first overfenders for the S30-series Z: This honour went to the Nissan 'Sports Option' overfenders for the Fairlady Z432-R, which were homologated and in use by early 1970, and were actually slightly wider and fuller than the 'ZG' overfenders. Many people don't realise the difference.

SteveB: The answer is yes ;)

To be fair he did leave his mobile number in the listing, which is a much better way to contact someone if you are serious in buying something.

Also, he says he has owned the car for 27 years, which may mean he is of a generation that is not that keen on the net.

Points taken, but why state email was the preferred contact method?

Anyway the car has been saved and hopefully will be returned to it's former glory.

Interesting thread.

Rob,
The seller is not the person that imported the car originally. That was a USAF serviceman, who were allowed to bring their own personal transport shipped gratis from one posting to another. During this period it was common for a USAF pilot's tours of duty to involve postings in both Japan and the UK, and with both territories being RHD it made sense to buy a car in Japan, drive it around while stationed there, and then take it on to the UK when posted. Some of these USAF pilots even did 'exchange' postings with RAF pilots. My 1970 Fairlady Z-L was imported as one of these ( USAF ) 'G.I. Brides' too, and I suspect that there were - and still are - a few other Japanese market cars that made it into the UK in this way ( I'm thinking of RichieP's car too perhaps? ). There are a fair few in the USA too. This particular car appears to have had two UK owners after the original importer, and has kept a very low profile.

So I assume this is the same white ZG we discussed back in January 2007 ?

So I assume this is the same white ZG we discussed back in January 2007 ?

I have certainly not discussed this particular car with you, as far as I am aware?

I remember us having a short exchange of communication about a possible "ZG" in the past, and I believed that you were referring to a car that I know was not a genuine factory ZG ( and wasn't even close )........... But you didn't have any pics or a description of it, did you?

Do you mean you were talking about this one, then? I'd certainly be interested to hear more now - if you know anything?

Back