240Z springs / spring rate / hight

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Ive been doing a fair bit of reading on this board and now to the questions.

Yesterday i changed out my good old US suspension to Tokico shock inserts and Eibach pro lowering springs, it sure made some changes to the suspension, it have stiffend up the ride so much that the car feels harsh, the ride hight is fine, i could wish it was 1 - 2 cm lower at the front but thats all, i assume this can be due to the shocks pushing the car up.

The car also have 20 mill rear ARB and 25 mill front (considering 22 due to under stear)

Do anyone here have the spring rates for:
1, US spec springs
2, European spec springs
3, Eibach pro kit.

I'm thinking that for my kind og driving (town) i would be better of with the stock European springs, anyone here having a spare set they like to part with, so i can try it out?

The rest is stock except of urethane control arm bushings, i swapped those yesterday being the rubber was worn out.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is the car only used on the road, if so then I think 170/180lb would be the maximum to go for, perhaps try 150lb first.

I THINK standard cars especially US car are softer than that (120lb ???).

I use 250lb all round but my car spends 90% of it's time on a race track.

By the way your dampers shouldn't push the car up they are there to control the action of the spring, that is to stop the car 'bouncing'.

Also having a bigger front anti-roll bar might INCREASE understeer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil240z

Club Member
I've used series one US front struts which had spring mounts 25mm lower on the strut, that made the ride hight nice for me.

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Rob, i might have explained this wrong, i meant i want to try to down grade from 25 to 22 millimeter, in order to get less undrestear.

Phil, is that so, this is something i think we have to look closer in to, according to US boards the Euro spring support should be lower, can we take some measurements, i have a spare strut i can measure, anyone having a Euro strut they can measure?

Chris

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
i used the Arizonazcar spec for my European springs and got MrF to sort it for me.very happy with the results.

there is about 20mm difference between spring seat heights ,the euro spec spring seat is 20mm higher than the US spec.there is a picture in my gallery with the 2 side by side.

Sport Springs
for 1970-1978 Nissan/Datsun 240Z,260Z,280Z .
These High-Performance springs are considerably stiffer than stock (about 180lbs front & 200lbs rear) and were intended to significantly improve handling by reducing body roll and dive & squat. These are great for high performance street, autocross etc. If used on a 240Z they don't lower the ride height (they're already low enough), when used on a 280Z the ride height will come down about 1.5 inches to where it should have been in the first place!
The springs come with a durable bright red powder-coated finish.
The shorter free length makes them much easier to install than a stock spring.

JK240

Club Member
This is all interesting stuff, I need to get mine sorted over the winter as its just about worn out and don't really know what to do or what to replace the current set up with...:unsure:

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
This is all interesting stuff, I need to get mine sorted over the winter as its just about worn out and don't really know what to do or what to replace the current set up with...:unsure:

Is yours on 2 & 1/4 springs with adj platforms ? if so you have a huge choice of spring rates & lengths.

JK240

Club Member
Is yours on 2 & 1/4 springs with adj platforms ? if so you have a huge choice of spring rates & lengths.

To be honest I am not sure, I know Chappers told me he put Koni coilovers in way back and I think these are what I am still running around on, albeit a little clatteringly when cats eyes and dodgy road surfaces (so that'll be most roads then) are encountered!

But I am no expert and relying a bit on some guys at work who do know what they are talking about and the ever useful members here for advice.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
How usefull Sean

Yes indeed - I'll spell it out for you then :

This "......These High-Performance springs are considerably stiffer than stock (about 180lbs front & 200lbs rear) and were intended to significantly improve handling by reducing body roll and dive & squat. These are great for high performance street, autocross etc. If used on a 240Z they don't lower the ride height (they're already low enough)....." is rollocks !

Your Eibachs and Tokicos are perfect - ideally mated to adjustable spring platforms so that YOU can adjust the stiffness to suit yourself.

This is what I have and it doesn't break your back, even over rough roads.

My friend here has the same but without the platforms and is considerably stiffer.

My feeling is that to allow the Eibachs to work at their best, adj. platforms are needed.

To say that the standard 240Z is low enough is, at best, a personal opinion - do you prefer the look and handling of a standard Z or a lowered one ?

Don't xhange what you've got - add to it !

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Sean, please point me toward those adjustable platforms, info is needed.

I'm not going to write more now, i just spend 15 minutes on a long answer / debate and got the message that the bloody tolken had expried, pis #%&/¤#)"(&%¤&

Chris

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
chris ,i was looking at getting the Rally Design 2" coilover conversion kit for my suspension if it will fit,used a vernier caliper and the strut is 50.8mm which is the same as 2" so fingers crossed this will so that i can 2 1/4 springs.

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
To say that the standard 240Z is low enough is, at best, a personal opinion - do you prefer the look and handling of a standard Z or a lowered one ?

Don't xhange what you've got - add to it !

as a point of reference and standard UK 240Z will ride higher than the USA standard 240Z which will look lowered compared to the UK 240Z.

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Mike, I know that coilover is adjustable platforms, but am i mixing things up here, can one get adjustable platforms for stock spring diameter?

I wan't to collect data about 204Z springs, so if anyone have information about avalible springs and also on springs of the past, please post it here.

When looking at my Z with the Eibach installed, the tight wound coils are almost compressed when the car rest on level ground, when i measure the hight at the sills it is 17 centimeter at the rear and 18 in the front, just behind the front wing, it can be the car can be a bit lower in the front if i re tighten the control arm bushing bolts, with some more load on the front end.
What botheres me the most is that the car buttoms out in the reat very easy and i don't like that amd i'm not that fat.

Sean, what i have to compare with is this new setup versus US suspension with sagged out springs and blown shocks, believe me there is a difference.

Chris

zbloke

Club Member
Chris,

I don't think re-tightening the control arm inner bush bolt with more load on the car will lower it any more.

Don't know if this will be usefull to you but I'm pretty sure UK/Euro spec spring rates are 87lbs front and 108lbs rear.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Mike, I know that coilover is adjustable platforms, but am i mixing things up here, can one get adjustable platforms for stock spring diameter

Chris

Hi Chris

You can adapt the original spring seats you cut off your struts to fit on the 2 1/4 adjustable spring platforms, this will enable you to fit std dia springs.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Had these made up recently over here for standard size springs.

Attachments

• Coiloversbis.jpg
    Coiloversbis.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 83

2fast2z

Well-Known Forum User
Gwyn / Sean, this make sense, i just remember me suggesting to lower the platform, it was in another topic and i was told it was a bad idea ?

Is Rally Design the "best bang for the bucks" for threated sleeves ?
But still this will not prevent the rear springs to buttom out, unless it is the bump stops doing that.

zbloke, that's the specs for the US springs as far as i have found out, if the car did not rest right on the ground it should help re-tighten, i was lazy, so i jacked up the controlarm, instead of letting the car rest where it should be, i have next to none negativ camber with this setup i have.

Time for me to take a few photos and post them.

Chris