240z Portuguese Restoration

Russ

Club Member
Wow very nice!

Was it you who was after a 240z airbox? I have one that's structurally very good but to meet the rest of your car's standards it'd have to be resprayed and restickered!

FilipeA240z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi

Yes, it was me that asked that air box. Please send me pictures of yours, I will apreciated.

I need a good pair of door arm rests in mint condition or new, but not aftermarket as MSA sells. If anyone has it, please tell me something.

Thank You

Filipe Azevedo

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Awesome work! I was over in Portugal recently....I did wonder if there were any Z's there.

dave cottom

Well-Known Forum User
Very, very nice Filipe. You don't see many restorations done to that sort of detail - it will be one of the very best around. The NOS parts must have cost a fortune. Well done mate - superb !

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
WOW !!!!!! you will have a fantastic car when you have got it all finished with them new parts:bow: :bow: :bow:

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Filipe I am very glad to have seen some photo's your 240 at last, now I see how passionate you are about your restoration (perfectionist ?) should be one of the best around, well done.

FilipeA240z

Well-Known Forum User
I think it will be very good too! I hope to have your help to finish it too! It has been the last 2 years of buying stuff. I love this car!
When I was 18 years old, I went for a drive with my car, and saw a blue 240z at gas station.
I get ou of my car to see what kind of car it was. I couldn`t believe it was a Datsun.
I only remenber Datsun with the B210 and 510 models, not this superb and good looking car. Them I bought this car in good shape and drove about 2 years till stopped it and started the restoration-

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
FilipeA240z said:
I think it will be very good too! I hope to have your help to finish it too! It has been the last 2 years of buying stuff. I love this car! -

I love this car !!! who can blame you it is a 240Z (once bitten forever smitten ;) or is it you can with a Nissan :cool:) I caught the bug when I was 12 & it won't go away :eek:. The 240Z is now 38 years old & still looks fantastic, theres not many cars you can say that about.
It is great to see the standards to which you are building your car. :bow:

FilipeA240z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi

I hope to paint the car in the original colour, that is the 907 British Racing Green.
When the hour is approching is more dificult to choose wich one looks better, but I want to keep it original as possible, so I guess it will be green.
Next week car will be all with the first paint job. I will put some photos.

Filipe Azevedo

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Is there a secret stock of Nissan parts in Portugal? I take my hat of to you Filipe, it almost makes me want to start my restoration all over again. :D

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Filipe
you should paint your car the colour that will make you happy !!!! do not do it 907 just to keep it all original ,you could do it another datsun colour of that year and it would still be original for that year.
the other thing to consider is that paint technology has moved on since 1970's. your 907 colour on the car will not be the same colour that you are going to use now,it might be darker or lighter or greener.do a test panel first just to make sure you like the colour.
just something to think about.

FilipeA240z

Well-Known Forum User
Yea :)

That`s one of colours available :) IT´s pretty too! Who knows?

One thing that I would like too debate with you, it`s the wheels that all Portuguese 240z cars have. I already read in some books and that wheels are the magnesium wheels, the same that were sold with the Fairlady 432, please see the next link and look at the pictures, and see the white Fairlady 432, look at them and see my wheels in restoration project... THEY ARE THE SAME... We were very lucky to have them and all the Portuguese cars have them.

http://images.google.pt/imgres?imgurl=http://www.2000gt.net/Datsun/Z432_09.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.2000gt.net/Datsun/Fairlady07.html&h=400&w=600&sz=64&hl=pt-PT&start=14&tbnid=0w-rJSshbgE-CM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfairlady%2B432%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dpt-PT%26sa%3DG

http://www.megagaleria.com/pictures/Pic_9522_14.jpg

http://www.megagaleria.com/pictures/Pic_9522_15.jpg

What you have to say about it? :)

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Filipe,
I had noticed that the wheels look like the Z432 ones.... now you have posted pictures to confirm. Yours is the second Portuguese 240z I have seen with them. Here is the other one:
http://www.cybersanford.net/InternationalCustomerCars.html
Its about 4 photos down.....do you know the owner (or is it the same car?)?

You are very lucky to have a set and I am very jealous! Albrecht who posts on here sometimes, maybe able to help with any questions regarding your wheels. I am surprised to hear you say all Portuguese 240z got the magnesium Z432 wheels.....many cars, many wheels, or very few 240z's in Portugal, with a few/very few wheels.... Any light on this Alan?

Very nice work by the way.
Regards
Ian

FilipeA240z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi

I don´t know the onwer, but I know a few. These wheels came in all 240z imported through the Nissan importer at the time!
All them has it and it was always 5 wheels per car, it mens that one wheels is at the trunk. :)
At the time they were very rare and very expensive, that put the car a bit more expensive, but Portugal has them in all cars.
I already saw pictures of Spain, France, Uk, USA cars they don`have it and may others countrys doesn`have it.
and WHY US? why we have them, it must has an explanation.
My reason for that, is Portugal was always a country that has cars in low numbers, and today they consider there are only 50 units 240z on country, so I guess Portugal Nissan, tried to made it full extras, to make it more apelative to the buyers.
So the country that I know to have it are Japan (in the 432) and Portugal (why)!!!
I can put here many pictures of Portuguese 240z and all of them has it, with no exception!
They look very well on the car too.

Filipe Azevedo

Last edited by a moderator:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Filipe,
Congratulations on the good work done so far. This is going to be a very nice car when it is finished.

My advice ( for what that is worth ) is that - long term - you will probably be happiest with the original factory colour of your car. It is part of the 'identity' and history of the car, and the Portuguese version of the 'HLS30' is one of the nicest 'Export' S30-series Z versions in my opinion.

FilipeA240z said:
One thing that I would like too debate with you, it`s the wheels that all Portuguese 240z cars have. I already read in some books and that wheels are the magnesium wheels, the same that were sold with the Fairlady 432, please see the next link and look at the pictures, and see the white Fairlady 432, look at them and see my wheels in restoration project... THEY ARE THE SAME... We were very lucky to have them and all the Portuguese cars have them.

What you have to say about it? :)

The Portuguese importers ( Entreposto ) had a really 'special' relationship with Nissan Japan, and always seem to have managed to get something a little more special than some other markets. I think Nissan were thinking positively about Entreposto's good contacts for the African market too, and the potential of new markets. Entreposto staff were very often in Japan, and must have insisted that their version of the 240Z had nicer wheels that the normal factory steel wheels.........

The Portuguese market version of the 'HLS30' 240Z was very nicely equipped, and the addition of the magnesium wheels - seen only on the 'PS30' model Fairlady Z432 in Japan - was something unique to that market. The wheels were made for Nissan by a company called 'Kobe Seiko', and were originally stamped at the factory with the date of their manufacture because they were expected - being magnesium - to have a relatively short life. The date stamp was part of the safety measures surrounding the wheels in Japan, and fortunately - if kept away from salt - they stood the test of time well. Did you find any date stamps on yours?

Kobe Seiko eventually modified their moulds slightly and produced a version of the 432 mag wheels for the aftermarket, calling them the 'Maglloy'. These were made in relatively small numbers up until the early 1980s. It is sometimes possible to see original 432s in Japan that are riding on Maglloys because their original wheels have deteriorated or sustained damage.

Did you know that Kobe Seiko made magnesium wheels for Japanese army and navy fighter aircraft used in the Pacific War, such as the Mitsubishi A6 Type 0 ( 'Zero' ) and Nakajima Ki-43 ( 'Oscar' )?

:)