Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Think it's quite cool really. Doubt I'll ever get one though. I'm running bargain basement stuff to get me around. Can't envisage paying 5K never mind 40K on a car again.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
Our cars won't die out. The motor car replaced the horse in the early 20th century but you can still buy, sell and ride horses.
Yeah, but you don't see many people nipping down to the shops on Blackjack, or going on a roadtrip in the Vardo with Jess and Prancer.

chris frizzell

Club Member
electric fratastic if you have lots of cash to replace them every 4 years . the main problem i think is when everythings electric i can see that car prices will go through the roof due to the cost of battery replacement . no more cheap £500 runners for people who are on miminum wage . just have a look at Tesla prices whey look like there sliding .motoring could just be for the wealthy not the masses so electric could push mankind backwards into the cottage industry . electris may be the new diesel con we all got suckered into or just get a horse. Chris

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I think secondhand petrol car prices may increase too. 'Modern Classics' that are low mileage, simple to maintain with no dpf, no Mot will be in demand. Unless the government close the loophole.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I've no idea how long batteries on an electric car last before they are knackered and need replacing. Or how much that costs.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
When I saw that, it made me think, why now? Is this the most pressing thing Bojo the clown needs to be concerned with? I do wonder if he’s taken a leaf out of Trump’s book on misdirection.

Either way, I cannot see these timescales being realistically achievable unless they really mean hybrid electric. However, like it or not, it is coming - wonder why China is so heavily invested in UK (and other countries’) power generation / distribution?

From what I understand, there simply isn’t enough lithium on the planet for us to all be driving electric, so there needs to be a leap in tech and huge investment in charging infrastructure.

Bazzateer

Club Member
When I saw that, it made me think, why now? Is this the most pressing thing Bojo the clown needs to be concerned with? I do wonder if he’s taken a leaf out of Trump’s book on misdirection.

Either way, I cannot see these timescales being realistically achievable unless they really mean hybrid electric. However, like it or not, it is coming - wonder why China is so heavily invested in UK (and other countries’) power generation / distribution?
Hybrids are getting a 5 year extension. So no purely fossil fuelled cars from 2030 and no fossil/hybrids from 2035 apparently.
From what I understand, there simply isn’t enough lithium on the planet for us to all be driving electric, so there needs to be a leap in tech and huge investment in charging infrastructure.

chris frizzell

Club Member
lets go back to the future with a Mr fusion we will never run out off beer and bananas may make your hair a little frizzy . or just keep digging bloody big holes in the planet for magic battery powder .The good news is i will be 65 in 2030 so just going to buy a petrol car until i croke . hopefully i can still get in the 280z .

Mr.G

Club Member
Driving will become a luxury for those that can afford it.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This is really being communicated hard today.

Just how efficient are these Hybrid cars? Unless they change the way official mpg figures are measured we'll never know apart from speaking to someone who has one.

My diesel Volvo XC60 is returning 45-46 mpg in the real world.