260Z 5 Speed Transmission

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
For us numpties, how do we tell which box we have?
some differences are pretty obvious - a FSC571-A box have a 3 piece case (i.e. separate bell housing casting) and so you can be sure if its 5 speed and 3 part, it'll be Porsche synchros. FS5W71-C have a beefy and fully enclosed selector housing whereas earlier boxes have a somewhat visible selector mechanism. In between those two, IMO the FS5W71-B and FS5C71-B are pretty hard to distinguish without opening them up. (I bet Alan can tell them apart tho. Dunno why I'm answering :))

Bazzateer

Club Member
some differences are pretty obvious - a FSC571-A box have a 3 piece case (i.e. separate bell housing casting) and so you can be sure if its 5 speed and 3 part, it'll be Porsche synchros. FS5W71-C have a beefy and fully enclosed selector housing whereas earlier boxes have a somewhat visible selector mechanism. In between those two, IMO the FS5W71-B and FS5C71-B are pretty hard to distinguish without opening them up. (I bet Alan can tell them apart tho. Dunno why I'm answering :))
Cheers

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Any issue with using SWEPCo GL-5 in a Warner box? Reading up on the oil suggested it was a good oil for both?
Answering my own question now after a bit of research. Per their website SWEPCo 201 is both GL-5 and TM-1 rated and can be used in both types of boxes as it won’t ‘attack’ brass/yellow parts in the same way an older style GL-5 would have. You can also get from Winchester-gears.co.Uk who supply in 2.5l and 1l so easier on the pocket
this may help

Attachments

• 265F0867-C90F-4A04-ACBA-38923423F574.jpeg
    265F0867-C90F-4A04-ACBA-38923423F574.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 26

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

Nobody's calling anyone a numpty. This stuff can be a minefield! It's easy to identify A and C type 'boxes (as Jonbills has shown), but telling the difference between an original FS5C71-B and the many variations of FS5W71-B can be tricky.

One school of thought suggests that the Servo (steel) synchro 'boxes have flanged outputs, while Warner (brass/bronze) synchro boxes have slip yoke outputs. I'm not sure that's 100% reliable as I've seen exceptions of both. However, if a particular B-type 'box has a flanged output I'd tend to think it more likely to be a Servo synchro type.

The flange vs slip yoke output thing works with the A-type 'boxes, as the Warner-synchro 4-speeds typically have slip yoke output while the Servo-synchro 5-speeds typically have flanged output.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Nobody's calling anyone a numpty. This stuff can be a minefield! It's easy to identify A and C type 'boxes (as Jonbills has shown), but telling the difference between an original FS5C71-B and the many variations of FS5W71-B can be tricky.

One school of thought suggests that the Servo (steel) synchro 'boxes have flanged outputs, while Warner (brass/bronze) synchro boxes have slip yoke outputs. I'm not sure that's 100% reliable as I've seen exceptions of both. However, if a particular B-type 'box has a flanged output I'd tend to think it more likely to be a Servo synchro type.

The flange vs slip yoke output thing works with the A-type 'boxes, as the Warner-synchro 4-speeds typically have slip yoke output while the Servo-synchro 5-speeds typically have flanged output.
Any photos of slip yoke vs flanged outputs? Cheers

Faster Behr

Club Member
Be aware that type911 will add 4% plus VAT to your order for using PayPal express checkout. Not a big deal, but “fees” of any sort do annoy me. Especially when they could have been avoided with sufficient warning. Paying someone extra for their cost of doing business is never easy to swallow for a consumer.

ZedzDead

Club Member
Thankyou......Thank you .....thankyou all !!!! for all the information will get back to you when I have experimented.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So, having changed my trans oil using the Reline MT80 I had already in store just before lockdown, I've found the gear change to be less satisfying than it had been with the old transmission fluid. So, I've just ordered the Swepco and will report back when I get round to changing it.

The good news is, it's "only" £88 delivered from this website: https://store.augmentautomotive.co.uk/swepco/206-swepco-201.html