% of hybridz !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
To have a Z in the States is somewhat conventional, to have one over here is rather less so.

In the States, to be different (and especially amidst a ready supply of different donor engines and space to use 'em) the evolution towards hybridz has produced many different cars at all levels of engineering.

In the UK, the % of hybrid Zs seems to have easily overtaken that of the % in the States - why is that ?

I think It's the Cult following of Japanese car's That has catapaulted the
interest in Hybrid projects. The increase In Shows,& race related events,
along with the advance in the 'fast & furious' street culture. DJZ 60.:cool:

Ah but what do you define as a hybrid?

Would you consider your yellow beast a Hybrid, Steve Kiddell's?

DJZ 60 said:
I think It's the Cult following of Japanese car's That has catapaulted the
interest in Hybrid projects. The increase In Shows,& race related events,
along with the advance in the 'fast & furious' street culture. DJZ 60.:cool:
True. Building a Hybrid allows people to get as close as possible to the type of car they want to drive. Most of us are not millionaires and have to "settle" for a car that is as aesthetically pleasing/driveable/powerful as the budget will allow...and if so inclined proceed to improve upon those aspects that might not come up to par. I agree with all of the above reasons but I think the joy of shoe-horning in another engine in the sanctity of your own garage taps into a certain area of the psyche that is very appealing to British men. We have a grand tradition of Heath-Robinson-esque exploits undertaken by the unassuming layman and the Hybrid is the perfect way to express this. I might be way off the mark but with the sad world events going on around us, we turn to thoughts of home, family and the nostalgia of a simpler age. Coupled with the reclamation of the male figure, after being immasculated in the 90's, perhaps it's could be seen as a way of both seeking comfort and re-asserting masculinity. But then I have had several glasses of wine at lunch so maybe not. :D

Leigh

You've certainly got a point Leigh & I can understand the feeling.I think only
a few years back There were far fewer, Transplant extraordinaire in comparison to what's happening all over? Possibly Internet access which
makes communications,parts availability & project wow factor influence.
DJZ 60.:cool:

Sean, I wasn't going were you think I was going with that question. I know that having your car referred to as a Hybrid would be the ultimate insult to you .

No, I asked your definition because I would dispute your initial statement. I don't think there are more hybrids here per stock engine’d car than in America! In fact I would say that we are still highly under represented, how many hybrids are actually on the street over here? Ok there are certainly a few more in production but I still believe that there are still not many in comparison to the stock vehicles owned.

I would agree with Leigh's post and definitely with DJZ 60's last one. I have gone back to my garage because my job involves nothing more than sending email and talking on the phone, it's not very constructive and provides little visible achievement! On top of this as DJZ 60 has said the availability of information on the intranet has put the ability/know-how of the professional in the hands of the willing novice and opened up paths of information previously unavailable through forums such as this.

This is why I have started doing what I am doing but I still think there are not as many hybrids around as you seem to think!

SeanDezart said:
To have a Z in the States is somewhat conventional, to have one over here is rather less so.

In the States, to be different (and especially amidst a ready supply of different donor engines and space to use 'em) the evolution towards hybridz has produced many different cars at all levels of engineering.

In the UK, the % of hybrid Zs seems to have easily overtaken that of the % in the States - why is that ?

where did you get your facts from Sean?

SKiddell said:
But surely there comes a point where an L series itself become a hybrid???
I'll third that one too. Let's all stick a crankshaft in from a diesel engine, now that's something that should never have been there isn't it?!!

Surely a hybrid is simply a car with any deviation from its stock condition. Actually that may be a too open a definition, maybe just a mechanical deviation from stock. Don't want the Max Power types thinking they're cool and drive hybrids rather than crud heaps ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Black Bug said:
I'll third that one too. Let's all stick a crankshaft in from a diesel engine, now that's something that should never have been there isn't it?!!

Surely a hybrid is simply a car with any deviation from its stock condition. Actually that may be a too open a definition, maybe just a mechanical deviation from stock. Don't want the Max Power types thinking they're cool and drive hybrids rather than crud heaps ;)

Cheers,
Rob
Uh-Oh that definition would make Sean's a Hybrid!:D

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1........ Ignition :D :D :D :D :D :D LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dictionary definition
Hybrid - noun - Something of mixed origin or composition.

Hey heres a thought, wouldnt something say -- ohh I dont know, let me think ....... electric steering (just a wild guess, nothing implied:rolleyes: ) be a candidate to render a car that didnt originally have it, a "hybrid".

I think we've been here before with Hybrid definitions - one of the first threads when the new forum was opened.

Hmmm...I came back to see how this thread was going but seem to have taken a wrong turn and ended up in Semantics Anonymous! No offence guys but, amusing as it may be, is it all really necessary? Let's face it in todays parlance, to the regular Mr and Mrs Smith a "Hybrid" car refers to a vehicle that uses a mixture of technologies ie internal combustion with electric motors...that's the great thing about our language, it's so flexible. We all know the original post referred to whanging an engine into your car that was never mean't to fit it (that's a technical term...take it away and use it with your friends ;)) so any attempt at hair splitting or the pinning down of an exact meaning is so much mental masturbation to be honest ;) Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm just going off to fetch my asbestos suit...:D

Well is started as a serious question and certainly not having a go at anyone - got to move on from that eh ?
Yes, probably my car now does theoretically class as a hybrid - non standard engine + !

Point taken Friday, and so moving on from the five fingers shuffle whilst rubbing my bald head....I was referring to non L series engines to include V8s and the other Nissan / Toyota conversions done and being thought / planned about in the UK !

If there are just 10 non L series S30s in the UK from 1609 sold, that makes 0.62% OR the 152 that remain and one has 6.6%)

Now apply that to the States where 137000 were sold, and that equates to 851 hybridz (or, assuming that there remains 25% of S30s sold - 34250 and apply the UKs' 6.6% and that equates to 2260 hybridz) !

Do you now see what I'm getting at ? The proportion of non Z engined S30s in the UK is proportionnally higher than those in the States !

No evil background motive here my fellow hybridz owners :), just shuffling again !

Grolls, no hard figures but count yourself how many are doing, have done, will be doing these conversions , And I said "seeams to have" which is clearly MY interpretation and obviously open to discussion - which was the whole point of the thread :)

OK now we are getting somewhere.

Two factors spring to mind straight away.

The first and most obvious; Imports, how many Hybrids in this country are from RHD stock? 50%, less? Most do seem to come from the land of little rain. This will distort your first assumption.

And second, 2260 is I doubt not even half of Hybrid Z's in the US, for instance there are 5,130 members of the HybridZ.org web site now, obviously not all members would have a Hybrid but a big percentage would probably be planning, building or owning one and I would doubt all Hybrid Z owners are members.

Back