XUL 27T re-furb' update

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Thought it was about time I posted something regarding my 260Z freshen up.

I purchased this vehicle on the 14/07/95 from Len Welch, so it's been in my sweaty palms for just over 9 years now. I'm not quite the longest standing owner of this car, as Len had previously owned it for just over 10 years (had to check the log book on that one, I actually thought it was my 10th year with the car.....not so).

The car was in very good condition when I bought it, but bear in mind this was still a 10 year old restoration. First MoT it had with me meant some welding to the floors and it had a few bits and bobs welded in over the years, but it's always been a good car.

Roll forward to January 2003 and the fuel tank rotted and leaked. The engine had started to smoke and the body was looking scruffy round the edges. I decided it time to give it the make-over it deserved.

I stripped it down over the summer and delivered a rolling shell to Gary Bellamy's in Lincolnshire around September time.

The brief was -

New chassis rails
Minor repairs to floors
Minor repair to bulkhead
Minor repair to one inner wing
Minor repair to front rad' support panel
One new wing
Both new outer sills
Both rear arches and rear corners
Outer lower skin on tailgate
Repairs to box section at rear of car above fuel tank
Minor repairs to doors
and about 3 dents removed

The paint was still looking good, but due to all the work being done I decided on a new coat (and colour) of paint. The only panels that wouldn't have needed paint was the roof, front scuttle and front spoiler (the bonnet was stone chipped).
As the engine was out, it also meant I could get the bay painted the same colour as the rest of the car - the first time it's all matched since it left the factory.

I got it back February this year and it looked the nuts. There were a couple of bits on it I wasn't happy with, but another trip up to Gary had them sorted within an hour. A bit of a nuisance as I had to trailer it back, but it is fair to say I am one happy bunny :)

It's sat in the garage since as lack of funds put any work on hold. Also I decided to do a bit of decorating in my house before I got stuck back into the car. Probably the first time in my life I have made the Zed a second priority !

However, I have made a start on the front suspension, steering rack and cross-memeber. It's all stripped into component parts ready for cleaning and painting. I have a week off work later this month to try and do some of the cheaper jobs. Modified cross-member and progressive rate springs on order.

I was going to keep the new colour secret until its debut, but what the hell - quite a few have seen it already so I'll post some pic's soon. It's Candy Apple Red btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
I did,nt know " That car" was your,s. Xul,s a beaut ! I remember when Len Welch owned it .can,t wait to hear & see latest on XUL.........................................................DJZ 60.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
XUL 27T was owned Steve Cole, an old work mate of mine back in the year dot
It was the memory of this car that promted me to buy VAA 111V, a 1980 280ZX and Steve actually came along when I brought itearly in 1988. ( sh*t that 18 years membership to this club)

when Steve owned XUL 27T it used to have a sunroof and was coloured Silver and Blue

If you have a copy of Ben Millspaugh's Book" Z-Car Enthusiast"
there is a Black and White photo of XUL 27T in there in its old colours

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
I remember XUL from 1989,William Gallier,s. XUL won the 'president,s cup 2 year,s consecutive, & then "Best Z" On the combined Z club & Z register get together/meeting.....DJZ 60.

abas

Well-Known Forum User
zedhead

hats off to you for investing that kind of money/effort into your z.

My car is at a similar stage although not painted yet. Like you I'm heavily into re-assembling the jigsaw puzzle at the moment.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Now that Zedheads car has left Garys workshop, my 260 has taken its place. I am having all the bodywork be sorted and a bare metal respray. And the engine bay painted too. Work starts next week.....

I one of the people to have seen Robs car since it came back, and I second his comment on the finish of his car. Thats why mine is with Gary.

Cheers
Ian

240z

Club Member
Hats off to all you people, I must admit, when it came to doing a similar renovation of my old car, or buying a new one with most things already 'done' - I picked the easy option.

I won't be doing the same thing again though.. this car I'm sticking with!

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by STEVE BURNS
when Steve owned XUL 27T it used to have a sunroof and was coloured Silver and Blue

I have some photo's of it somewhere, complete with 8' CB ariel !
I'll dig them out for scanning and post them up too.

So glad Len gave it a new roof skin. For that I can forgive him for not painting the engine bay.

abas

Well-Known Forum User
I have earmarked the money I can afford to spend on specific mechanical and other components which leave me with no money for a respray. So once I get it running (which hopefully will be over the winter) it is going to look like sh*t for a while until I get round to respraying it.

The plan is to get to Billing next year, although I think it unlikely my car will be winning any prizes ( see above;)) unless there is a prize for the worst looking car there:) Sounds like Rob/Ian might be up for the prizes if their cars are finished by then.

Andrew

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
I was lucky enough to see Rob's car last week and the bodywork looks very nice and it's nice to know it's not just my zed thats floating on axle stands at the moment.
Gary will be getting my zed one day soon, just have to spend even more of my life at work saving those penny's.

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by zedhead260
... so it's been in my sweaty palms for just over 9 years now..

Blimey - you've got strong arms :D :D

That nice Mr Bellamy does a very nice job, doesn't he? (Thanks for the tip Mr F :) )

290frontqrh600.jpg

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Zedhead, its good to know that you are under way with the re build stage now. I'm just a little bit worried that the Zed might drop down to third place now, given the other new interest in your life!!!!
(Truth is Im only jealous!!!!)

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
am i being rather nosey? how much? ball park would do!!! only cos im going to strip my 260 next week for a top 2 bottom paint/pannels/underneath etc.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Abas,
I don't know about Rob, but I don't see any chance of having my Z ready for Billing next year. It maybe the year after. I have the engine to build as well, and put it back together with what goodies I have at the moment. As for winning prizes, thats for others to decide!!!

Grolls,
That is a bit hard to say. It depends on the condition of your car, what welding is required and what you want done. My Z is structurally sound as I have had a lot done before giving it to Gary. Its the preparation of the body that gives you the finish to the paint. I know what Rob paid for his, and provisionally mine is likely to be a fair bit more. Mine does not need as much welding( chassis legs) as Robs, but mine needs work on other areas.

Cheers
Ian

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
I think the main "Prize" is owning, enjoying, and allocating your own budget to what is affordable to each owner.Billing comes once a year, but your car goes wherever you want it to.If you are satisfied with your car & feel proud of what you have achieved then don,t worry what other,s think of your car,during whatever stage of progress..................................DJz 60.

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
An old photo of XUL still in its original colour.

Don't know where it was taken though.

XUL1.jpg

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Overhead shot with silver on blue paint. Note the sunroof and CB aerial.

XUL2.jpg

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Front shot of car showing number plate and deep spoiler.

What a cool tow car !!

XUL3.jpg