World's Fastest 350Z

Mr.F

Inactive
This link will take you to a BIG download - not for dial-up, Broadband only I fear. It may be big, but if you like your drag racing it is well worth the wait!

http://www.theexperience.com/recordrun.htm

:350Z: I am humbled...this car is awesome. When anyone asks what will I do when I win the lottery - it will be this! And it doesn't have a Chevy or a F*** or a Chrysler or even eight cylinders...

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
jeeze thats one big hole in that motor....... ouch! and they dont seem to care,obviously not their money.:eek:

Mr.F

Inactive
Are you sure you saw the right vid? The same guys blew holes in the block of their earlier car (the gunmetal one) on a nitrous loaded run, but this is the NEW car - full on Pro car in orange with graphics. No breakages on the vid I'm watching (again and again and again).

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
Oh you are missing something else there!

Mike, I can see the speed but was there a time with that run?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Is that "World" as in 'USA'?........

And how much of that car is actually Z33 any more?

Mind you, any Z33 that disappears out of sight extremely quickly is to be applauded :p :p :p

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Best vid was the exploded engine - VERY impressive !

But here we go again - define fastest !

Straight line 1/4 mile
0-100 mph
same and stopping
best circuit time - (then choose that circuit)
fastest top speed
etc, etc, etc......

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
But here we go again - define fastest !

Straight line 1/4 mile
0-100 mph
same and stopping
best circuit time - (then choose that circuit)
fastest top speed
etc, etc, etc......

Well, as it was a quarter mile run, one would assume it'd be the fastest up a quarter mile.........................no ?

It's hardley going to be the fastest round a track with a set-up like that.

You really do have a hang up about drag racing don't you Sean :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I meant define 'fastest' in all senses !

I like drag racing - really ! But I don't consider it to be THE definition of fastest ! A term surely made up of too many variables (cornering, braking, dodgy weather handling, gear-change ease) etc to simply say 'I have the fastest car 'cos I can do 1/4 mile runs in 11 seconds etc !

I'm still more impressed when I see a Z coming up to lap other cars on a circuit :) !

Mr.F

Inactive
if you like your drag racing
This might have given you a clue as to what definition of "fastest" we are working with here.....

The run was 6.63 at 215.34 mph BTW - on a par with the Pro Mod guys over here and only a little slower than we saw the Fireforce Jet Car run last Sunday!

All the vids of both record breaking cars are excellent on "The Experience" site and there are hundreds of photos for the build on the new Pro car.

The engine appears to be based on the VQ35, but no details of capacity. Two huge turbos up in the air provide in well excess of 1500 hp, I would estimate. The 8 second car was reputed to have 1400 bhp.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Mr.F said:
The engine appears to be based on the VQ35, but no details of capacity. Two huge turbos up in the air provide in well excess of 1500 hp, I would estimate. The 8 second car was reputed to have 1400 bhp.

as i cant seem to see the clip, how much of the z was left?

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
SeanDezart said:

I like drag racing - really ! But I don't consider it to be THE definition of fastest ! A term surely made up of too many variables (cornering, braking, dodgy weather handling, gear-change ease) etc to simply say 'I have the fastest car 'cos I can do 1/4 mile runs in 11 seconds etc !
To take it a step further, then your definition means Asafa Powell is not the fastest man in the world :confused:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
World Land and sea and air records are ALWAYS in straight lines.
[/QUOTE]I'm still more impressed when I see a Z coming up to lap other cars on a circuit :) !
Thats a measure of "handling". A related concept obviously.

In built into the term "fastest" is the concept of "fastest speed"
That always in straight lines.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
'Quickest', perhaps?
Surely drag racing is about time as much as speed?

For what its worth, I know a couple of Z32s that have gone 'faster' ( top speed ) than that Z33........

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Albrecht said:
And how much of that car is actually Z33 any more?
All quiet on the MJP Eastern front?

Ok, maybe it was something of a rhetorical question. But the question still stands:

Exactly how can that Super Pro car be called "The World's Fastest 350Z" when it only even looks like a 350Z if you are squinting at it through cracked beer goggles and a Doris Day filter (tm)?

When the body comes off it's quite clear that there's probably more '350Z' parts in a Pot Noodle than that car.........

Anyone care to explain? :confused:

Mr.F

Inactive
In drag racing terms, the car is loosely based on a 350Z profile and uses the original engine as a basis for making the power. It is closer to the original concept than, say a Fuel Funny where the profile bears only a passing resemblance to the car on which it is based and employs a purpose built engine from another source entirely, but not as close as Pro Stock cars which have to conform to a template profile of the cars on which they are based. You would have to criticise most extreme race cars on this basis - even the Nissan BTCC cars had little Primera that you would recognise left in them.

To make an efficient and safe drag car of this calibre, there is not going to be any of the original chassis or suspension left. If you could bear the task of looking at the hundreds of photos available on the site, the details of construction would be clear - it follows conventional modern drag car practice with lots of tubular framework over which the body is hung. Bodywork is all fibreglass, moulded from an original body and "cut and shut" to accomodate the designed wheelbase, axle configuration, tyre size etc. It is a drag car through and through; it is not a showroom stock 350Z with a powerful engine coupled to the original drivetrain. I didn't feel the need to make the thread title imply all of this as people who like drag racing and regularly attend understand the implications of making vehicles perform like this.

Their other eight second quarter 350Z is closer to the truth and probably has the original VIN on it somewhere. The fact remains that they are (as far as my, obviously limited, knowledge goes) the "quickest" drag racing 350Zs in the world. If not, then the rest are keeping quiet about it. I have great respect for the task of achieving this without resorting to the big American V8 route where the horsepower is easy and plentiful. These guys obviously love both Nissan cars and drag racing - it is natural to combine the two into this creation - not dissimilar to me putting a BBC in a 280ZX, cutting half the inner structure out, installing a live axle and tubs and still calling it the fastest / quickest 280ZX in the U.K. (although if I follow my argument to its logical conclusion, Ronny Picardo had a 280ZX bodied Funny Car at one time that certainly ran sevens, if not sixes...damnation!). O.K. - fastest / quickest "doorslammer" which is what this 350Z still is (just).

Build a Z32 (or a Z33 for that matter) with the right power, gearing and aerodynamics and you can exceed 215 mph for sure, but you won't do it in a quarter of a mile from a standing start in under seven seconds. I'd be more than happy to be shown that that is not the case, but in my book you build cars to a purpose. The link is to a car built for drag racing - if anyone doesn't like drag racing, then don't follow the link.

I'm sorry it's American if that is what offends....

All quiet on the MJP Eastern front?
Work and customers come first...

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Mr.F said:
In drag racing terms, the car is loosely based on a 350Z profile and uses the original engine as a basis for making the power
.......but not as close as Pro Stock cars which have to conform to a template profile of the cars on which they are based. You would have to criticise most extreme race cars on this basis - even the Nissan BTCC cars had little Primera that you would recognise left in them.
I'd say that there is a big difference between something that looks like a '350Z', and a race car that is based on an original bodyshell. The Primera BTCC race cars were based ( at least notionally ) on a modified standard production bodyshell - so, in terms of degree at least, the Primera is much much more Primera than the '350Z' Super Pro drag race car is 350Z.............

Mr F. said:
To make an efficient and safe drag car of this calibre, there is not going to be any of the original chassis or suspension left. .............. It is a drag car through and through; it is not a showroom stock 350Z with a powerful engine coupled to the original drivetrain. I didn't feel the need to make the thread title imply all of this as people who like drag racing and regularly attend understand the implications of making vehicles perform like this.
Mike, I'd say I understand the implications alright. Having grown up with a father who turned up to see Sydney Allard and Dean Moon at Blackbushe in 1963, I was kind of brought up with Rods, Customs, Bonneville, drag racing and everything that went with that from an early age. But he was also mad for GT racing and indeed any other form of motor sport. I spent many a cold and windy day at Woodvale, Wroughton and Blackbushe ( even more at Poddington ) as well as Brands, Silverstone, Mallory, Oulton, Snet ( as well as Le Mans and Spa ).

I had a very catholic motorport-related upbringing, so you aren't talking over my head. But others might not understand that making anything run that fast and quick means that very little of the original car is left. And that's the crux of my point. It's not a '350Z' is it? Or at least not much of the car left the Factory as a '350Z'........

Mr F. said:
I'm sorry it's American if that is what offends....
Why would it being "American" offend me? Care to explain that?

Mr F. said:
Work and customers come first...
For me too. But talking about cars comes a close third. Cars of all types and origin. Including American ones, Mike.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Asafa Powell - sorry, been living in the sticks - who ?

Yeah, I'd say Albrecht has a point - time is the most important factor when 'dragging', not terminal speed !
So, how does one define fastest, Pmac, in a straight line :

eg :

0-400m - 8 secs or
0-189 mph - 16.7 secs

I STILL PREFER TO MEASURE SPEED OVER A DISTANCE, PREFERABLY LAP-TIMES so there !!!

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
The New Oxford Shorter English Dictionary.

Fast - Rapid, swift, quick moving; imparting quick motion.

Quick - Able to do something with speed. Of an action that is done or happens rapidly or with speed, or with a short interval.

Speed - The action, quality, or capability of moving quickly; rapidity of travel or movement, swiftness.

Now lets play a word association game :rolleyes: