The "other car" blues.......

jakone

Well-Known Forum User
So......

Just had a baby 7 weeks ago, all is well so looked for a companion for my 260Z, had an RX8 for a while (great fun) but he's a big lad already and the boot aperture is simply too narrow for "stuff"....so I sold it before he was born and bought an S Type Jag Sport.

THE WORST CAR IN THE WORLD!

Sorry, maybe you got a good one but mine was a disaster. Bought in haste, repented in haste frankly...In a nut shell it's brain died, so did mine :banghead:
Sold it last week to a dealer and lost quite a lot of money.....

My question is this-with a £4k budget what would you buy to transport your young family and all of it's stuff in comfort and reliably? Has to be group 16 insurance or below...

All comments, suggestions, idea's very very welcome...

I'm saying nothing else so's not to sway the replies..

Thanks!:driving:

What about a "sporty" estate car such as a Subaru Legacy or similar?

!!rE2FvQBm0~$(KGrHqQH-D!Erf8j3iuLBK6)zY,1iw~~_12.JPG

Looked at those.....really ace but grey imports (most) and group 20 :eek::eek:!

Utterly on the right lines though!!

I hear that....unfortunately the idea of driving a mondeo long distance to gigs (work) would make my insides all sad.....:(

Not adverse to older though......80's choice's?

Some tidy Vectra B facelift 2.5 V6 estates out there for silly money. Easy to work on, parts are cheap, and leave you enough left over to buy some new instruments.

Thinking about it. I know of a almost mint, full service history, pro-drive 2 converted (2 litre BIG turbo, with the uprated handling kit, installed and certificated by a Subaru Dealer) Subaru Forester going for £3000. It has full service history. Was my step dad's before he died. My mum cannot afford to keep the repayments going and the selling price is whats left on the HPI to clear it and save it from re-possession. Basically its a minter except for the front passenger wing which has a nasty dent in it after he found a metal pole. Only the wing got damaged and could be repaired for around £200 (new/secondhand wing followed by a blow over with some paint). Could do with a valet though. Has tow bar and twin electrics as well. Need to know by 15th January though or the re-po man will get there before you.

I was in the market for a new family car, similar circumstances, and went to look at quite a few different motors. I started with a list of ten different cars. In the end I went for a Volvo S60 SE T (2L low pressure Turbo), I got an excellent one from a trader for £3900 (52 plate), 52k miles, one owner, FVSH, leather, climate control, cruise control, great factory stereo etc... The most comfortable seats I have ever sat in (electric memory seat too)!

Minor down side is rear leg room slightly tight (not a problem for a child), average about 31mpg (not brilliant).

You get a lot of goodies for the price plus lots of good safety features. The boot is big too! Have driven to Scotland (425 miles one way) and back with a full load of baby gear, pram etc and am very pleased with it.

What is a caravanette?
I vote for a VW T4 multivan the 151hp TDI, it is bullet proof, drives fantastic and there is plenty of space inside, if it wasn't for the high taxes here, i would have one my self.

Chris

I know of a almost mint, full service history, pro-drive 2 converted (2 litre BIG turbo, with the uprated handling kit, installed and certificated by a Subaru Dealer) Subaru Forester going for £3000. .

Sounds great but group 17 and I need something that doesn't need any fettling after the nightmare I've just had. Thanks for the offer though..

Volvo-super comfy, mate has one....forgot about those...had a quick scan and not too many around..but some...

Van-would love one but live in West London and don't want to be mistaken for an Australian student :lol:
Actually it's more a parking thing...

Excellent wide range of suggestions-not adverse to something older though...:thumbs:

You can buy Audi and BMW estates quite cheaply...But who wants to look like every other mug on the road? ;)
A lexus GS300 or LS400 might be an alternative executive choice!

Some tidy Vectra B facelift 2.5 V6 estates out there for silly money. Easy to work on, parts are cheap, and leave you enough left over to buy some new instruments.

Or how about a Vauxhall Signum?....A 'posher' 4 seater type of Vectra with optional built in sat nav and rear fridge on some models! Available as a 1.8 petrol through 2.0 turbo, plus petrol and tdi V6 3.0 models.

IMG_5257.JPG

4.jpg

Back