The black LHD 260Z is up for sale again..

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
.... Black doesn't work on a Z.

Agreed - especially with blacked out windows!!!

I really wouldn't pay £21k for this given the lovely original red one we've been discussing. Nothing wrong with it per say, it's a good condition car but it's a matter of relativity (as Einstein once uttered)! ;)

But, if it sells for that, then happy days for values of our cars! :D

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I think black can look good on an S30, just not this one. The wheels and fitment ruin it for me and the headlight covers for some reason don't look quite right on a black car :confused:

Black S30s only seem to look their best with wide arches, I guess it's as they say, black is slimming!

[edit] In the links at the bottom I see that the Cedric is still up for sale, why has nobody bought that yet? Such a cool car, though the seats are pretty hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:

richiep

Club Member
I think black can look good on an S30, just not this one. The wheels and fitment ruin it for me and the headlight covers for some reason don't look quite right on a black car :confused:

Black S30s only seem to look their best with wide arches, I guess it's as they say, black is slimming!

They don't necessarily need arches, just the right wheel choice and stance. I maintain that Zedboy's car "Growler" looks great in black: lowered, and running gold-with-polished-lip Enkei mesh alloys.

PICT1049.JPG

I agree on the headlight covers, although TBH (JDM snob moment coming up), the only non-ZG headlight covers that do it for me are the genuine JDM option ones with the polished frames.

I think where that car's features are concerned, its nothing that couldn't be changed relatively easily (LHD discrimination not withstanding) but extra cost to be factored in against the asking price. I'm personally not sure the UK market is quite ready for a LHD 260Z in a less-preferred colour for Zs with some other divisive details for over 20k.

P.S. pedant moment - please can someone sort out the droopy front bumper!! :smash: :D

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Err Techie Moment - Can Someone Throw Those Down Draught Carbs Away, They’re Just Nasty.
Also Front Indicators Are The Wrong Way Around

And If You Are Reading This (Vendor) Capitalising The Leading Letter Of Each Word (Capitalization) Is Really Annoying To Read.

bluejon

Club Member
Metallic black was an original later colour though right? I don't mind it ... with the crime it looks like a sharp suit. Segue to a question on headlight covers ... how do those things attach, and are they easily removed without damage or leaving marks to the bodywork around the light?

johnymd

Club Member
If you remove the covers you will have to weld and fill the fixing holes then repaint. They are held on with little L shape brackets.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If you remove the covers you will have to weld and fill the fixing holes then repaint. They are held on with little L shape brackets.

John, I think those are like mine on my blue car - the brackets are held on with double-sided tape.

I would remove mine if I could be sure of not damaging the paint. They may look good on some cars but they reduce the light output and get condensation in them. Another after-market way of spoiling the car :rolleyes:

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
In the US a 1978 280Z "Black Pearl" edition was sold (in small numbers) to mark the end of the S30 model run. Paint code for the Black Pearl was 638 (black metallic).

JonB

Club Member
Hi, guys...

I am a new member- I am sure I am going to be a regular contributor now that I have just bought my second Z.

I bought my first Z new in 1972- it came in silver, but I must confess that I had it resprayed black after 3 months... reg no was TPD 958M, and I did over 300,000 miles over 15 or so years.

Looked great in black, I have to say- I will try and dig out some pics fro the 70's!

New one is blue- sure to let you know all about it later-

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I maintain that Zedboy's car "Growler" looks great in black: lowered, and running gold-with-polished-lip Enkei mesh alloys.

Can't disagree with that! Gold and black is such a good colour combination (JPS!), there's a black 240z I really like with (super)wide arches and gold accents that looks badass, there don't seem to be that many pics of it though:

3039_18a8.jpeg

on your other point, I must say I really don't like the chromed headlight cover surrounds, they make it look like the car's wearing glasses!

I bought my first Z new in 1972- it came in silver, but I must confess that I had it resprayed black after 3 months... reg no was TPD 958M, and I did over 300,000 miles over 15 or so years.

Always nice to see old period photos. How come it had an 'M' plate on it in 1972?

My M reg 260Z was also originally silver but resprayed black at some point, though whoever did it made a half-assed job of it with bits peeling off.

Took this pic the night I got it home iirc, it actually looks a lot better here than I remember, but then it was almost pitch black.

IMAG0104.jpg