That could have turned ugly.....water pump change

Graham Palmer

Club Member
As part of my winter 'why not' maintenance an my 240z, I wanted to swap the water pump....no reason..other than, I'd bought one as a while back and do not know when the current one was fitted....(oh and there's the small matter of my 1500 mile Euro trip this spring :cool: )....

anyway having read a few 'threads' on this...its clear the longer bolts can be a challenge to remove (err snap = nightmare)....

and...all but one of the bolts came out easily..the final one was TIGHT o_O..very reluctant to turn....but slowly, slowly I manged to coax it out (with help from a lot of PlusGas) ...you can see the amount of corrosion on the bolt is ugly...but I've got new bolts on order ....anyone have any ideas on how I can clean up the bolt hole/threads ?.

its the hole on the side of the block which is open ended (behind the alternator)....I could use a tap/die (but worried that could snap off in there and its kind'a limited access)..is there a chemical what will 'dissolve' the crud in the bolt hole ?

any ideas welcome

cheers Graham

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 22
  • bolt half way.jpg
    bolt half way.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 21
  • bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 22
  • old n new.jpg
    old n new.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 22

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The joys of classic car ownership.

Well done for not damaging anything.

If you've got new bolts on their way and your threads on the bolts and in the alloy aren't damaged you might like to try cleaning the bolts with a wire brush and then cut some slots in then longitudinally. Then use them like a tap and with oil gently work them in and out, be gentle and tease them in backwards and forwards - take your time and remove then occasionally to remove 'crud' from the grooves you cut.

Mr.G

Club Member

If you've got new bolts on their way and your threads on the bolts and in the alloy aren't damaged you might like to try cleaning the bolts with a wire brush and then cut some slots in then longitudinally. Then use them like a tap and with oil gently work them in and out, be gentle and tease them in backwards and forwards - take your time and remove then occasionally to remove 'crud' from the grooves you cut.
That's what I have done too Rob and it's worked well, it's very gentle as it doesn't cut into the aluminium. Back and forth gentle cleaning each time and reoiling. I usually use brake cleaner to clean the crud off, reoil and do it again until clean.

Robotsan

Club Member

Great tip, thanks for sharing that 👍🏻