Suspension replacement advice for a '73 240z

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hello folks,

Hoping some folks who have been through this already can perhaps give me some advice.

My datsun is in need of a suspension overhaul. I've already got a bush replacement kit, but just trying to work out what else I need. I've no intention of every putting it on a track, so that would rule out coil overs. So i'm left with replacing the shocks and possibly the springs.

The question I have is with that parts; e.g. springs and shocks. My car is a US import, but looks like it's already been lowered at some point in its life. You can see the picture below. I'm happy with this ride height, but i'm somewhat fearful I could buy new springs which ultimately ended up raising it from it's current height. I welcome any advice on products worth considering and specific sizing etc.

IMG_0196.jpeg

Here's what Mike publishes on MJP about it - "A set of four coil springs for the 240Z custom made to your requirements. Please state on order form the lowering drop required and the percentage increase in rate you would like. If no data given we will assume 38mm drop and +15% on rate for normal road use. If lowering any Z it is highly recommended that you build in sufficient adjustability to compensate for changes in camber which will may result. No responsibility for increased tyre wear resulting from lowering will be entertained! Our Foamex bump stops are highly recommended with this installation."

Many thanks, Graeme

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Coilovers are not just for tracks but getting the ride height as you wish, especially between front and rear as the rear tends to 'sag' naturally !

I thik that you need to investigate what is already fitted to have a starting point.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
BC Coilovers.

You'll definitely end up with something that'll you're very happy with that way imo...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
BC Coilovers.

You'll definitely end up with something that'll you're very happy with that way imo...

Attn, way, way hard spring rates for the road - ask for some feedback from several current owners who've fitted them. They're 'cheap' and cheerful.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Why do you think you need new springs and shocks? Is the car soft and bouncy when pushed down. You haven'driven it have you?

Someone may have already uprated the shocks.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Why do you think you need new springs and shocks? Is the car soft and bouncy when pushed down. You haven'driven it have you?

Someone may have already uprated the shocks.

Hi Rob,

I most definitely need to replace a bunch of perished bushes - I know that much. I guess I’d figured I should probably do something with the suspension whilst doing that job. You are right though, not driven it much.

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strugrat

Club Member
BC Coilovers.

I agree with Woody. The BCs are great for the money. I went with the BC recommended spring rates and am very happy with the ride quality (so is my wife, which says a lot).

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Group buy on some BC coilovers?

I liked my GAZ gold kit I had on my first Z. I'd probably use them again for ease.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Group buy on some BC coilovers?

I liked my GAZ gold kit I had on my first Z. I'd probably use them again for ease.

Why not a street-spec defined within the club and a supplier approached to build ? Francky always has good ideas like that and there must be a large and ever growing euro market needing them !

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Why not a street-spec defined within the club and a supplier approached to build ? Francky always has good ideas like that and there must be a large and ever growing euro market needing them !

Good idea Shaun. I have sent GAZ an email to see if a group buy would be possible - perhaps if someone has contacts within BC they could do the same?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Dan - your spellchecker sucks !:p

Those are two options of course. I was thinking more of someone smaller, a reputable engineering shop, in the UK, who would make what most people want :

1x coilover kit (to be assembled at home or via the customers' pro garage using self-supplied struts)
1x complete, ready to fit coilover kit (saving the OEM struts to turn back to stock if ever desired)

Similar to those offereings from T-Toy :

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/front-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/evolved-rear-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/rear-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z

and I saw a limited kit on ebay.uk for around £250 - no ?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Dan - your spellchecker sucks !:p

Those are two options of course. I was thinking more of someone smaller, a reputable engineering shop, in the UK, who would make what most people want :

1x coilover kit (to be assembled at home or via the customers' pro garage using self-supplied struts)
1x complete, ready to fit coilover kit (saving the OEM struts to turn back to stock if ever desired)

Similar to those offereings from T-Toy :

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/front-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/evolved-rear-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/rear-coilover-conversion-datsun-240z

and I saw a limited kit on ebay.uk for around £250 - no ?

It works just fine SHAUN ;)

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hello folks,

Hoping some folks who have been through this already can perhaps give me some advice.

My datsun is in need of a suspension overhaul. I've already got a bush replacement kit, but just trying to work out what else I need. I've no intention of every putting it on a track, so that would rule out coil overs. So i'm left with replacing the shocks and possibly the springs.

The question I have is with that parts; e.g. springs and shocks. My car is a US import, but looks like it's already been lowered at some point in its life. You can see the picture below. I'm happy with this ride height, but i'm somewhat fearful I could buy new springs which ultimately ended up raising it from it's current height. I welcome any advice on products worth considering and specific sizing etc.

View attachment 34943

Here's what Mike publishes on MJP about it - "A set of four coil springs for the 240Z custom made to your requirements. Please state on order form the lowering drop required and the percentage increase in rate you would like. If no data given we will assume 38mm drop and +15% on rate for normal road use. If lowering any Z it is highly recommended that you build in sufficient adjustability to compensate for changes in camber which will may result. No responsibility for increased tyre wear resulting from lowering will be entertained! Our Foamex bump stops are highly recommended with this installation."

Many thanks, Graeme
When I had my US 240Z I got the lowered springs of MJP but they are too low for a US 240Z and were loose aswell, I think they are more suited to UK spec cars. I put tokico lowering springs on from the USA and they was OK but not a lot of travel on the front springs so was harsh on poor roads so I got MJP to source me some UK spec springs for my 240Z and I was very pleased with them.
On my current Z I have gone with BC coilovers as when done it has a good amount of adjustment and ride stiffness.
UK spec spring seats are 20mm higher than US spec cars.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Is this the product you are referring to? What's the process? I assume I have to remove my strutts and send them to a supplier to cut / weld?

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applicat...strut-70-73/br-series-coilover-type-rh-6.html

Yes those are them however they're available cheaper direct from Corby Motorsport.

Remove your struts, section them on the bottom and weld on the BC coiler sleeve. Either yourself or a local welder can do the work. Relatively simple for anyone who is half competent and the results are superb.

Attn, way, way hard spring rates for the road - ask for some feedback from several current owners who've fitted them. They're 'cheap' and cheerful.

I've heard nothing but glowing reviews for them myself, the ride in my Z is amazing and the handling superb. I do however have TTT adjustable control arms as well...