Stirling Moss has died today

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Sad news but what an amazing life. If you let yourself think of the tracks he has raced on (Nurburgring, long Spa, Mille Miglia (Italian roads) etc. you realise how brave he must have been. So many drivers died.

He was exceptional and versatile.

When I was a kid if anyone drove too fast someone would say 'who do you think you are Stirling Moss?'.

2000StirlingMoss.jpg

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Great guy! Hope it was natural causes and not this damn Corona virus. One of the terrible things is he’ll miss out on a great send off as you can’t have a funeral.
A friend of mine has just lost her Grandpa at over 100yrs old and I think it’s such a shame that you can’t mourn as we normally would.

I was always told when I was driving like a lunatic...’who do you think you are, bloody Juha kankkunen!’

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Thinks he's Colin McRae was the version we used (Bristol's country lanes).

I read on bbc's website, he had been suffering from a long term illness.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Greatest driver never to win the World Championship. Won a lot of races, and different types of races. Runner-up twice at Le Mans. Great career. Sadly missed - a real star of the sport and a fantastic driver.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I hope there is a tribute programme for him. So many people use the term legend these days - he was one!

His sister Pat was a 'world class' driver too.

Bazzateer

Club Member
Lucky enough to meet him a couple of times and see him driving his Renault Twizzy around Mayfair with Lady Moss on the tandem rear seat. Nearly ran into me on his scooter at Silverstone Classic in 1995.
Still liked to talk about "crumpet"!

istoo

Well-Known Forum User
I took my oldest lad (then 16) to Goodwood FOS in 2014 for the full four days, there was an auction on in the big house before the weekend events kicked off.
Standing outside in the baking sun looking at the sculptures on the lawn, got yapping to another bloke there with his son.
His lad wanted to go home.
Chap asked if we wanted his passes for the auction, err yes please!

There was an original gulwing on the way into the main tent, my lads favourite car at the time... he was having a good nose about it, asked me what it would be like to drive. The old boy behind him turned round, put his hand my my lads shoulder and told him 'it was a real mans car have to grab it by the scuff of the neck', i dont remember much of the rest of the minute or so long conversation on cars her had with my son, I asked if he minded a photo, so I got a picture with my lad and Stirling Moss. Big beaming smile. I knew who he was, had never really followed motorsports enough of that era to understand it, but he is elevated into god status for me, he didn't have to do that, we looked so out of place there in shorts and sweaty T shirts.

I still have the catalogue somewhere, we worked out if we sold the van we could afford about three things, one was a poster... We were in the tent as a Ferrari 275 sold for a eight figure sum.

Was one of many open encounters that weekend which took both my own and my sons love for machines to a whole new place.

Bazzateer

Club Member
The Imp Club had a stand at the NEC a few years back. One of our members had a police Imp on display along with a shop window mannequin dressed as a WPC. Sir Stirling came along and posed for some pics with the WPC. He had a cheeky smile on his face as he grabbed the mannequin's breasts. Typical of him, always talking about the crumpet.