stainless rain Gutters Help!!

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi all
Finally got car into bodyshop and was helping to strip down the car today.
I am looking for help with regards removing the gutter trims.
These look and feel like they have been sikaflex (stuck on) and we are having difficulty removing them.
Looking for top tips or sugestions!
I was wondering if heat would help?
or if anyone has some spare in good nick I can be totally brutal and just force them off.
Car is a 260z 2+2 by the way.

Thanks in advance
Andrew
:thumbs:

They should tap off with a peice of wood. Start at one end and working from underneath place the wood against the edge of the trim and gently tap it away from the roof gutter.easier to explain on thenphone so if you want to call me please do
Ben

Just seen the ad in the classifieds Andy, did you just rip em off and now need replacements....

Not quite as rash as that JK
I would like replacements so that I can just rip them off.
I am sure that there is sikaflex under ther as I can see it at the ends and also a little bit is visible along the middle.
I am aware that too much heat will blue(discolour) the stainless so it looks like I am a bit stuffed, unless I can find replacements as it is unlikely I shall be able to get them off undamaged.
I am looking for any sugestions to what to do.
Cheers
Andrew

I just popped my passenger side one off last weekend and was surprised how well held it was even without having been bonded. I was convinced it had been until the moment it finally started to give. Not that that little anecdote is really a particularly constructive addition to this thread...

What was your technique in poping them off?
I was thinking of using a sharp putty knife and from underneeth prying them up and over, but fear that that will kink the trims.
I think that I really will need replacements as the roof has some surface rust near the rails so will requirethe removal.

I just popped my passenger side one off last weekend and was surprised how well held it was even without having been bonded. I was convinced it had been until the moment it finally started to give. Not that that little anecdote is really a particularly constructive addition to this thread...

Has anyone got a broken or are breaking a 260z 2+2 with the drip rails still on?
Will to part with the cash to acquire.

Wrapped a cloth round the end of a big flat screwdriver and tried prizing, saw it was moving a tiny bit but didn't want to prize any harder, got a very firm hold of the end with both hands and pulled very hard, but sort of leaned up against the car with my bodyweight at the same time with my hands against my chest, rather than at arms length so that if and when it did give I wouldn't just tear the whole thing off from the momentum. If that makes any sense at all. Then when the first few inches of that end came away it was just case of pulling with one hand where I was trying to get it off the gutter and the other lengthways if you will, to stop the trim from bending. Again, if that makes any sense. Hard to explain.

If they are bonded on with an adhesive like Sikaflex, then the cheese wire suggestion is the best - like taking out a bonded windscreen.

Andy,
Here you go :)

Datsun 280z 2 2 Drip Edge Trim | eBay

Im sure US shipping won't be that bad......
The seller quotes $50.
So on the assumption that you actually won them for the opening bid of $65 that makes a shipped price of $115 or £75 approx
add 20% import vat =£90 plus a courier handling fee and you are looking at a delivered price of almost £100.

I was going to offer a pair at £40 plus arrange your own courier.;)

At that price Peter will take you up on that.
Are they in good nick etc
Will PM you
:cheers:
Andrew

The seller quotes $50.
So on the assumption that you actually won them for the opening bid of $65 that makes a shipped price of $115 or £75 approx
add 20% import vat =£90 plus a courier handling fee and you are looking at a delivered price of almost £100.

I was going to offer a pair at £40 plus arrange your own courier.;)

Many thanks for all the help and tips!!
Looks like Pmac has come through with the goods.
I certainly won't be using Sikaflex to still the new ones on.

I hope to start a thread on the rebuild of the car.
A bit unusual to rebuild a 2+2 to such an extent but I don't won't to do it again in another 10 years!

:thumbs:

Back