Spike and samuri new web site

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Interesting - look forward to reading the book.

Great photo -

image7101.gif

.....and what great taste in cars that man had, Datsun Z's & Toyota Celica's :)

Hugh Myers

Well-Known Forum User
Spot the only rally car in the photo gallery!
Chris Duffy, previous owner of YUK 145M at Pembury, then with black bonnet.
He rolled the car at the same event and venue in a later year (the next year?), with Tim Riley co-driving.
Debby & I bought the repaired car in 2001.

Hugh

Dave J

Club Member
The car in the far left of the picture was my first z bought from my step father who had bought it new. It was given the Samuri treatment and was my daily driver. It later became the second of my Hscc cars repainted in red white and blue EDD96K, I sold it to Peter Gregory who raced it in Hscc for years ,he sold it to Peter Newman who crashed it at a Silverstone meeting. I now have bought it back to be rebuilt.

rahail240

Well-Known Forum User
alan. what's the deal with the samuri legacy then?

is it simply that things are painted much prettier over time?

e.g i suppose like alot things way back then (me obviously too young and handsome to remember of course!;)) were done quite crudly.

or is there something on a bigger scale incorrect, in the history books, that a novice like myself has no idea on?? :confused:

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
what's the deal with the samuri legacy then?

Well, personally speaking - and this is my opinion, which may differ to those of others - I feel there's been very little in the way of pure fact written ( and talked ) about the subject since the very beginning of the story.

If you look back at the first magazine articles about 'FFA' and 'Big Sam', they read like 'advertorial' ( an advertisement disguised as editorial ) and it all looks a bit incestuous. The people writing the stories are sometimes involved in the story, so looking back it is a bit hard to separate fact from fiction.

This new samuri.eu site comes across to me as an extension to some of that original 'advertorial'. Reading through it, I feel like I'm being sold something. For sure I'm being sold a book ( and I'll bite the worm even though I know there's a hook through it ) but I'm not necessarily buying some of the opinion that's being presented as fact.

There's a good story there ( small outfit punches above weight, etc ) but for me it is a local story, and is part of a much bigger picture that hardly ever gets reported accurately. I find it curious that so many people are familiar with at least some of the Spike Anderson / Samuri Conversions story, but seem to know almost nothing about the story of how the S30-series Z even came into being and the names of the actual people behind it. I remember, for example, that the 'Classic Z Register' used to have ( still does? ) the names of Spike Anderson and 'Count' Albrecht Goertz in their list of Honorary Members. No mention of the people who designed and built the car that was, er, quite good to begin with. I am then asked to believe that "........The healthy Z scene in the UK is probably a direct result of SAMURI's pioneering days.", but I'm afraid this reads more like an advertising strapline than a statement of fact. I certainly can't relate it to my personal experience anyway......

Paint me as the miserable,cynical curmudgeon that I probably am ( :) ), but I believe there's room for debate on topics such as this. Up until quite recently it has almost seemed like an Emperor's New Clothes type situation, so a bit of an online natter might clear the air a little.

:)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
If someone wrote the another 'story', that of the S30 other than in the Anglo-Saxon world, perhaps we'd all be the wiser..........too easy to nail up those who digest what is presented to them - alternatively speaking, don't slag off pigs for eating swill whenit's all they're offered - they'd eat fillet mignon too - the question is - would they appreciate the difference....:D

The truth gradually filters through but each book and story needs to be looked at objectively eg: Le Mans !

Samuri was there - then, doing it and the Brits love an under-dog.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
If someone wrote the another 'story', that of the S30 other than in the Anglo-Saxon world, perhaps we'd all be the wiser..........too easy to nail up those who digest what is presented to them

Well, nobody wrote anything in English for me. I had to make it my business to try and find out what I wanted to know, and which I could easily see I wasn't being told. Once you get your nose around the door you can easily see that the story is a whole lot bigger than what you have been presented with.........

SeanDezart said:
- alternatively speaking, don't slag off pigs for eating swill whenit's all they're offered - they'd eat fillet mignon too - the question is - would they appreciate the difference....:D

I hesitate to join you in your analogy of "pigs", but I wonder if those "pigs" can imagine that Filet Mignon even exists before they go one step further and dream of eating it ( would that not be cannibalism anyway? ). That's the point here; It seems to me that many of the people who are avid fans of the Samuri Conversions story - as well as some of the key players in the story - have little or no interest in finding out about what was going on elsewhere, or even very much at all about the story behind the cars that the whole legend was pinned on. They can tell you what inlet and exhaust manifolds were used on a typical ( ha! ) 'Samuri' 240Z, but they could not tell you who actually designed the engine that they were fitted to. Now to me that seems somewhat upside down......

SeanDezart said:
Samuri was there - then, doing it and the Brits love an under-dog.

No denying that Samuri were 'there', and 'doing it' - but can we get that into a little bit of perspective, please? Much of the 'there' was happening years after it had already happened elsewhere. I'm not trying to belittle the achievements or make fun of the people involved, I'm just pointing out that - in the grand scheme of things - this was actually quite a lot smaller a story than it is sometimes painted as.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Well, nobody wrote anything in English for me. I had to make it my business to try and find out what I wanted to know, and which I could easily see I wasn't being told. Once you get your nose around the door you can easily see that the story is a whole lot bigger than what you have been presented with.........

Monsieur, you've been very fortunate, mixing business with pleasure and therefore having many opportunities to have doors opened for you - the langauge barrier has been less of an obstacle also.

I hesitate to join you in your analogy of "pigs", but I wonder if those "pigs" can imagine that Filet Mignon even exists before they go one step further and dream of eating it ( would that not be cannibalism anyway? ). That's the point here; It seems to me that many of the people who are avid fans of the Samuri Conversions story - as well as some of the key players in the story - have little or no interest in finding out about what was going on elsewhere, or even very much at all about the story behind the cars that the whole legend was pinned on. They can tell you what inlet and exhaust manifolds were used on a typical ( ha! ) 'Samuri' 240Z, but they could not tell you who actually designed the engine that they were fitted to. Now to me that seems somewhat upside down......

Why should 'they' be bothered with who designed the engine? A guy prepares a car because he sees potential in it, a potential big enough to exploit against the competition. Spike did his bit with what was in front of him and leart elsewhere - Nissan and certainly not Datsun UK helped not one jot.

BTW, chickens eat what's left of the Sunday roast chicken and pigs eat pork.

Actually, I think that most people DO have an interest but not your motivation. These people read and look at what is available. Also, on this site, points are argued, discussed and hopefully people go away having learnt something - even if that something is that they know a lot less than they thought and some facts have been rectified !

No denying that Samuri were 'there', and 'doing it' - but can we get that into a little bit of perspective, please? Much of the 'there' was happening years after it had already happened elsewhere. I'm not trying to belittle the achievements or make fun of the people involved, I'm just pointing out that - in the grand scheme of things - this was actually quite a lot smaller a story than it is sometimes painted as.

C'mon, you snipe every time that some history somewhere squeezes out from under the carpet.
It's clear and obvious that whatever happened outside of Japan was small stuff - even the US club racing (impressive record as it was) was not on the same scale or in the same league of importance to Nissan as what occurred on home turf. Nissan USA enjoyed it and flogged it for all it was worth - shame that other countries didn't exploit the cars further.

But there is someone who can enlighten the mass with his unearthings but that would remove the opportunities to pass comments such as those above. Why not share ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Anyway, let's stop quabbling - it gets nowhere (as it never has in the past).

If Peter Brock wrote a book about his Datsun Dayz, would we be criticising because he didn't quote how and who designed the engine for ex. ?

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
What's that saying that goes something like "History is according to who writes about it" ?
Meaning that whatever the truth of what really happened, we only know the version of someone who wrote about it at the time, with their personal viewpoint and values.
Because it is written in Black & White, we are conditioned to believe it as Gospel.

Anyway, back to the point, does anyone know if we are going to see in Paul Hardiman's book, the absolutely definitive list of Z's that are genuine Samuri's, or is this list still a figment of imagination ?