something wrong again

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
I hate to have to start another thread asking for help but no where else to turn. Well the Z seems to have picked up yet more ailments, two to be exact.

Firstly its having running trouble it starts and once I raise the rpm it dies it also sometimes coughs out a puff of smoke from the carbs but i know what that is i think, thats just my carbs need fiddling with. Also once in maybe every 10 starts it does this strange thing where I turn the key to start and it just cuts out all electrics just go lights,ignition the lot, and i have to take the neg battery terminal off and then back on and its fine anyone come across that before?

thanks in advance
Craig

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
Craig
On the battery issue, give the battery terminal and the earth lead clamp a rub with emery paper to clean up the mating surfaces. Then make sure it is well clamped onto the terminal. Also go to where the lead bolts onto the engine/gearbox, take it off and give the two mating surfaces a rub as well.

As to the carbs, are you running SUs or Webers?

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Craig
Yes sounds like you may have a faulty earth strap or bad connection.
As for the carbs Is it when it is cold?
And check the choke is working correctly sounds like not rich enough, or fuel starvation, mine does similar when I forget to use the choke.

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
where exactly will my earths be? I guess there will be one on the block somewhere and bulk head? its a '78 260z for reference. It's usually after its got to some sort of temp not a normal running temp though. it happens after i blip it to see how its running it sounds like its sucking loads of air in then dies and coughs out the smoke. Ah well I thought it was running rich but you think its lean? I may have to adjust them to be rich.

andrew muir

Club Member
What do your plugs look like when its been on a run?
I always hade coughing through the carbs when I had fuel starvation issues and poping at the back when was overrich due to unburnt fuel , but i may be wrong about this.
My 260z has similar symptoms when no choke is used to start, you may have a blockage in the fuel pipe as it goes into the float bowl, the little wire gauze can block up also check your fuel filter is not clogged up.:thumbs:

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
Right so now I've lost spark and that's why it's not firing. I've been advised by a mechanic that it could well be the transistor, are these available anywhere or refurbishment?

260Z TT

Club Member
Check your wires are secure into the spade terminals to coil. I had to trace an intermittant non-start on a 260z for someone and it ended up being a fractured wire into the connector. A simple fix if this is the case !

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
I don't think it's got a transistor.
did he mean condenser (capacitor)?
like this: Lucas Condenser for Datsun Nissan 240Z 1970-80 | eBay

No not the capacitor my car has a box underneath the coil I had it off and its by an old company called 'Mobelec' but they went bust in the 80's I dont know if this part is after market or what but even without the thing attached and how its displayed in the haynes it still wont fire its between the dizzy and this box thing.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Criag, the Mobelec box will be an after-market Electronic Ignition unit.

If you don't understand this stuff I would think it best to return the car to the standard ignition system and follow the manual for wiring, contact beaker adjustment and ignition timing. The manual should also help you then with troubleshooting.

Are you able to do this kind of work?

iandecjak

Club Member
Had identical power problem on my 280zx and found out the battery terminals were loose and not clamping correctly. Cleaned up all surfaces with emery and ensured clamp was effective - all has worked since ok.....

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
I'm still having trouble with this I decided to get a second opinion on it and got an Auto-electrician out and he said it traces to the distributor its had the points replaced to an electronic box i guess thats part of the Mobelec system(?) so now I either need points to replace the ****** dead box or a new system similar to the Pertronix systems I've seen can anyone advise where I can get said items?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
You can get points and condenser on ebay to prove the mobelec stuff is duff, then get Petronix/Aldon igniter from MrF.
Or get a 280zx dizzy....