Somerset Stages Rally

Hugh Myers

Well-Known Forum User
The last round of the BHRC is the Somerset Stages, based at the Beach Hotel, Minehead next Saturday, October 28th.

As it is the last round (and not in Wales!) there are only 33 Historics entered in the 3 categories.

It is the decider, however, for the Championship overall between Steve Smith/John Nichols in a Porsche 911 and Patrick Watts/Elgan Davies in the mighty Sunbeam Tiger.

We are the only 240Z although there is also a Violet and a 240RS in the "modern" two wheel drive section of the rally. Our class, C4 (Category 2 over 2000cc) is the biggest in the historic event with 5 entries, the other 4 being 911's.

We shall be pleased to see anyone who makes it down there. Start is at 7.30 in Minehead. There are 3 service breaks in Minehead with lots of tyre changes as we have 4 runs up the Porlock Toll Road as well as the forest stages on the edge of Exmoor. (spectator stages in Croydon Forest)

See www.somersetstagesrally.com for more info.

Cheers

Hugh

Same as me, if I'm free next weekend and the weather isn't horrendous I'll come say hello :)

down the road for us so we will try and come along and suppport you as well

Debby & I look forward to seeing anyone who can make it down there. Come and introduce yourselves! Hopefully we will not be too busy!

We have not had the Final Instructions yet but first Historic away (the Sunbeam Tiger driven by ex Touring Car Racer Patrick Watts. Great V8 noise!) is at 7.30 so we shall be starting about 8.00ish.

Spectators are welcome in Croydon Forest, I understand (there is some stuff on the website) with runs through from just after 8.00 and 13.00 (2 runs, the second time, they say).

Last year the Service Area was a big car park just back from the seafront by MacDonalds.

See you there!

Hugh

For those planning on being there to spectate, can I have pictures and details of the Datsun Violet that is running in this event please? In fact a contact of the driver would be most welcome:D :bow:

I now have the Finals.

The Datsun Violet is car 37 - driver Adrian Patten from Wareham, co-driver Danny Morgan from Weymouth.

The Nissan 240RS is Car 1 - Ian Roberton from Farnham & Kenny Roberts from Basingstoke - I think they were 2nd in the "modern" 2wd event last year.

We are car 219 amongst the Category 2 and Category 3 Historics which run together.

It looks as though the Cat 1 Historics will now start at 8.00 and reach Croydon stages about 9.00. There will apparently be a 30min gap between Cat 1 and the Cat 2/3 runners (10 or 15mins on most rallies!) so I would expect us to start about 9.00 and be in Croydon around 10.00. (not sure if Historics are there in the afternoon as that may be the Moderns - the afternoon stages for us have different names - I will try to look on the map to see where they are.

The car park by MacDonalds (Vulcan Road) will now be used on Friday pm and as a trailer park during the rally. The Service Area is the Market Traders Car Park which is between there and the Beach Hotel. There is no spare parking at the Beach Hotel or the Service Area so I would suggest parking in the Vulcan Rd car park or on the Seafront.

Historics should be finishing between 16.00 and 17.00 - the modern cars run after us.

Anyone coming to watch, please drive nicely! This is quite a "sensitive" area and there will be police and local busybodies everywhere!

Looking forward to it!

Hugh

OK, I have now looked at a map!

There are stages in the afternoon called "Bats Castle" which are also in the Croydon Hill area (2 runs through), so the info on the website is correct. Historics should get there about 13.00 for the first run.

Do not forget to allow plenty of time to park (where directed, of course!) and walk into the stage.

Hugh

Finished 10th Post Historic and 4th in class C4. Excellent event! Sad that it was poorly supported but this does happen with it being the final event of the Championship.

Neither of the Championship overall contenders finished (Steve Smith - Porsche 911 and Patrick Watts - Sunbeam Tiger) which makes Watts 2006 overall champion with co-driver Elgan Davies.

I have some photos of the Violet and the 240RS from the modern 2WD event and will post them. The guy with the Violet hopes to be competing in the Historic Championship next year with it. He also has a half prepared 240Z shell "in the roof of the garage".

Hugh

Well done again Hugh. Does that make you the most successful 240Z rally crew this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the British Championship, I suppose so!

Duncan Pearcey started two events and finished neither, as did Dominic Frattaroli in his new car!

We have started 5 rallies and finished 4! Not great results but we have had plenty of fun! Somerset, this weekend, was one of the best rallies we have done, and there was a great "end of season" party afterwards!

Great news!!

Best wishes for the next season!!!!! Hope to join you on a few more rounds next year.

Thanks, we look forward to seeing you too.

Here are some pics of the Violet GT on the Somerset 2WD Stages Rally

OK! Trying again :conf2:

Attachments

• Pict0258.jpg
    Pict0258.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Pict0259.jpg
    Pict0259.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Pict0260.jpg
    Pict0260.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Pict0261.jpg
    Pict0261.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Pict0262.jpg
    Pict0262.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 22
That's better!

Here are a couple of the 240RS. He retired quite early on. No idea why!

The Violet finished. The car was only finished just before the rally! It was rescued from a potential future of Banger Racing!

Attachments

• Pict0263.jpg
    Pict0263.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Pict0264.jpg
    Pict0264.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 20
Brilliant! I didn't make it Saturday, felt a bit worse for ware. However my mate did ring me up to say "Get down here to check out the sideways 240" :) Well done all.

Hugh,

As long as you still have fun withn it... so Hatari is joining you all next year???? Great!
I've here the perfect service car for you all...:santa:

Attachments

• datsun%20assistance.jpg
    datsun%20assistance.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 70
sorry we did not get there hugh but have both been laid up with the dreaded flu most of last week and weekend. Good to see that you finished well. What plans for the winter? cheers ben

Glad that you didn't bring us the flu! Hope you are both better now!

Plans for the winter?
What should happen - new shell, new 2.8 engine, new Nismo manifold and exhaust system, rewire entire car! That's about £25k worth so.......

What will happen - Rolling road for the engine to make sure it is properly set up for new DJ cam; gearbox rebuild, current one is rubbish and spare needs new 2nd gear synchro; general check over to see what is falling off or rattling! A few hundred should cover it! Welcome to the cheap seats!!

Out again next year - Robin Hood Stages 10-11th March 2007 - looking forward to it already!

Thanks for everyone's support.

Hugh

Hugh

Thanks a million for taking time out during the event to capture the pictures of the 240RS and the Violet.

The 240RS is one of my all time favourite cars and its always great to see a fantastic example,even better to hear the engine note from the 50mm Solex carbs

The Violet is a replica. For one moment, I was under the impression that someone had an ex works or factory prepared car. Its very fresh as you say , and has a FJ20 engine, which if done up well push out 200+bhp. It would look the part if they used the correct arches / grille etc, all which are availabe;)

This is the real deal

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/Amps2rd/087.jpg

Thanks once again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back