S31 (Denmark)

johnymd

Club Member
I had looked at that Sean and I think Matt got very excited about it. Looks to be a nice car but a long way to go to look at it. I've checked out one of the youtube videos about it and there is a mention of rust but not to what extent. I cant really work out what the car is as I know nothing about JDM car numbering ststems, only 240, 260, and 280. It looks too late to be a 240 but has the 240 type rear lights. The rest looks late 260/280 style.

Probably too much money for me to buy for myself and not sure if there would be much resale interest.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
John, it clearly states that it is an S31.

It is a factory RHD car and a genuine JDM car which amongst all the current JDM hype, I'd have thought it was ideal for the UK market...

Resale and profit ? I'd have thought so but why not a purchase by someone within the UK to KEEP - that would be original :) !

There are enough Danish Z fans known to go have alook at it as well.

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
I cant really work out what the car is as I know nothing about JDM car numbering ststems, only 240, 260, and 280. It looks too late to be a 240 but has the 240 type rear lights. The rest looks late 260/280 style.
Just to save you a tongue lashing from the font of all knowledge
fear.gif

albrecht said:
'S31' was updated S30-series Z to comply with new safety and anti-pollution regulations, and sold only in Japanese home market. Introduced July 1976, and discontinued in early September 1978 with the introduction of the S130-series range.

C-S31 sub-variants:

*S31-S 'Fairlady Z' ( 2-seater )
*S31 'Fairlady Z-L' ( 2 seater )
*S31-J 'Fairlady Z-T' ( 2 seater )

*GS31-S 'Fairlady Z' ( 2/2 seater )
*GS31 'Fairlady Z-L' ( 2/2 seater )
*GS31-J 'Fairlady Z-T' ( 2/2 seater )

All models came with L20 EGI engine. 'Fairlady Z' models were 4-speed trans only, whilst 'Z-L' and 'Z-T' models were 5-speed trans ( with Auto optional ).

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
So... at risk of tongue lashing, did the S31 revert to 240 style rear lights, or was that always the style in the Japanese market?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
So... at risk of tongue lashing, did the S31 revert to 240 style rear lights, or was that always the style in the Japanese market?

No. The car in question has been modified with a '69~'73 style rear panel and lighting arrangement.

Quite a common mod in Japan these days, with people wanting their late build cars to look like earlier builds.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
It's a much modified C-S31 Fairlady Z-L or Z-T 2-seater. Comparing it to a '260Z' (what year, what market model...?) might help you to make sense of it, but personally I think it's a mistake to think in those terms.

I always think modified cars like this would probably be better judged on a case-by-case basis, but it started life as a C-S31, had many parts unique to those particular Japanese market models and can't really be compared on a like-for-like basis to the various Export market models that were made alongside it.

Albrecht's radar says tread very carefully with cars like this anyway.... :unsure:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Albrecht's radar says tread very carefully with cars like this anyway.... :unsure:

Sorry, one of my pet hates of the moment :(:

Albrecht is radar or the radar belonging to Albrecht ?

And yes, a bitZa but with a reasonable price for the condition and equipment - L3.0 ?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator

And yes, a bitZa but with a reasonable price for the condition and equipment - L3.0 ?
It's a nice car either way I think.

The radar belonging to Albrecht is the clear meaning. There's lots of syntactic ambiguity in English, often cleared up by the context - as it was in this case :D
(btw the construct Albrechts' that I've seen you use is more wrong. It removes the ambiguity but it creates a semantically wrong sentence)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User

"Albrecht's radar" = Albrecht his radar. I won a prize for my English composition at school I'll have you know. It's all been downhill since then....

So, yes. My radar. My spidey senses. They smell ferrous oxide and wag. Caveat emptor.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
its ajdm model jpd japan danish firm did the work it is in east jutland this was his reply

Japanese market model, built/modified in Japan. Imported to Denmark as it stands with no work done in Denmark, as far as I'm aware.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
OK, "Albrecht's" is ambiguous because it could be an abbreviation of "Albrecht his" OR "Albrecht is". The context removes the ambiguity - "Albrecht is radar says..." is gibberish, so we know he meant "the radar of Albrecht says..."

Albrechts' is not ambiguous because it's a plural noun, and the plural form of the verb to be is 'are', and so you can't abbreviate "Albrechts are" to Albrechts'. Albrechts' radar is the radar belonging to Albrechts.
(the same construct is also used on singular nouns that end in 's', in which case I think the ambiguity may be possible again). Albrecht with his award may know more :)

But it is semantically wrong because the Albrecht in question is singular.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Albrecht with his award may know more :)

It's not complicated. No need to call Lynne Truss.

Simple possessive of a singular noun. Just add an apostrophy and an s.

Anybody got any observations, information or questions about the car?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Anybody got any observations, information or questions about the car?

Have you got some links to other info on it? you and others seem to suggest you've seen other info indicating some rust perhaps - would be good to read.

johnymd

Club Member
I mentioned the rust Jon and only because in the youtube video the guy mentions rust but doesn't elaborate. The car didn't seam right with the 240z rear lights on car that was clearly latter. Not saying there is a problem with the car but its probably not for me.