Roads to drive before you die...

Mr.F

Inactive
No.1

amazing-roads-7.jpg

Anyone got any more?

A970 Lerwick to Sumburgh in the shetland islands, I used to live there and it was a 27 mile run from my house to the town, used to be able to 'enjoy it in the wee hours in a very short space of time'

oooooooo another is from Stonehaven to Braemar then round to Loch Lomand in Scotland they are fantastic roads and last visit they had very few cameras if any, but I would always take my bike up there, tis the road for fast bikes.

Stelvio Pass (Northern Italy). 48 Hairpins in that bad mo-fo. I've been doing round-a-bouts again today (I'd already done going left and straight on but today it was going right too). Therefore, absolutely any road in the whole world for me is an adventure!

Down through Cheddar past the caves is always a great drive (avoiding mountain goats, falling rocks and tourists). Beautiful location too.

2. Tal-y-Bont to Nant-y-Moch Reservoir and on to Devil's Bridge, Dyfed, Mid Wales - just outside Tal-y-Bont find a gate on the main road, open and enter a rally style track along the hillside with views of old metal mines below. At the reservoir the road encircles the water for part then crosses the dam itself before meandering its way to Devil's Bridge.

Current web site description perhaps more accurate than my 1970s recollection:
At the Aberystwyth end of Talybont there are two "Lion" pubs set back from the A487. Take the road down the side of them.
Just out of Talybont take the left turn and head for Nant-y-moch reservoir and Ponterwyd.
Follow the road up a narrow green valley, then along its steep open sides and up in to woodlands.
Eventually you will emerge on the bleak and wild scenery around Nant-y-moch reservoir. Follow the road around the lake, over the dam and along to Ponterwyd passing Dinas reservoir on your right as you do so.
When you reach Ponterwyd you will come to the A44, turn left for Llangurig or right for Aberystwyth.

Not a fast road; probably not one for your Z, but a great experience nevertheless - and Devil's Bridge is a popular tourist spot with a challenging walk along the boiling river...

Last edited by a moderator:
2. Tal-y-Bont to Nant-y-Moch Reservoir and on to Devil's Bridge, Dyfed, Mid Wales - just outside Tal-y-Bont find a gate on the main road, open and enter a rally style track along the hillside with views of old metal mines below. At the reservoir the road encircles the water for part then crosses the dam itself before meandering its way to Devil's Bridge.
Not a fast road; probably not one for your Z, but a great experience nevertheless - and Devil's Bridge is a popular tourist spot with a challenging walk along the boiling river...

I went on a road trip randomly across wales and up to conwyn bay through the valleys. Truly amazing experience and i've never been able to find the road again since then

Another one nearly but not quite in Wales. On the way back from marshalling the Pk road rally in Bala (you try calling the roads there-take the next left sign posted to er er how the **** do you pronounce that :D) a mate who had been competing suggested we try out The Long Mynd which runs from Church Stretton just south of Shrewsbury.

We should have been suspicious when we passed the gate and sign with dire warnings about not using the road in poor conditions...

It is (or was) passable in a normal vehicle but you do need a very good head for heights. Apparently it's not so bad using it on a rally at night as you can't see the drops :eek:

The roads on the Isle of Skye are fantastic, the scenery is unbelievable. The last time I was there I did 400 miles on the island itself, ontop of the round trip from Reading.

oooooooo another is from Stonehaven to Braemar then round to Loch Lomand in Scotland they are fantastic roads and last visit they had very few cameras if any, but I would always take my bike up there, tis the road for fast bikes.

Have to agree with this and then A714 coast road to oban, on to Kyle of Lochalsh, round Loch Ness and down to perth via all the wee villages. You'll wanna fit some of the stuff in and around Pitlocherie as well. Mind you it's been along long time since I did all that (1988) in my 260z.... good times. Unfortunatly I can't say the same for anywhere here :(

Any without a speed camera, sleeping policeman, man-made chicanes etc etc, they really wind me up. I don't need to be told how fast to drive I use my training, judgment, experience and general responsible attitude.

Rant over, good thread - the Peak District is fantastic, many roads are sweeping, undulating and open (see through the bends). The road from the Cat and Fiddle pub to Macclesfield used to be a favourite.

Back