Road Trip to Wales

zman240uk

Club Member
I have just returned from a couple of days driving some cracking roads in Wales. Just wanted to share my highlights to prove that you dont have to go abroad to find great driving roads. Despite it being half term the majority of roads were pretty quiet and had lots of opportunity for overtaking when reqd.

EVO Triangle - North Wales, A543 and A5. Used by a well know performance car mag for many of their road tests. As you would expect its technical and challenging, a real test of brakes, handling and suspension. Uphill section (A543) has great visibility across open moorland, you can often see at least 2 corners ahead. Can be very bumpy in places, sometimes mid corner or in a heavy braking zone. Downhill section is through woodland so long range visibilty is not so good, but road is much smoother than on the way up. Avoid the linking A5 section (straight and dull), just keep u-turning at the ends of the 2 other sides of the triangle. Verdict - you can really push hard on the uphill section thanks to the great visibilty. Very challenging for car and driver, but brilliant fun

Aberystwyth to Llangurig. Mid Wales A44 - a bit dull at either end, but the middle section is great with some amazing scenery to boot. One section opens up into a valley and you can see the road and traffic for probably a couple of miles. Fast and flowing, did a lot of overtaking on this road (especially in the aforementioned valley). Verdict - a good road for a smooth and fast drive with some great scenery.

Brecon to Hirwaun, South Wales, A470 & A4059. The first section on the A470 can be busy as its a main road across the Brecon Beacons, but visibility is great so overtaking is made easy and scenery is fab. Turn off just after the reservoir onto the A4059 and its a whole different ballgame. The road flows over open, undulating moorland and is an absolute hoot to drive. I kept turning around and driving it over again. Just watch out for the free range sheep and the odd meandering tourist. Verdict - a real blast to drive, but only about 6 miles long.

Black Mountain Pass, South Wales, A4069. This was my last planned road for the weekend and it was the best. I can only describe this road as like driving an alpine tarmac rally stage. It was really that good!! A real mixture of straights and corners, with jawdropping scenery, especially on the north side of the pass. There is a 40mph speed limit (which I obviously adhered to at all times :rofl:), but Im not surprised because there are a lot of blind tight corners and hairpins with very steep drops. I drove over the pass about 6 times and it was an absolute blast.
Verdict - in terms of thrills and scenery you would be hard pressed to beat this road.

I drove lots of other roads over the weekend, but these were the ones that really stood out. I really lucked out with traffic, especially on the smaller roads where overtaking would have been tough.

Details of all the roads can be found here:
http://www.drivingforpleasure.co.uk/roads-and-tours/uk-roads.php

Now get out there and enjoy them:driving: (otherwise the Welsh Tourist Board dont pay me, lol...)

I love the Brecon to Hirwaun run, the scenery is wonderful and the road is great. I try to do that run and up around Talybont reservoir (another good road) with the kids when I visit my family in Tredega and Merthyr. I've yet to do that run in the ZX, just waiting for a sunny weekend to do it without the kids!

Know that road to Aberyrstwyth, did it many times from Gloucestershire when my Son was at the University. Lovely quiet road, fantastic scenery whatever the season.

Have you seen the Red Kites, always knew we were getting close when we saw them.

Andy.

I did see a bird of prey with a red tail flying very close to the road, so I assume that was one.
Its always hard when enjoying roads like this that you dont get a chance to really drink in the sights when on the move

The best thing about Wales is the roads. I've driven lots of them and also rallied on the roads and in the forests.

Those roads you mention Ken are main roads, I like the 'road rally' roads in the border country and around Welshpool. Down south around Newcastle Emlyn is classic road rally stuff too.

My problem is that whenever I'm in those areas I like to revisit the roads and my 370Z is not suitable - a rally Mitsubishi Evo would be good. I don't need to drive them fast just tour round, enjoy the remoteness, scenery and imagine attacking them at night on an event. I am mentally marking my maps at the same time - it never leaves you.:)

I'll try your roads next time.:thumbs:

Back