Registering a 240z with mismatched VIN numbers

Bunky

Club Member
Hi, I recently viewed a 1971 240z that had mismatched VIN numbers. The VIN on the bulkhead didn't match those on the removable plates in the door jamb and engine bay. The car was imported from the US in 2020 and doesn't have its US title, but has a NOVA and dating letter that reference the VIN on the bulkhead. It looks as though no work has been done on the car, it all looks as I would expect.

Would this make it impossible to register?

Can you put some pics off of the car? To make sure the numbers match the chassis design? I’d likely just walk away, if there’s any worry

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yeah, the dash one being different is sort of acceptable since they crack and get replaced but the door jamb and engine ones are very suspicious

Bunky

Club Member
Attached a few images below, let me know if you need more specifics. I rather naively forgot to note down the VIN on the bulkhead (I've asked the seller, just waiting for a response), I've included a picture of the VIN on the door jamb.

Thanks.

20230902_170406.jpg
s-l500.jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (2).jpg

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
If the NOVA matches the bulkhead VIN then you wont have an issue - very suspect though. Does it look as if its been welded around the bulkhead?

The rivets do not match each other on the door jamb so potentially been changed but looks dated still.

You can buy new door jamb and under bonnet plaques with whatever VIN you want.

Id ask the seller to register it before you buy it.

Bunky

Club Member
The bulkhead didn't look to be welded, all parts of the car have the same wear/paint etc.
In regards to registering it, the owner said it cannot be registered in it's current state as its not a complete car. From what I've found online this seems to be the case?

richiep

Club Member
That's at California Connection in Ashbourne; most of their cars are straight out junk yards in the US, so not surprising its missing it's title document. Although that usually is a deal breaker for anything other than a parts car or non-road registered race car project given the DVLA specifically require the US title/foreign registration document when applying for a V5C. RE: the dating letter, who provided it?

richiep

Club Member
US title doc isn't required when applying to register it Rich.
It’s on the DVLA’s list of required documents still, alongside the NOVA. It does say alternatives may be accepted - like a dating letter, but if they take issue, it could get messy.

That car is cheap, but no title could be a reason it’s been hanging around so long, plus the rust it’s been adding while sitting in a field in the Derbyshire Dales for three years! Given its state and extent of missing parts, it will be an expensive restoration; would one want to risk DVLA hassles on top?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Do you really want that car? I've been to California Connections, pretty rough cars tbh. The lady owner is a member on here.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If the NOVA matches the bulkhead VIN then you wont have an issue - very suspect though. Does it look as if its been welded around the bulkhead?

The rivets do not match each other on the door jamb so potentially been changed but looks dated still.

You can buy new door jamb and under bonnet plaques with whatever VIN you want.

Id ask the seller to register it before you buy it.
I've read that the DVLA are getting interested in the VIN plates and tightening up. I'll try to find the article. Basically they don't trust replacement VIN plates or even those removed for a respray and then returned!

Bunky

Club Member
Just heard from the owner. I've attached an image of the VIN on the bulkhead. Furthermore she's informed me that the NOVA is for the VIN on the plaques, not the one of the bulkhead. She also doesn't have the dating letter to hand, so would probably need to request a new one anyway.

So based on this, I can assume it wont be possible to register?

DS1.jpg

richiep

Club Member
I’d avoid under those circumstances. If the documentation had been based on the immovable stamp in the bulkhead sheet metal, that’s one thing; but on the removable tags, that has hassle written all over it.

richiep

Club Member
I've read that the DVLA are getting interested in the VIN plates and tightening up. I'll try to find the article. Basically they don't trust replacement VIN plates or even those removed for a respray and then returned!
That’s more of a problem for vehicles where the number isn’t physically stamped into the shell like it is on Zs.

The best approach to the DVLA in general is the absolute minimum interaction and don’t stick one’s head above the parapet asking them questions or volunteering information if avoidable!

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
You are asking for a world of pain buying that car. Aside from registration issues which are serious enough on their own to make it one to avoid, it's too far gone and missing parts too, just not worth restoring. You need a better base to work from, pay a bit more and get a better shell, not that easy I know these days as prices have shot up in the States and not many cars coming over now but you will thank me for the advice in the long run.

Just heard from the owner. I've attached an image of the VIN on the bulkhead. Furthermore she's informed me that the NOVA is for the VIN on the plaques, not the one of the bulkhead. She also doesn't have the dating letter to hand, so would probably need to request a new one anyway.

So based on this, I can assume it wont be possible to register?

View attachment 59485

if you look around you should see flashing lights and hear alarm bells. I'd totally avoid that car.

SacCyclone

Club Member
I see that this car has Cali plates on it.

If at any point in the past this car went to a wrecking yard in Cali or was removed off the street by the local Police, it will likely have a JUNK status on the VIN number.

If the car is in JUNK status in Cali, it means that it can NEVER be brought back current and no title will ever be issued in Cali. Other states can access that Cali JUNK status and prob won't issue a title for the car either.

I have been though this a couple of times with cars I was looking at and had to pass on them because there was just no way to get a title for them.

I am surprised it even made it out of the states w/o a title and different VIN #'s on the car TBH.

Mike