radiator recore costs

Had my heater matrix and radiator tested today.

Heater was fine(wooohooo).

Engine radiator has a couple of pin holes in the header, needs the core replacing.

I'm looking at £320 to have it replaced with a new copper core, spacing is about 10mm as apposed to std 16(something like that) so it'll make it about 15-20% more efficient than stock. Radiator would come back looking like new.

I think thats a sensible cost? I don't want to ring round and waste anyones time checking, so thought i'd ask here!? anyone done the same?

Hi, I recently had my rad re-cored for about that price too.

Its a little more expensive than modern radiators because of the copper/brass materials needed to match the rest of the rad.

Mine only had 2 bolts holding it to the car and so, vibrated the welds on the side/top causing a leak about 1.25 litres from the filler cap.

Hi, I recently had my rad re-cored for about that price too.

Its a little more expensive than modern radiators because of the copper/brass materials needed to match the rest of the rad.

Mine only had 2 bolts holding it to the car and so, vibrated the welds on the side/top causing a leak about 1.25 litres from the filler cap.

Cool. where did you get yours done. I do like the sound(well sight) of a stock looking radiator but with extra ability.

I bought one from Saccy that had been recored in the US. I need to repaint and fit it, and it’ll replace my Ali one on the car now, which isn’t that old from memory. I too, wanted a black rad.

Cool. where did you get yours done. I do like the sound(well sight) of a stock looking radiator but with extra ability.
I used a middle company called motor parts direct (as I am friends with the staff and get a good personal discount). I just phoned them up, and they used a company called Nissens

https://nissens.com/en-gb/automotive/radiators.aspx

Mine cost £320, which included a new radiator cap, they added a length of hose for the overflow, and included the shipping costs of sending it back and forth. So it could be cheaper to go direct with them?

Martin

I used a middle company called motor parts direct (as I am friends with the staff and get a good personal discount). I just phoned them up, and they used a company called Nissens

https://nissens.com/en-gb/automotive/radiators.aspx

Mine cost £320, which included a new radiator cap, they added a length of hose for the overflow, and included the shipping costs of sending it back and forth. So it could be cheaper to go direct with them?

Martin

Thanks, i've already given the go ahead, its sat with them already, local company so i get that 'warm' feeling!

Thanks, i've already given the go ahead, its sat with them already, local company so i get that 'warm' feeling!
Your not sat in warm coolant I trust? Lol

Good luck and update us all - I'll post pictures of my rad when I get home tonight and we can compare notes :)

Martin

Jason

A word of caution if you are re-coreing. You mentioned that you had some pinholes in your header tank. If that is the case it may be past the viability of putting a new core in. I had the same issue on mine and had pinholes fixed I was about to get a new core in it when the header completely let go. The guy in the radiator repair shop near Bristol said that the tanks rot from the inside out and the appearance of pinholes suggests the metal was thin hence the reason it let go. Luckily i didn't spend the money getting the core before it happened.

The advice is to get the tanks checked thoroughly before you spend yer money on the core.

Jason

A word of caution if you are re-coreing. You mentioned that you had some pinholes in your header tank. If that is the case it may be past the viability of putting a new core in. I had the same issue on mine and had pinholes fixed I was about to get a new core in it when the header completely let go. The guy in the radiator repair shop near Bristol said that the tanks rot from the inside out and the appearance of pinholes suggests the metal was thin hence the reason it let go. Luckily i didn't spend the money getting the core before it happened.

The advice is to get the tanks checked thoroughly before you spend yer money on the core.

they said it’s an easy fix that part..... their description said tiny split

Back