Quick rack

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
I'm going to be removing the front cross member soon to clean it up and to fit the poly bushes I've just bought, Is their a quick rack available for the 260Z ?.

I thought while I'm at it I might as well change the standard one if their is.

Rob

I think the late 260Z 2 seater rack is the "quickest" - for road use short steering knuckles may be the best bet.

Cut and pasted from an old old thread -

UK lock to lock 2.6 turns 260Z 2 seater,

3.1 turns 2+2 (except for rest of Europe where they are the same) and 15.8:1 ratio 2 seater vs. 18:1 ratio 2+2!

A 240Z is 2.7 turns lock to to lock and 17.8:1 ratio.

Fitting shorter steering knuckles to my 1978 car reduced the lock to 2.25 turns.

No Quaife to my knowledge.

I'm going to be removing the front cross member soon to clean it up and to fit the poly bushes I've just bought, Is their a quick rack available for the 260Z ?.

I thought while I'm at it I might as well change the standard one if their is.

Rob

When was the last time you drove a car without power steering?;)

got a pair of hardly used arizona z short billet alloy steering arms with built in bump steer spacers. going to list for sale shortly but pm me if you're interested
brian

Rob,
As the other Rob says, go with the shorter steering knuckles. Rob took me for a spin in his 260z with the short steering knuckles (way before the car went off the road) and Rob was only using about 1/2 a turning lock to drive along some country roads...sold me on fitting a set. A bit more of an effort at parking speed, but better for the twisty roads.

Also, if you keep to the original system, rather than some power (or assisted) steering you loose the feel of what the car is doing on the road...and since it is a car for driving......

Also, if you keep to the original system, rather than some power (or assisted) steering you loose the feel of what the car is doing on the road...and since it is a car for driving......

Sound advice Ian, Power steering is for poofs and woman anyway :driving::lol:.

I've been offered a new set of shorter knuckles for a reasonable fee so will take your advice ;), Thanks very much.

Rob

I second that power steering is for Poofs, we are too pampered now'a days with all the extras..
I enjoy the fight with my small steering wheel and 9 inch wide wheels lol

I second that power steering is for Poofs, we are too pampered now'a days with all the extras..
I enjoy the fight with my small steering wheel and 9 inch wide wheels lol

I remember back in the long distant past owning a very nice Rover 3500S which had no power steering, My first mod was to remove the bus wheel and replace it with this lovely little leather number, The only problem was parking the bl00dy thing :eek:, But it did teach me to only steer when the car was moving which made the job bearable at least.

My first Z had big 245 tyres on 15" wheels and I don't remember that being to bad at parking speeds, On the open road it was fantastic giving very good feed back through the wheels, I think you could actually feel every little stone on the road.

Rob

Absolute bollecks Ian - you obviously haven't tried a good set-up - again, pure speculation. Try it first - then comment !

Wyn - absolute lock to lock, in my garage without the engine running with one index finger - 2.3 turns.

I hasten to add that mine is an electrically operated hydraulic pump driving a ??? rack and pinion system and is speed progressive...with an on/off switch inside so I may choose when I have it on and off.

I should of added to my list of poofs and woman those people with bubble baths in their back gardens lol.

Rob

Strike another one off my Christmas list.:rolleyes:

Who're the poofs who judge something without trying it ? Don't imagine this feels like a wobbly ZX and anyone who's raced will know that anything that aids your concentration (ie doesn't distract or doesn't require extra effort) aids you go faster.

If I drive with it switched off - it acts EXACTLY like a standard steered 240Z, a bit tighter perhaps.

BTW, it's personal choice isn't it and respect for you guys that enjoy fighting the bump-steer and yanking the car through chicanes......but then it always was for standard bushes as against urethane, GDS and Janspeed exhausts against Nismos, 280ZX gearboxes against Silvia/200SXs, triple carbs as opposed to individual TBs.......dare I say K and Ns against airboxes..............

Last edited by a moderator:
Strike another one off my Christmas list.

Who're the poofs who judge something without trying it ? Don't imagine this feels like a wobbly ZX and anyone who's raced will know that anything that aids your concentration (ie doesn't distract or doesn't require extra effort) aids you go faster.

If I drive with it switched off - it acts EXACTLY

I'm not saying it's not a good system, I just want to try it with out first plus I don't really want all the expense and hassle of fitting as PS system at the moment, I'm not saying I wont look at it again in the future especially as my wife wants to drive the Z as well when it's finished. But for now I prefer the manly option :D.

Rob

Back