Powder coat, POR15 or Epoxy Mastic?

toopy

Club Member
For suspension, cross member, steering rack, roll bars etc

Ive read on some other car forums that powder coating doesnt seem to be as popular now, with many people preferring to use Epoxy mastic or similar

I used some POR15 on my fuel rail about 4years ago and it still looks great, but what's peoples thoughts, which would you use?

I intend to drop out most of the suspension much later in the year to titivate everything, as whatever 4ways used 15years ago is showing quite a lot of surface rust, but I cant decide on what to go for!

uk66fastback

Club Member
I'd have said powder coating every time and I'd not heard of epoxy mastic, which I presume is one up from plain ol' epoxy ...

Just reading a bit more on rust.co.uk - at least it allows for home application as opposed to PC. POR15 was for going over rust I thought, not clean metal.

If you are dropping it later in the year I'd wait and powder coat the lot.

I did a test bit on my suspension parts, the problem with powder coating is that it can chip with associated problems. The bit I used POR15 on was rock hard and even with a hammer didn't chip as such.

A good epoxy would do a good job I think. Powder coating is nice and easy though.

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
I'd have said powder coating every time and I'd not heard of epoxy mastic, which I presume is one up from plain ol' epoxy ...

Just reading a bit more on rust.co.uk - at least it allows for home application as opposed to PC. POR15 was for going over rust I thought, not clean metal.

If you are dropping it later in the year I'd wait and powder coat the lot.

As long as you treat clean metal with the POR15 metal prep it's OK.
I use POR15 as it goes on nice with a brush seems to stop rust and protect and it's easily doable at home.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Another thumbs up for POR, if applied well it's very tough. Powder coating if chipped allows water underneath and starts to lift. I did my landrover chassis with PPG Amercoat marine paints, with the correct high build primer it's indestructible and only needs a hosepipe across it to come up like new.

toopy

Club Member
I did a test bit on my suspension parts, the problem with powder coating is that it can chip with associated problems.

Yes, this is exactly what i have read elsewhere, it gives a great finish, but if it does get damaged, and underneath the car that's highly likely, it flakes off as rust takes hold.

At least with the epoxy or POR15 you can repair/touch up as required

Huw

Club Member
Usually dip remove the rust and use a a good zinc rich primer and finish with Eastwood's Extreme Chassis black - its epoxy based. POR 15 Rust Preventative paint is good if you can't get all the rust off, but needs a coat of POR Top Coat as its not UV stable so will deteriorate over time.

I got the suspension for my 280ZX powder coated this time to save time. The guy who did it for me yellow zinc plated all the components first as the process removes the rust and provides a good substrate for the powder coating so if it does chip there is still protection for the steel underneath.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I have had one of my cars suspension powder coated but as people have said when it gets damaged it can flake and rust gets under it so my last car i had everything blasted and then used epoxy primer finished with 2K black gloss that way if it does get damaged it will just chip of.

Last edited by a moderator:

uk66fastback

Club Member
We had an outside light that was powder coated from new and I noticed recently the paint had lifted and was coming off in a strip ... but it's been outside in all weathers since 1998!

I think powder coating suspension components that might see rain a few times a year will be fine if you choose to go that route. It looks really good as well ...

toopy

Club Member
I think powder coating suspension components that might see rain a few times a year will be fine if you choose to go that route. It looks really good as well ...

That's a fair point actually, i think my car was used in the wet only twice last year! that said, any damage that does occur will still be subject to heat cycling and condensation.