Oil filter connections

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Oil cooler connections

I bought a 10 row oil cooler from the Autosport show (£25) with 1/2" BSP thread size. I have a 280ZX oil filter 'sandwich plate' that I could use for the 'send' and 'return' pipes. Does anybody know what the thread size is for these connections on the 280, I can then get some pipes made up.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you mean the thing that has right angle in it?and then the filter sits on top.

tried to get my oil filter off but it is very tight,but i am going to buy a new one so i will measure that one.is a ten row oil cooler going to be big enough as my demon tweeks mag says that is the smallest for a engine under 2litres?

Moggy, it's the pipe connection thread spec I need not the filter thread. I was expecting a reply from Mike F. but he must be out of the country! As far as cooler size is concerned, I don't have one at all at the moment so increased volume of oil and additional cooling will do fine thanks. Also oil can be too cool.

i have just realised which part you are talking about and is different to mine. sorry!!!!!!!!

Rob - there are a variety of alternatives to use with oil coolers and sandwich plates, so it is hard to know which you actually have. I supply complete oil cooler kits which consist of thermostatic sandwich plate (so the oil doesn't get too cool as you say), male adapters which are 1/2" BSP, suitable 400 series Aeroquip hose and suitable adapters for the cooler and adapter threads. Coolers can be had with 1/2" BSP, 3/4"-16 JIC,1/2" NPTF or M16 x 1.5 connectors....

My best guess is that you will need to adapt into 1/2" BSP threads - e.g. with male-male adapters to the hose fitting of your choice. This will be either push-in for plain oil hose or some sort of compression fitting for braided hose. I can source all or any of this for you as required...

Not a holiday, just no easy answer...:)

Thanks Mike and I will contact you if I can't get anything locally.

I may not have explained myself clearly but all I need to know at the moment is the standard thread size of the cooler pipe fittings on the 280ZX sandwich plate. They are slightly smaller than the aftermarket cooler (1/2 BSP) and a finer thread.

In fact secondhand female fittings might do. When I got this spare 280 engine the pipes had been cut and I think I threw them away (another lesson learnt).

slightly smaller than the aftermarket cooler (1/2 BSP) and a finer thread
If metric and some sort of OEM Nissan, then I'm guessing 16 x 1.25 - they like to use the finer metric threads to make it hard to find local supplies!

I'm confused, however, as no UK 280ZXs had an engine oil cooler fitted as standard - this was an L28 turbo item only as far as I am aware. Is this what you have? Rare item in the UK if so...

OK, no wonder there is confusion, it's certainly not a turbo! I'll get one of my kids to take a picture of the 'plate' with their camera-phones so you can see it. I just assumed all 280's had coolers. Thanks for the offer Nigel, so what are your pipes off then?

Janspeed used U.K. sourced parts to add an oil cooler along with their turbo mods. All parts for this cooler system should still be readily available. They probably didn't use the Oilstat type thermostatic take-off plate though...

This is the 'sandwich plate' I removed from my spare 280ZX engine. I can't see any part numbers, is it a Nissan item? As I said previously, not knowing 280's very well I assummed it was a standard fitting and thought someone would know the thread spec. of the pipe connections.

Going by the picture on page 97 of the "How To Modify Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine" thats a Nissan Motorsports oil filter adapter

Tim

Looking at the picture, I have to agree - well spotted! Quite a rare item in the UK I would have thought and maybe a relic of a dry sump system elsewhere. The text suggests that the fittings are -10 JIC/AN. If so, then actual external diameter of the threads will be 22mm and JIC fittings will be readily available either to run 100 series braided hose and compression fittings or to convert to push fitting to run normal oil hose.

I broke a LHD Euro spec 280ZX a few years ago which had that filterhousing on it and a little oil cooler too. It all looked factory fit as I recall. So maybe Euro spec had oil cooler when UK didnt???

Digs out old unused Euro S130 fiche and, what do you know, the whole system is illustrated, pipes and all! No prices on the U.K. price fiche though, but I expect Amsterdam have stock. Sadly, Nissan's oil cooler prices are so extreme it wouldn't be worth pursuing. No thread data given, but no surprise there.

Thanks a lot guys, all good info. and hopefully interesting to others too. The fitting has a pressure relief/bypass valve in it (in case filter is blocked?). I went to AP Racing (Coventry) today on my way to work, but they couldn't help with connections. There's no rush and I would like to use it if I can so will keep searching for fittings, as you can imagine there are lots of automotive/racing firms around this part of the world.

Back