No petrol, diesel or hybrid cars to be sold from 2035

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Is this realistic?

15 years is not a long time to make a huge change to infrastructure like this. I just can't see it being achieved. It is that long since the London bombings.

I think it would be far more realistic to introduce 'real world' mpg figures and for fuel to be rationed.

Surely it's not right to be limited to efficient light bulbs, vacuum cleaners, central heating boilers etc but you can still buy whatever car you like e.g. 6.3 ltr Merc. !

Also people need to think before they drive. I went to Congleton on Sunday to visit my Mother-in-Law but that is a journey of 160 miles, surely that isn't right? My car was running for at least 4 hours, just imagine parking it in an industrial unit and running it for 4 hours - the amount of gas would be amazing. If it was coloured we might feel differently about it. If fuel was rationed we would all think hard before driving and also we would live closer to family and work closer to home - when I was a kid most families lived within 10 miles of each other and worked in their home town.

Finally how will it affect classic car ownership? If we are still allowed to drive them we will be outcast like smokers. We may be seen as polluting joyriders.

Last edited:
How powerful is the car industry? It still amazes me that anyone is allowed to buy a car or motorbike that can do over 150mph now or has an engine the size of a lorry. Just picking a figure out of the air, should all vehicles be limited to the national speed limit? Having owned an Outlander and never ever got past one third of the claimed mpg figures I can't understand how the claims can be allowed to stand, they have nothing to do with reality.

By 2035 to me is a political sound bite, nothing more. I think the government are seeing the Greta effect coming and trying to jump on it. By 2035 the kids of today will be the purchasing force in transport and will have changed the market with their buying habits. If you still have a Z you may well be doing an electric conversion on it (if you want your kids/grandkids to speak to you!)

aren't cows polluting more than cars?

"Agriculture is responsible for an estimated 14 percent of the world's greenhouse gases. A significant portion of these emissions come from methane, which, in terms of its contribution to global warming, is 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide. The U.S. Food and Agriculture Organization says that agricultural methane output could increase by 60 percent by 2030 [Source: Times Online]. The world's 1.5 billion cows and billions of other grazing animals emit dozens of polluting gases, including lots of methane. Two-thirds of all ammonia comes from cows."

So if we all go veggie we can drive petrol cars

I wonder how many on here have first hand experience of driving an electric car on a daily basis? The BIK went too high to justify last year and I took the leap of faith to switch my company car to an electric car as my daily as I pretty much just use it commuting to and from work. I work for a dealer network so it makes sense for me, we have points in work for charging so its not much hassle for me to charge. However, the government must radically rethink it’s investment in the network if they are to convert the masses to electric vehicles. If we are to all go electric in 15 years then there has to be a huge step change. On the plus side I absolutely love EVs in the real world, petrol should be reserved for recreation.

Please don’t ration me...

D98166F7-3BBA-45DC-9BFF-CDF6C9B6869D.jpeg

no car has ever given me as much enjoyment as my 63

91573FDF-FF4D-44C5-AF8B-532B94214FC8.jpeg

I do however love EV’s too..!

Petrol is a profitable by-product of the oil refining process. Oil will continue to be refined and petrol will continue to be produced as a result. The increase in electric vehicles will no doubt reduce the demand for petrol. This will have a number of possible effects including reduced supply as filling stations react to reduced demand. It may also result in reduced prices to encourage sales. In my Utopia of the future continued production + less demand + reduced prices = petrol will last longer (less demand), I will get to drive my old cars more (further between petrol stations) and I will spend less per gallon (reduced prices)- sounds like heaven!

Love the C63 and that’s what will be genuinely sad when manufacturers can no longer produce vehicles with engines like that, one could argue that’s already the case though.

Love the C63 and that’s what will be genuinely sad when manufacturers can no longer produce vehicles with engines like that, one could argue that’s already the case though.

It definitely has - the 4.0T engine in the new one Merc's is a great engine but no replacement for the 6.2 M156.

It's not as if petrol/diesel/hybrid cars are going to be banned off our roads by 2035 - just no new ones being sold in the UK (if BJ and the Gov. get it through legislation). There will be plenty still around in 30-40 years time I reckon (long past when I'm gone!). What will happen with fuel prices and taxes in anyone's guess though!

I remain deeply sceptical about this; I was with the 2040 deadline, so the 2035 one just seems like more soundbite points scoring. I have no faith that the requisite charging network, never mind power generation and delivery infrastructure will be anywhere near in place to facilitate this. Even if EV tech and availability is there by that time. Look at the history this country has with major infrastructure projects, regardless of which flavour of government is in power.

I’m all for EVs; just not at the expense of practical reality (or anything that shafts my primary chosen hobby, tbh!).

I wouldn't joke about going veggie....................... It is the future. Long way off but it's coming :eek:

Is this realistic?

15 years is not a long time to make a huge change to infrastructure like this. I just can't see it being achieved. It is that long since the London bombings.

I think it would be far more realistic to introduce 'real world' mpg figures and for fuel to be rationed.

Surely it's not right to be limited to efficient light bulbs, vacuum cleaners, central heating boilers etc but you can still buy whatever car you like e.g. 6.3 ltr Merc. !

Also people need to think before they drive. I went to Congleton on Sunday to visit my Mother-in-Law but that is a journey of 160 miles, surely that isn't right? My car was running for at least 4 hours, just imagine parking it in an industrial unit and running it for 4 hours - the amount of gas would be amazing. If it was coloured we might feel differently about it. If fuel was rationed we would all think hard before driving and also we would live closer to family and work closer to home - when I was a kid most families lived within 10 miles of each other and worked in their home town.

Finally how will it affect classic car ownership? If we are still allowed to drive them we will be outcast like smokers. We may be seen as polluting joyriders.

Where have you seen this Rob?
The last I heard it was 2040, that no pure fossil fuel cars could be sold?

with all this talk about us all having to drive electric cars my question is, in the planet is there enough raw material to make batterys for ever and ever ? If we want to save the planet we need to
1 stop driving and us public transport
2 live local to work and family
3 be a vegan
4 never go on a long distance holiday ever (range of nissan leaf will not get you to Singapore and back in a two week )
5 be prepaired to pay a lot more tax as the goverment will not be making 60% tax on fuel so will transfer it to your electric bill it run your one nissan leaf
6 have nothing to spend your money on apart from vegan sausage roll
7 buy a horse and cart
8 go back to pre industrial revolution
if you can think of any more we may but this direct to the goverment ,but the only good news is that if all this change fully happens i will be DEAD. so no longer a tax payer ,thank god we have invented the push bike Chris

with all this talk about us all having to drive electric cars my question is, in the planet is there enough raw material to make batterys for ever and ever ? If we want to save the planet we need to
1 stop driving and us public transport
2 live local to work and family
3 be a vegan
4 never go on a long distance holiday ever (range of nissan leaf will not get you to Singapore and back in a two week )
5 be prepaired to pay a lot more tax as the goverment will not be making 60% tax on fuel so will transfer it to your electric bill it run your one nissan leaf
6 have nothing to spend your money on apart from vegan sausage roll
7 buy a horse and cart
8 go back to pre industrial revolution
if you can think of any more we may but this direct to the goverment ,but the only good news is that if all this change fully happens i will be DEAD. so no longer a tax payer ,thank god we have invented the push bike Chris

A couple of small points:

I think I've read that the lack of raw materials is ALREADY hampering the R&D for batteries
Lack of affordable public transport is a disgrace in the UK - so far behind many other European countries
I think tax on gasoline is closer to 84-86% ? with tax on diesel not far behind that..

Friends of the Earth came out many many years ago stating that the vehicle manufacturing process creates more environmental damage than the car itself ever will. Therefore, stop building new cars and make the ones we have last longer and keep them maintained to run as efficiently as possible.

Business, economics and politics will never let that happen of course. But I'm doing my bit by keeping old cars on the road, my newest car is 14years old, which is still too new really.

if we have fully synphetic oil why not petrol ,ban diesel now . in the war the German made petrol out off coal could this 70 year old tech help make new fuel . but the main thing which comes to mind is that the very rich have got millions of pounds in the motor industry and they like there classic cars so can i buy a F40 for £30000 in 2080 as it will only be a work of art . the future bright the future Greta

Back