New to the Forum

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

I thought it was about time that I introduced myself and my car to the forum.

My car is a 1978 registered 260Z coupe in 306 silver metallic. From what I can work out, the car was built around October 1977, so it has the revised interior trim fitted from new. I have had the car from 2001 (so apologies for the delay in posting) and am the third owner from new. The car appears, from my limited knowledge of the 260Z, to be stock, even down to the Hitachi flat top carburettors, which is the main reason for an "advisory notice" at each MOT when it was on the road! The car is on SORN at present, mainly due to a young family (although brake pipes look a little suspect too), but I hope to get it back on the road this summer (as long as the weather improves over summer last).

As for me, I live near Tonbridge, Kent, with my wife and two children; and work in London.

I will try and post up some more car pictures as soon as I have grasped the wonders of the modern technological age (or at least learned to type using more than one finger at a time).

Regards.

datsun dave

Club Member
Hi and welcome A2Z

Nice to see a clean standard 260z with the original wheels

When did you last have it on the road ?.

Wyn

Club Member
Hi m8y and welcome :thumbs:
Enjoy the stay, but get that car sorted b4 you get too comfy :D

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi there and thanks for the great welcome,

Thanks for the positive comments about the car. The car is standard as much as I can tell, but I know the rear deck carpet has been replaced at some stage (the office grade grey shade of "Contract" pile gave that one away). Also, not being party to this forum at the time, I bought a few NOS 240Z parts when I first got the car, thinking that the 240Z and 260Z were virtually identical, in Europe at least (I wish I hadn't waited two years before I got a fiche) - anyway lesson now learnt on that one!

The car is sitting on its factory wheels, which I personally like ('though I know they're not to everyone's taste). Technically, the car was last on the road when I moved house in August 2005 (truth is that the car was towed, so only the front wheels were actually on the road itself). Aside from that, 900ss, you are right that I do need to get the car sorted before too long and get along to some SEKZ meets (the A127 is a great road in a Z - except when I try to brake)!

Anyway, I will see if I can get the car out of its hibernation tomorrow for a few current photographs.

Regards.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
a good looking car !!!!!!! i think silver is one of the best colours for a Zed.

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
260Z out of hibernation.....nearly!

Thanks moggy 240 for the comments.

Well, as promised in my earlier post, I decided to take the car out of its Carcoon to start it up, move it onto the drive and take a few "current" photographs. After moving all the accumulated debris from around the car, breaking the zip on the Carcoon, then spending the next half-hour repairing it, I opened the bonnet. I took out the sparkplugs turned the engine over by hand slowly, put the plugs back and then decided to start it for the first time in around twelve months. Turned the key and...........the battery was dead!! I must have loosened the charger at some stage, because the battery was completely dead and didn't even click the starter. Anyway, something to look forward to next weekend, I suppose. Still, in the process I managed to undertake a reasonable Spring clean of the garage, so at least next time I won't have to spend half a day trying to get into the car.

bbpete

Active Forum User
Hi A2Z & welcome

Must have driven right on past you today on my way from Hastings to the SEKZ meet at The Halfway House. Could have got you out of clearing up the garage!

The weather in Essex was much better that in Kent - clear bright blue skies and sunshine.

Good luck with getting the 260 up and running. :D

Wyn

Club Member
..........the battery was dead!! I must have loosened the charger at some stage

Something out of Some Mothers
Lol I can imaging the scene now
Car sat in the carcoon for 12 mths with the battery slowly bubbling away givin off hydrogen gas filling the carcoon like a big baloon :unsure:
Open the zip flick the key and …. Booom :eek:

Stood there with a key in your hand and frizzy hair :D

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
bbpete, you probably drove right past my house on the way to the SEKZ meet today if you came up via the A21. Had to miss the meet due to looking after my youngest son, whist the eldest, 5, was off partying.

I suppose I was lucky not to have been blown sky high. However, as luck would have it (in one way), I think a mouse must have got into my previous garage and for some reason bitten a hole in the Carcoon, so it leaks a bit anyway - hence no exposion! Anyway, just off now to make sure the garage is well ventilated.

Mr.G

Club Member
First off, a big welcome to the forum.

Batterys will die if left on a vehicle which is not going to be started for a long period of time. I usually disconnect my battery completely if my Z will sit for a while. Another alternative is to purchase a trickle charger, which monitors the battery's condition and feeds it more power when its energy levels drop.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Hi A2Z,
Very nice standard car. Good to see someone still running on flat tops. I intend to run my long term project of flat tops...boat anchors people cry about these carbs, but if you are prepared to put the time/research like I have, there is no reason why they should not work great.

Cheers
Ian

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

Regarding the battery charging issue, the Carcoon is fitted with a trickle charger, but the lead must have become disconnected at some stage (probably did it myself trying to negotiate around all the bits and pieces piled around the car) and I did not notice the red non-charge light was on. The battery is the same one that was in the car when I bought it back in May 2001, so that seems to be good service. Mind you, as the car hasn't been started for a year, I suppose the clock is the only battery load anyway!

I am not sure the car could be described as A1 condition, but it does look tidy from a few feet away, squinting. To be truthful, if you zoom up the gallery photographs to "supersize", there are a few imperfections to the leading edge of the rear quarter panels; and to the rear valance, but very treatable. The last time the car was MOT'd, I was told the inner cills were not in the best condition at the rear, so I will have to get some of these at some point - are they still available new?

Ian, I am glad to hear that you will be running you long-term project on "flat tops", as I though I was about the only person who had not changed them for the early 240Z setup, not that there is anything wrong in that. That is the brilliant thing about the Z, whether they be standard or modified they are a phenomenal car. I happened to come across a US website that did actually state the "flat tops" were only good for "boat anchors", but I am assuming the US setup is strangled by emission control gear and they are not identical to European versions. The "flat tops" on my car do have a flat spot, I seem to remember, but at the moment the car has four year old petrol (or is it now gum) in it, so that probably doesn't enhance the carb's performance! I will get the carburettors refurbished or if still available new, perhaps renewed like-for-like.

Like you say, Ian, I am assuming that the standard "flat tops" can be effectively tuned to get through a current MOT with no problems. I know there is a different emissions test for cars used on or after 1st August 1975, but as the late 260Z (like mine) essentially has the same engine as on cars built significantly before this date, has anyone tried to argue that it may not need anything other than a visual emissions test? I need to learn a bit more about the "flat tops", I think, but they are definitely staying on the car!

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
my 2ltr fairlady drove spot-on from southampton to lincolnshire with flat top carbs !!! but the auto gearbox was clunky going through the gears at speed.
if it is not broken do not try and fix it .......... as they say

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
moggy 240, I had a look in your gallery, but am confusted which car is the 2.0 litre Fairlady. Is it the blue car with the JDM mirrors and grille?

I should adopt that "if it's not broken do not try and fix it" attitude. I remember my first car, a 1990 Bluebird, that I never did a thing to, including servicing and that always sailed through MOT's no problem, so much so that I kept it for fourteen years!

moggy240

Staff member
Club Member
A2Z you are not confuesd....its is the blue car with the JDM mirrors a FAIRLADY Z .japanese domestic market version only as cars over 2000cc were taxed more in japan

Arkwright

Inactive
Hi A2Z, welcome to the forum . Sorry I'm late as usual. Don't forget the Club Shop has lots of bitz & bobz that may be useful.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Hi A2Z,
Glad to hear you intend to keep on using the flat tops. if you want, give me a shout and I can hopefully help you with these.
The US had an "early" flat top carb. on their 1973 model year cars, which are bad. These were revised for the '74 model year car, the early 260 which was a better carb than its '73 one. The carb we got in the UK and the US ('74 260z) one are the same (I managed to pick up a very little used set from the US) and there is no difference. What happened as the Nissan US (I think) kept coming up with modications to overcome the problems. I have spoken to someone in hot southern California ran flat tops with no problem, there is followers of the flat tops in Japan who use these carbs without problems. The key is set-up...anyway these carbs are not available new, and parts are hard to find, as the dealers dumped the parts. There is a few parts available, but as I said, give us a shout.

Cheers
Ian

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Derek, thanks for the welcome,

Can I get Nectar points with any purchases made from the Z Club shop, or are they only available with crisps from Sainsburys? There is some excellent merchandise for sale, so I'll sort something out shortly. I think getting a T-shirt is a bit optimistic at the moment, though.

Ian,

Thank you for your words of encouragement with my decision to retain the "flat tops" and your knowledge on these units. I saw a NOS late "flat top" on Ebay.com about a year ago (still have the photograph as a reference somewhere), but because the Nissan part number was different from the UK version, I did not buy it. I think it was around $400 at the time. I am intrigued that you feel the late US carburettors and UK versions are the same, as they have different part numbers. I have looked at the RHD parts book and compared it to the US version (for late "flat tops") and it appears the jet needles are different (part 16354-N3310 and 16354-N3500, respectively). Australia, has the same jet needle version as the US, by the way. I am not sure how this would affect performance, or whether simply changing the jet would ensure the units were the same, or if the needle seat would have to be renewed as well.

I did hear from someone in the US that dealers in the UK and the US literally dumped parts for early Datsuns. It is not restricted just to "flat top" carburettors, but all sorts of items, such as body panels and the like.

I notice your "260Z for long-term restoration", which I assume is the yellow coupe in your gallery, was registered in 1980, which is quite late considering the 280ZX was introduced in 1978. That must have been about the last 260Z registered in the UK. Not sure if my car has any claim to fame like that, but I would love to trace its history. I know it was purchased new in September 1978 from Bishops Datsun in Brighton (it still has the original front numberplate). Does anyone else have a car that comes from Bishops?

Arkwright

Inactive
what are nectar points?:D

We reputedly drive old cars and are therefore old fogeys:devil:

I do still have a few S&H stamps:p