Laugh or cry

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
imagine my suprise when I open a recent pm ony to find that it was an official request to delete my offensive signature......the sender clearly thinking that it was aimed directly at them.

Well sorry to tell you but the phrase "its hard for thee to kick against the pricks" is a 2000 year old biblical phase used in referance to Saul

Its derived from a common practice of using a sharpened stick, thorn or "prick" to goad or spur an oxen when ploughing or pulling a cart. The meaning of the phrase can be interpreted in many ways, my own choice is that life puts barriers in our way sometimes painfull ones and its hard to continue striving against them.

The line is also used in a Johnny Cash song (when the man comes around) those that really know me well will know that I am a big fan of the man in black, plus this song was used in the film "the Hunted" staring Tommy Lee Jones who I equally admire, the line struck such a chord with me that I had it embroidered on my seat backs in the Datsun several years ago (I could post pictures but I have already been accused of having too much privilege on the forum which incidentally is due to the fact I am a moderator of the technical section)

Anyway onto the other complaint, my use of the phrase "Ex Member 111"
Well sorry to disappoint but it was meant to reflect the fact that I had been an active member of the club and not to incite other to leave.

Will I delete my signature, no I don't think so, at the very least its tantamount to religious persecution the fact I can't use a verse from the Bible

And to those paranoid enough to have thought I was referring to them as pr**ks..........certainly not, in fact your the complete opposite:bow:

Seems very silly, maybe some of the ones that take up half my screen should go instead!

Speaking of PM's, would you be accepting a PM with some L24 questions in the near future? :)

mark240z

Well-Known Forum User
I'm a paid up member and to be honest I don't really know what I benefit from by doing this but I pay anyway, and all I've read resently is people complaining about the site? What is the issue of writhing a swear word ??? I swear all the time so what's the problem ?????

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Membership Rob Gaskin

Total ‘paid-up’ membership decreased from 308 to 269. The decrease appears to be evenly spread across models. We have no hard facts to support any specific reasons for this decline; we need to get feedback from the previous, present and website membership to understand the trend.
Well it doesnt look like an instruction to remove a biblical phrase from his signature is going to tempt ex paid member Skiddell back to the fold does it??
Quod Erat Demonstrandum

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
?????????????

authorised pah!
"It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks" Acts 9:5 damn royalists ,lol . Eh not creeping or anything but i totally understood your phrase and made a subtle reference/jibe to it as in( authorised version) being another reference to the king james version hence the royalist jibe and such,twas in the holley conversion thread.Bug all wrong with that phrase. No idea why my typings small.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Well it doesnt look like an instruction to remove a biblical phrase from his signature is going to tempt ex paid member Skiddell back to the fold does it??
Quod Erat Demonstrandum

And what can tempt YOU to become an old ex member - no reference to members, tools, sharpened sticks or skcirps for the dyslexic ?

I think it's offensive enough to admit being a Johnny Cash fan.....

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ok, just got in from playing badminton and seen that a PM of mine to a person who I considered to be a friend is being discussed on the Forum.

If we are discussing this in the open then this is what I sent to Steve:

Steve, I noticed this the other day:

"It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks" Acts 9:5

Ex member 111

Why are you declaring that you are an Ex member?

I interpret that as a kick against me and other Committee Members. Please can you remove both parts.

Obviously I would prefer that you rejoined and as a mate who I have spent many happy hours with it upsets me to think that you feel compelled to post such comments. In fact you encouraged me to join the Committee.

Regards, Rob

There was a little bit more which mentioned that a fellow Committee member agreed with my interpretation - I have left that out because this is a concern I raised and I'll deal with.

As a committee member who spends a LOT of time working for the club I get tired of comments criticizing what either I or the Committee as a whole do.

To see those words directly above the declaration that you are an Ex member could be interpreted the way I have.

I suggested that instead of deleting your signature I would send a PRIVATE MESSAGE to you as a friend to explain how I felt and ask you to remove it.

Thanks Steve.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I think it's offensive enough to admit being a Johnny Cash fan.....

Hey how can you dis the man that brought us classics like "a boy named Sue"

And Rob, maybe the royal "we" should have given a long term contributor to the forum, the benefit of the doubt rather than act as judge, jury and executioner, with knee jerk reactions like that you could work for the BBC as a journalist.

I chose to make it public because I was so gobsmacked that I felt compelled to share it, plus I was so annoyed that if I had have replied by PM I might have said something I might regret

I'm done with this, and perhaps need to take a couple of Amlodopine to keep the BP under control

Last edited by a moderator:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, just got in from playing badminton and seen that a PM of mine to a person who I considered to be a friend is being discussed on the Forum.

If we are discussing this in the open then this is what I sent to Steve:

Steve, I noticed this the other day:

"It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks" Acts 9:5

Ex member 111

Why are you declaring that you are an Ex member?

I interpret that as a kick against me and other Committee Members. Please can you remove both parts.

Obviously I would prefer that you rejoined and as a mate who I have spent many happy hours with it upsets me to think that you feel compelled to post such comments. In fact you encouraged me to join the Committee.

Regards, Rob

There was a little bit more which mentioned that a fellow Committee member agreed with my interpretation - I have left that out because this is a concern I raised and I'll deal with.

As a committee member who spends a LOT of time working for the club I get tired of comments criticizing what either I or the Committee as a whole do.

To see those words directly above the declaration that you are an Ex member could be interpreted the way I have.

I suggested that instead of deleting your signature I would send a PRIVATE MESSAGE to you as a friend to explain how I felt and ask you to remove it.

Thanks Steve.

So Rob you and another anonymous committee member consider that Steves sig is a direct attack on you(and other committee members). Steve + me + Franky + Bigblock dont see it that way.
Are you now going to remove it using your admin/committee status???
Cos Steve sure aint going to remove it himself!!
You have a mandate from the membership as a committee member to do it.

SeanDezart Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac
Quod Erat Demonstrandum

And what can tempt YOU to become an old ex member - no reference to members, tools, sharpened sticks or skcirps for the dyslexic
Do I take it from your post that you dont want me to renew my membership???:lol:

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
i do not lead i do not follow

I mean this in a nice way,it seems like a smidgen of ignorance/misunderstanding and misinterpretation is on the loose.Perhaps the phrase could be seen as offensive by some,but having acts 9.5 bunged on the end ought to prompt research/understanding.You all contribute time,info and resources to other members that most people wouldn't be prepared to do.I personally would leave the quote (but who am i). I was well aware and familiar with it because my head is full of useless info .But everyone can view everything differently but surely now it's out in the open and understood you can all move on amicably.I'm off to work.

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Simple mis-interpretation?

I'm not taking sides as it's too early / late in the morning and most of you're in bed / couldn't care anyways. To me it seems like a simple case of mis-interpretation, which, when put into context / backed up with some content is harmless. But, to what the public? Each to their own. I'd not knock either the accused or accusé as neither is at fault (really). Turn caps back the right way and remain as quick around t'track as you always are and not worry... For club and country (and Sean).

There ain't no grave... 'Can hold my body down..!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Simple mis-interpretation?

... For club and country (and Sean).

There ain't no grave... 'Can hold my body down..!

How about asking by PM what the phrase implies, what the signature owner wants to say BEFORE mis-interpreting ? Kinda like no pre-judgement....:unsure:

LOL

It's gravity that gets you mate - not magnetism.;)

Steve + me + Franky + Bigblock dont see it that way.
Do I take it from your post that you dont want me to renew my membership???

+1 - doesn't offend me either.

I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do and you wouldn't listen anyway. It just seems incoherent with past comments and I wonder what you think you get for your £15 or is it the pride of helping THE Club ?:)

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
Lets cut to the chase here guys
The use of the phrase
It's hard for thee to kick against the pricks" Acts 9:5
directly above
ex member 111
was posted there for a reason and one reason only

What disappoints me is that a concern was raised, in my view correctly, by a private message was then instead of replying by a private message the reply was made in the open forum

May be I am paranoid and have lost the plot but I believe the reason to use the forum as the way of replying is to further highlight the use of the phrases,

ex member 111

and the use of the Statement

And to those paranoid enough to have thought I was referring to them as pr**ks..........certainly not, in fact your the complete opposite

is IMHO was posted in an attempt to belittle certain people on here

From the posts in this thread it would appear that myself Rob Gaskin and another committee member who thought the phrase had an intended double meaning are completely out of touch with the general feeling of the more active users of this forum

Although this may sound a bit like sour grapes on but in a way wonder what is the point of me working my butt of getting a club face book page up and running in the last two weeks in an attempt to get more Z Owners more aware of the z club website and existence of the club and its members only for when they come on here it does not seem to be a very friendly place

There is also another issue that this thread has highlighted and that is that although website member are not allowed a signature and any subscribed members signatures are automaticly removed and stored if a particular membership is lapsed and for some reason Steves has stayed in place because of some glitch in the system

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
Well not taking sides,(what a cop out) but i suppose the issue boils down to ascertaining/interpretating intent of the phrase and that is something i will never know as a relative newcomer, i just comment on what writing i see black and white, if there are underlying issues/history and grey areas on a personal level that i am not aware of then i personally have nothing more to add.

Gio

Well-Known Forum User
John II:35. Perhaps we should 1 Timothy 5:23. I'll only say this thread got me at long last to look at the Facebook page which is triff.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Lets cut to the chase here guys
The use of the phrase
directly above
ex member 111
was posted there for a reason and one reason only

Well theres the gospel according to you Steve and lets face it, many things are according to you aren’t they.

I have already provided evidence that this phase has been around for a long time and that I have been aware of it and used it personally for at least 5 years I have also demonstrated a legitimate reason for its use, Rob you have sat in and driven my car with it embroidered on the seat covers and never said a word, maybe the committee should petition the Johnny Cash estate to have the lyrics removed from the song as it offends a (quiet frankly) over sensitive pair of old farts....I know lets re write the Bible.

Matybe there is another agenda at work here, one of control and power.

Grow a skin for gods sake and get in touch with the real world.

I have told you, I am not taking it off so either you do it, or its stays, now back off and get on with something more useful like running the club.