L28 3.1

dappastyle

Well-Known Forum User
Hi people,

I've done a search on here before starting this post, I'm not sure if i've looked hard enough but does anyone have experiences up-rating a L28 to a 3.1?

Has anyone done it on here?

Also, has anyone have any ideas where to get a spare L28 please?

Cheers

Chappers

Club Member
I have 90% of the parts for my 3.1stroker engine but it is a long way from getting built - as is the 240z it is going in.

There are some on here who have had them built and a few have built them - search under the word stroker.

I may be able to get another crankshaft but the chap with the engine is holding out for more money!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
A 3.1 isn't cheap ! You haven't looked hard enough but I understand you wanting to short-cut !:)
There are several people on here with strokers, some more discreet than others, there are several in-build atm and some that build for others.

I know that Dave Jarman has an almost complete kit that could be for sale.

Hope that you're planning to beef up everything else too with an engine similar.;)

ben240z

Club Member
Hi people,

I've done a search on here before starting this post, I'm not sure if i've looked hard enough but does anyone have experiences up-rating a L28 to a 3.1?

Has anyone done it on here?

Also, has anyone have any ideas where to get a spare L28 please?

Cheers
In my opinion the hardest part is going to be finding a block that will take the 89mm rebore and still leave enough metal in the block to retain the strength. Money spent sonic testing the block you intend to use to measure wall thickness will save money later.

I would ask the question what are you hoping to achieve from a 3.1 that you can't get from a good 2.8?
Followed by the question what are you going to use the engine for, road or race?
Good luck with your quest and feel free to ask questions. Just be prepared for a wide range of answers, advice and names of people to go to for work/parts etc
Ben

status

Well-Known Forum User
take note from wot Ben said,allthough i have a 3.1,no complaints and goes like stink,if you r in essex herts or near i can take you for a spin anytime

dappastyle

Well-Known Forum User
A 3.1 isn't cheap ! You haven't looked hard enough but I understand you wanting to short-cut !:)

I do apologise lol. I just didn't look hard enough. Once stroker was put in, it all became clear!

I'm just thinking ahead really, I want a road car to be pushing about 250/300bhp. It's a weekend toy so would like a bit of poke to go with on spirited drives. Just been thinking of keeping the car carb'd instead of EFI with something like an RB26DET.

Hope that you're planning to beef up everything else too with an engine similar.;)

You may know what engine I have lol.

Thanks again.

dappastyle

Well-Known Forum User
In my opinion the hardest part is going to be finding a block that will take the 89mm rebore and still leave enough metal in the block to retain the strength. Money spent sonic testing the block you intend to use to measure wall thickness will save money later.

Hi Ben,

I've still lots to learn with the L series engines, but that advice is great. Thanks for that.

I would ask the question what are you hoping to achieve from a 3.1 that you can't get from a good 2.8?

What is achievable from the L28 for road use?

Followed by the question what are you going to use the engine for, road or race?
Good luck with your quest and feel free to ask questions. Just be prepared for a wide range of answers, advice and names of people to go to for work/parts etc
Ben

Cheers Ben, it's greatly appreciated.

Would anyone be so kind to write a list of reliable tuners that you would head to do this?
Again, apologies about this. I know a great deal of Japanese tuners who tune different engines but they aren't old school tuners with experience of the L series engine.

Thanks again.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Would anyone be so kind to write a list of reliable tuners that you would head to do this?
Again, apologies about this. I know a great deal of Japanese tuners who tune different engines but they aren't old school tuners with experience of the L series engine.

Thanks again.

Dave Jarman is your man :bow:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Just been thinking of keeping the car carb'd instead of EFI with something like an RB26DET.

So do you want tuners of RBs with carbs or L series ?:confused: There is a discussion here somewhere of an RB30 too !

L28 well sorted but driveable on the road on carbs 230bhp - with efi, ask Skiddell but isn't he going stroked too now ?;)

But the beauty of extra ccs isn't more power, it's lots of lower down torque - if it's a road car you want, go for the torque. Having more power is merely the result of experienced engineering - why not have what is due to you after your investment.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I would think a 3.1 a LOT more expensive and trouble to source parts/machining etc.

On the road - go with a good 2.8, put a 3.9 diff in it and drive it hard.

dappastyle

Well-Known Forum User
So do you want tuners of RBs with carbs or L series ?:confused: There is a discussion here somewhere of an RB30 too !

L28 well sorted but driveable on the road on carbs 230bhp - with efi, ask Skiddell but isn't he going stroked too now ?;)

But the beauty of extra ccs isn't more power, it's lots of lower down torque - if it's a road car you want, go for the torque. Having more power is merely the result of experienced engineering - why not have what is due to you after your investment.

Sorry, i don't think what I wrote came across well.

I wouldn't mind a bit more power and speed but was thinking of going down the RB route further down the line. Thinking about it more, sticking with an L engine is better as it keeps it too it's roots and not bastardising but i would be still open to the option of RB'ing it as i know tuners who are experienced in tuning this engine well.

Again thanks for the advice.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Maybe think about the smaller lightweight SR20 instead, Mine made 520 bhp and 445 ft lb's lol. You can get an easy 350 bhp out of the standard engine with the right turbo/injectors and good mapping.

I've seen SR20's running over 800 bhp in Japan so please don't say it can't do a good job in an old Datsun guys, I'm still thinking about fitting one myself rather than go to all the expense of trying squeeze a poultry 230 out of an L series.

Rob

dappastyle

Well-Known Forum User
Poultry L series engine?

Come on Rob, you can't be saying that! I know you're SR biased having a baby godzilla but do they have the noise of the straight 6?

I know of a tuner in the mids who tunes SR's incredibly well, hitting 500bhp. This car regularly hit the limiter as it was a competition drift car.

Also, would you need to do any fab work to house the SR, new mounting points?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I would like to see an SR20 in a 240 (bet that surprised a few people). 240s are a lightweight car with a big heavy engine. A SR20 set well back and low should be good.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
We are talking about a four cylinder here - right ?

Don't suppose we can be biased when people are fitting 8s in them as well, turbos and superchargers.........is it worth (and even appreciated) to mention that a Z without an L series is just a kit car ?:rolleyes:

And that 200+bhp in an S30 is a lot of fun, it aint about how fast, it's the 'period feel' !

I know this is falling upon deaf ears - I 'm only saying it for the form.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Dappastyle,
If you have done a search on "strokers" you would have come along what I have done. ... though gone from 3.1litre to 3.2 litre.

As touched on here, it can be an expensive project, more than a well sorted 2.8, but what you are getting is more torque. Some have built there own, some have a Dave Jarman built 3.1, and like me, went to the US for mine. If you decide to build your own don't expect a huge amount of horses, as it takes a lot of experience to get the best out of a L series stroker...not just a case of flinging some parts together.

Cheers
Ian

JakTheRuby

Club Member
A 230bbp flat six in a beautifully balanced sports car is not a small amount at all. The car weighs only a tonne so if you can use it properly, it's a brilliant package. 500bbp Pulsars (again...) are all fine and dandy in a straight line but toilet on a twisty track or 'roads' as they are more commonly known. The search for massive horsepower in an s30 by some simply mystifies me (except the guys lighting up the drag strip, where power as well as blistering reflexes are king :devil:)

You don't have to look to far (in the club) to see that as a 'sports' car, the s30 is a real 'Winner' (Stefan, Willie, Ben, Hugh etc...)