%&#@ing diff filler plug!

Bazzateer

Club Member
I'm now soaking in the bath, aching from head to toe, feeling very sorry for myself having tried and failed to undo the diff filler plug.
The gearbox was a little low when I checked it (now topped up) so I thought I'd better check the diff as well. Can't shift it. Tried hitting the spanner with a heavy hammer, tried penetrating oil, tried heat (may not have give it enough?), tried a length of pipe on the spanner, tried hitting the length of pipe with the hammer, tried hitting my knuckles with the hammer several times. Nothing. I've only got normal sized open ended spanners so I've ordered a foot long one to see if increased leverage will work.
Can't get the windy gun on it because of the rear diff carrier and really don't want to take it all apart.
With heat what should I focus on, the plug itself and go for cherry red or the casing around it in the hope the alloy will expand quicker and release the plug?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
is it a square male plug? I'd get a square socket for it and use a breaker bar and heat on the case.
(trouble with the heating bit is that your heating the diff oil too, so it can take a lot of heat)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I had to dismantle my rear diff carrier on one car to get enough access to undo the plug and even then it was very very difficult. Do you ever think that people running modern cars and getting them serviced are missing out on all this 'fun'?

Bazzateer

Club Member
is it a square male plug? I'd get a square socket for it and use a breaker bar and heat on the case.
(trouble with the heating bit is that your heating the diff oil too, so it can take a lot of heat)
It is square, same as the gearbox filler, both 17mm. Breaker bar would be good (I have one) but I don't think a socket and breaker bar will fit, hence me using a spanner. I need to get it up higher so I can use a longer spanner with a piece of pipe on it for extra leverage.

Paul_S

Club Member
I hope you get the thing undone somehow...

So I have a question - when refitting said plug, other than overtightening it, what else can be done to help remove it later? Would it be a good or bad idea to use a little smear of copper slip on the thread for example?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Baz, sorry to hear that, if any consolation I too smacked my poor little finger’s second l cills with a lump hammer when I missed the spanner!!! Serves me right for not realising it was the wrong way for a left hand thread!! ;)

300a850fdf414812286dfd7d8d0bf187.jpg

The socket should absolutely fit and you should be OK with a breaker bar. Try again tomorrow with a fresh brain and body oh and some self penetrating oil.

c032465d3f9e77f5b41bcf1dd6170343.jpg

RyanT

Forum User
Had this earlier this week, it was completely mashed.

Had to drop the diff, smash a socket on it and use the impact gun - Then reshape it with a file.

Attachments

• 11CCFF49-2D02-4BAF-8248-F5FF929D5A7E.jpeg
    11CCFF49-2D02-4BAF-8248-F5FF929D5A7E.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 28

Bazzateer

Club Member
Baz, sorry to hear that, if any consolation I too smacked my poor little finger’s second l cills with a lump hammer when I missed the spanner!!! Serves me right for not realising it was the wrong way for a left hand thread!! ;)

300a850fdf414812286dfd7d8d0bf187.jpg

The socket should absolutely fit and you should be OK with a breaker bar. Try again tomorrow with a fresh brain and body oh and some self penetrating oil.

c032465d3f9e77f5b41bcf1dd6170343.jpg
That looks like the drain plug. Not even tied that yet. Want to get the filler plug out first.
This is my hurty finger:
20200531_193955.jpg

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ouchie!! Sorry I misread tour post - my misunderstanding !!

Paul_S

Club Member
Had this earlier this week, it was completely mashed.

Had to drop the diff, smash a socket on it and use the impact gun - Then reshape it with a file.
Nicely done! How did you get it so square with just a file?

Paul_S

Club Member
Out of interest, is there a proper tool available for the filler plug? Or do you just use an open ended spanner?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Out of interest, is there a proper tool available for the filler plug? Or do you just use an open ended spanner?

There is. It’s the same plug on the side of the gearbox too. I had to order mine from Japan - £40 - £50 landed in the UK. Let’s see if I can find my old eBay link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
I'm now soaking in the bath, aching from head to toe, feeling very sorry for myself having tried and failed to undo the diff filler plug.
The gearbox was a little low when I checked it (now topped up) so I thought I'd better check the diff as well. Can't shift it. Tried hitting the spanner with a heavy hammer, tried penetrating oil, tried heat (may not have give it enough?), tried a length of pipe on the spanner, tried hitting the length of pipe with the hammer, tried hitting my knuckles with the hammer several times. Nothing. I've only got normal sized open ended spanners so I've ordered a foot long one to see if increased leverage will work.
Can't get the windy gun on it because of the rear diff carrier and really don't want to take it all apart.
With heat what should I focus on, the plug itself and go for cherry red or the casing around it in the hope the alloy will expand quicker and release the plug?

I’ve been there. Had to buy one of these in the end.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221709332289

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk