United Kingdom
+44 7899961160
jps070967@aol.comQ

tyDescriptionUnit PriceAmount

1CRX Induction Kit 88-91.............. £20.00 20.00T
13" Silicone Straight BLUE............£3.50 3.50T
13" x 45 Degree BLUE Silicone......£15.30 15.30T

Subtotal:38.80
Shipping:8.00TT = 17.500%tax applied to itemTax:8.19 Currency is in British Pounds (GBP)
Total:£54.99 GBP

Last edited by a moderator:

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
For those that wish for it the total price was £54.99 including filter etc. the ebay user was 800 bhp. email, contact number etc is all there. I had to cut the pipe down carefuly and use most of the parts. I hope this helps out... pics below.

Attachments

• cold air 1.JPG
    cold air 1.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 158
  • cold air 2.JPG
    cold air 2.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 191

tel240z

Club Member
R u saying that i can buy the kit as pictured on your 2+2 ,or another from the other guy, if so consider it sold although im a still bit confused :thumbs:

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
R u saying that i can buy the kit as pictured on your 2+2 ,or another from the other guy, if so consider it sold although im a still bit confused :thumbs:

The carbon air box I got from skiddell, the induction kit came from the ebay seller 800bhp. It is for a Honda CRX and was £54.99 including vat and delivery. I had to cut the ali pipe down, but otherwise a dodle.

Youll have to ask skiddell the price of the air box as I cant remember.

doctorbigbum

Club Member
The carbon version of the air box is approx £200 and there is also a glass version for approx £100 - just quoting from the prices Steve Kiddell gave me very recently. Thanks Grolls for the contact details - perfect for what I am looking for - and great price too - cheers

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Looking at your photos Grolls, you should change the colour of your rad. fluid - green doesn't go well with the rest of the scheme under there !

tel240z

Club Member
Looking at your photos Grolls, you should change the colour of your rad. fluid - green doesn't go well with the rest of the scheme under there !

Oh Sean, stop pulling Grolls leg ,u know thats the colour of the overflow pipe and not the coolant, 'did u not' ???????? :conf2: i must say though a nice piece of blue wastegate pipe would look very nice, or did u want to go for the origional look Grolls :D

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Forgive me but what advantage is there from this set up?

Allows the triple carbs to suck in hooge amounts of cold, clean and filtered air. A set up like this with the airbox and filter will add 10 bhp or so to an engine.AFAIK
No doubt Skiddell can confirm the exact BHP gains.

I dont think Grolls kit was particularly cheap but it looks nice.
Non branded cone air filters like the one in the pic are available for £20 or less . then all you need is a piece of flexi aluminium air duct/brake duct tubing. bout a tenners worth.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
I dont think Grolls kit was particularly cheap but it looks nice.
Non branded cone air filters like the one in the pic are available for £20 or less . then all you need is a piece of flexi aluminium air duct/brake duct tubing. bout a tenners worth.

You know me Pete, I don't do cheap.....well I would if I could get cheap and looks the part.;)

I only stumbled upon this set up after looking at stacks of pictures that had Ali tubing with multiple bends so that I had options to cut where I needed too. I tried going round various pipe bending companies and emailing but for an extra £30 from what PMAC quotes it wasn't worth the hastle, hey atleast theres a nice shiny piece extra too...:D

If anyone is going to buy the kit; a word of warning...measure lots of times before you cut the Ali pipe because if you get it wrong it won't fit. Dont forget to order the same as I did in the first post i made as there is an extra pipe i had to purchase from the seller.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Oh Sean, stop pulling Grolls leg ,u know thats the colour of the overflow pipe and not the coolant, 'did u not' ???????? :conf2: i must say though a nice piece of blue wastegate pipe would look very nice, or did u want to go for the origional look Grolls :D

Yellow rad. cap and green tubing don't work - it screams at you !

A nice silver (quick release cap) and as stated, blue tubing would finish it all off very nicely:cool: !

tel240z

Club Member
So we are looking at about £25 per H/P then, is this with a worked cylinder head or not, as we all know webbers on standard engine has little effect

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Its not just about hp gains, its about doing things right irrespective of money or performance, making the car run more efficiently no matter what the state of tune is surely the important issue here. The airbox in question will fit twin SU's as well as triples

1. The Zed engine bay suffers badly from heat...this goes a long way to solving it drawing in denser colder air
  2. The Triple carb setup suffer from reflected pulse from the close proximity of the suspension tower...this goes a long way to solving it
  3. Open carbs are an absolute NO NO sucking in all sorts of shite and destroying your power curve (see point 2)...this goes all the way to solving it
  4. Standard filters (K&N etc) suffer from both points 1,2 and 5
  5. The single air box solution has helped smooth out and reduce the chronic torque hole that Zeds seem to suffer from at around 3500 rpm when fitted with tubular headers and I saw over 20 bhp improvement in some parts of the power curve when using this set up on Dave Walkers rolling road.
PS I make no money from the sales of these air box's each one is sold at cost, because I believe in the first sentence of this reply.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Steve, please explain the reflected pulses bit. Surely the inside of the airbox is closer than the suspension tower. Is it the 'forced' air that smooths this out?

Could a standard air-box be adapted or is the shape critical?

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Could a standard air-box be adapted ?

Short answer.....Yes if it pulled in clean fresh air from outside. Just a note; I use a cannon manifold and 40's the air box does rub on the shock tower. will thae standard air box look that good? nope!!!!!!:D

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Steve, please explain the reflected pulses bit

This all came about from one of my rolling road sessions with Dave Walker; I was interested in just how good the airbox was, verses open ram pipes so we arranged a power run with and without it. The “without” test produced a horribly “noisy” curve with peaks and troughs all over where previously there were none. We put the airbox back on and all was well. Dave later explained that he had seen this on Caterfields that after a dyno session when the hood/bodywork was replaced the state of tune changed due to the induction pulse changing due to the changed proximity of bodywork relative to induction points.

The length of any of the induction system in any combustion engine has an optimal length depending on application, runner to carb, carb mouth to ram pipe and ram pipe to bodywork etc etc, these lengths can be used to both advantage and disadvantage. If the lengths are right it can create a positive effect helping the inbound airflow, get it wrong and it can be detrimental creating out of phase shock waves from the neighbouring carb mouths, these reflect back off the hard steel inner wing and interfere with the flow entering the active carb mouth, due to its design the airbox helps reduce these by changing the distance from the carb mouth to a rigid surface (the box is tapered), providing a surface that helps dampen the pulses and providing a clean air flow.

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
Just discussed with Sean...

Yes, I want one!! :bow:

Its not just about hp gains, its about doing things right irrespective of money or performance, making the car run more efficiently no matter what the state of tune is surely the important issue here. The airbox in question will fit twin SU's as well as triples

1. The Zed engine bay suffers badly from heat...this goes a long way to solving it drawing in denser colder air
  2. The Triple carb setup suffer from reflected pulse from the close proximity of the suspension tower...this goes a long way to solving it
  3. Open carbs are an absolute NO NO sucking in all sorts of shite and destroying your power curve (see point 2)...this goes all the way to solving it
  4. Standard filters (K&N etc) suffer from both points 1,2 and 5
  5. The single air box solution has helped smooth out and reduce the chronic torque hole that Zeds seem to suffer from at around 3500 rpm when fitted with tubular headers and I saw over 20 bhp improvement in some parts of the power curve when using this set up on Dave Walkers rolling road.
PS I make no money from the sales of these air box's each one is sold at cost, because I believe in the first sentence of this reply.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Me too - can you bring two over in July please ?

Question - (and maybe Dave can answer this one too) - does it work equally well when fitted with a filter going through the lower rad. support panel hole ? see photo of Daves' car !

Would this limit the size and efficiency of the air filter ?

We, over here like our fresh air on our feet and don't want to close off the air-pick-up hole !

Last question (s) - Grolls - does the kit you quoted here fit for fitting through this hole ? If not, can you source two kits that would and what air filters to have ,

Thanks guys - all in the cause of better and better !

Last edited by a moderator:

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Me too - can you bring two over in July please ?

Question - (and maybe Dave can answer this one too) - does it work equally well when fitted with a filter going through the lower rad. support panel hole ? see photo of Daves' car !

Would this limit the size and efficiency of the air filter ?

We, over here like our fresh air on our feet and don't want to close off the air-pick-up hole !

Last question (s) - Grolls - does the kit you quoted here fit for fitting through this hole ? If not, can you source two kits that would and what air filters to have ,

Thanks guys - all in the cause of better and better !

Sean, Have a look at the ebay sellers online shop.He has various kits available, although I cant see the crx one there at the moment. His email addy and contact details are in my first post. If you bought a kit and had it posted to me, yes I would bring it over for you. I guess if the hole diamiter was of concern you could always open the hole up or use a twin set up, ie using the holes either side of the rad, primerily the air would be drawn from the closest filter and the coldest as the second pipe would have to run just above the belly pan, alot of work that.